S3, A45 sounds difference?

john71482

Reaction score
I can't help but absolutely love the sound of the A45 one pulled up next to me a few days ago and just a touch of the accelerator and it pops and crackles aggressively! But!! I just think they look nothing next to the S3! So S3 for looks and the A45 for sound! Why does the A45 sound so good! Just if I could make the S3 sound the same?! :shrug:

Reactions: tektrob
Drove an RS3 recently and whilst the exhaust note (and engine) sounded fun and extrovert, I couldn't live with it as a daily. Just became obnoxious after a few hours. The A45 doesn't sound anywhere near as good as the RS3 so I'll happily take the subdued and refined noise (real and artificial) that the S3 makes. You can ofcourse do a resonator delete in the S3 but to my ears - makes it sound a bit naff.

I can't help but absolutely love the sound of the A45 one pulled up next to me a few days ago and just a touch of the accelerator and it pops and crackles aggressively! But!! I just think they look nothing next to the S3! So S3 for looks and the A45 for sound! Why does the A45 sound so good! Just if I could make the S3 sound the same?! :shrug:

The crackles and pops / overuns are software engineered in on these cars. There is nothing like that for the S3 straight from the factory.

Other than changing exhausts u can make the standard exhaust a little fruitier if you remove the plugs at the back or if you have VCDS just conplete this simple mod. I personally prefer this.

Exhaust flaps open mode - VCDS - ( saves manually disconnecting the flaps for those that want a louder fruitier exhaust note- also ensures no VCDS error codes when manually removing and taping up plugs etc )- thx to RGS3 for this.

Exhaust flaps all open

===================
1 – Engine module
Exhaust Flaps deactivate
Byte 9
Bit 2 - Exhaust Flaps installed check box default activated – deactivate it and save as usual.

Regds
Jungle

Reactions: illingworth22
my mates just taken delivery of his a45 in satin grey sounds the nuts but it looks a wimps car.

not a fan but fun car.

As jungle says, the A45 has a performance exhaust (option) with various flaps and fuelling differences make the A45 probably one of the best sounding 4-cyl engines on the market at the moment.

In an underground car park, the overrun pops bangs and crackles are just deafening!

You can do the VCDS mods above, but even they won't give you anywhere near the same effect.

More sounds here:

Reactions: Ignition1, Simon L and Blackwhite
S3 = understated quality and performance. Was one of main reasons I bought one so happy to have a relatively dumbed down exhaust note and although I always drive in dynamic I have the internal engine noise on the comfort setting

Reactions: 4K and cpc_s3
S3 = understated quality and performance. Was one of main reasons I bought one so happy to have a relatively dumbed down exhaust note and although I always drive in dynamic I have the internal engine noise on the comfort setting

im the same ive had 3 s3s this being my 3rd and such a fun car i am bias to a rear wheel car but the s3 is one of my favourite cars looks good everywhere makes enough noise full chat.

it still bellows even backing it on to the drive i can hear it from inside when my mrs takes it out.

great little car. a45 looks too over the top spoilers and stuff. s3 is a nice place to be any merc isnt. i drove my mates c63 and thats put the cherry on the cake about merc for me - i hate them

I got pulled over by a Cop a few months back in my S3.... I did a Quick series of gear changes from a traffic light and I got the "Pull Over finger" from the Garda and the "You were going a bit rapid there lad".

I wasn't and I am 53

Is the noise worth 55 grand?
I'm sure that's the going price for the amg isn't it?

I'll keep the s3 and the change.

Reactions: cpc_s3
I got pulled over by a Cop a few months back in my S3.... I did a Quick series of gear changes from a traffic light and I got the "Pull Over finger" from the Garda and the "You were going a bit rapid there lad".

I wasn't and I am 53

I'm just waiting for that to happen to me, amazing how you get to the speed limit in say 4th gear and look behind and no one else has moved off the line :)

Now, I'm just gonna throw this out there, but 5-years ago, if your spanking new sports car, popped, crackled and farted, you'd be getting funny looks from people wondering why your fuelling was off.

Nothing wrong with a bit of CSL induction roar, or screaming E46 M3 chain saw, but the antics of todays F-Type S & R, RS3, A45...... all well and good....... but thank god you have a grown up setting and can switch it all off.

