2006 Audi A3 Sportback SLine

DannyM91

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just a quick one, recently bought an Audi A3 Sportback Sline 2.0TFSI, on the first day of owning the car noticed that the thermostat had failed so I returned it to where I bought it and they fixed it.
Driving it for about 5 