Just having a sensible moment :)

Reactions: Daveotto, veeeight and cpc_s3
As jungle says, the A45 has a performance exhaust (option) with various flaps and fuelling differences make the A45 probably one of the best sounding 4-cyl engines on the market at the moment.

In an underground car park, the overrun pops bangs and crackles are just deafening!

You can do the VCDS mods above, but even they won't give you anywhere near the same effect.

More sounds here:

Great looking car. veeeight, this might just be the car for you! :wub:

Reactions: veeeight

More sounds here:

Does sound good......................but god awful styling at the back. Looks like a Fiesta!!

Reactions: 4K
Shhhhhh, don't mention the F word ;)

(but here's the F sneak preview at Goodwood)

Reactions: Pulp84, Blackwhite and Simon L
The A45 drops fuel into the exhaust for the pops and crackles so going to be really difficult to replicate, that A45 facelift at goodwood had a back box delete done so is way louder than the standard car.
Comparing it to the RS3 is difficult they are two different sounds one sounds like a muscle car the other a rally car

The crackles and pops / overuns are software engineered in on these cars. There is nothing like that for the S3 straight from the factory.

Other than changing exhausts u can make the standard exhaust a little fruitier if you remove the plugs at the back or if you have VCDS just conplete this simple mod. I personally prefer this.

Exhaust flaps open mode - VCDS - ( saves manually disconnecting the flaps for those that want a louder fruitier exhaust note- also ensures no VCDS error codes when manually removing and taping up plugs etc )- thx to RGS3 for this.

Exhaust flaps all open

===================
1 – Engine module
Exhaust Flaps deactivate
Byte 9
Bit 2 - Exhaust Flaps installed check box default activated – deactivate it and save as usual.

Regds
Jungle

Does this improve the standard exhaust sound making it louder/better? or does this just simply open the exhaust flaps across all the driving modes i.e the current sound of the exhaust in dynamic mode will now be the same in comfort ,eco etc.

Reactions: OliS3
Does this improve the standard exhaust sound making it louder/better? or does this just simply open the exhaust flaps across all the driving modes i.e the current sound of the exhaust in dynamic mode will now be the same in comfort ,eco etc.

It opens the exhaust flaps all of the time across all modes. The difference being that they are open even from low rpm (some modes activate after appx 4k rpm normally). So it improves the sound throughout the rev range and is louder all of the time, without being over intrusive. It basically means you do not need to be " on it " to enjoy a better sound. I think its an improvment over the norm for those that want a bit more sound without changing the stock exhaust.

It opens the exhaust flaps all of the time across all modes. The difference being that they are open even from low rpm (some modes activate after appx 4k rpm normally). So it improves the sound throughout the rev range and is louder all of the time, without being over intrusive. It basically means you do not need to be " on it " to enjoy a better sound. I think its an improvment over the norm for those that want a bit more sound without changing the stock exhaust.

I was hoping that would be the reply :) I'm making a list of VCDS changes. Do you have the details of how to do it please?

I was hoping that would be the reply :) I'm making a list of VCDS changes. Do you have the details of how to do it please?

Exhaust flaps all open

===================
1 – Engine module
Exhaust Flaps deactivate
Byte 9

Reactions: OliS3

Exhaust flaps all open

===================
1 – Engine module
Exhaust Flaps deactivate
Byte 9

Thanks a lot, added to the list :)

I don't think the standard S3 quad exhaust sounds too bad at all. Here is what my stock S3 exhaust sounds like... Start up / Downshifts / Burps and a quick mini launch in the video.

Reactions: RyyC, pburv and S3joey
Nice video! Out of interest did you use an external mic? I have a camera similar to a gopro, and the video quality is amazing, but whenever trying to make an 'on the car' video I always end up with loads of wind noise which ruins it

Can't think I'd want anything less than the stupid noises from that A45.
Thank God I have a manual so no Farts and Burps at all

Nice video! Out of interest did you use an external mic? I have a camera similar to a gopro, and the video quality is amazing, but whenever trying to make an 'on the car' video I always end up with loads of wind noise which ruins it

Just a gopro with a windsock.

Reactions: azibux1
I don't think the standard S3 quad exhaust sounds too bad at all. Here is what my stock S3 exhaust sounds like... Start up / Downshifts / Burps and a quick mini launch in the video.

Thanks jungle650..
Really enjoyed that vid...:friends: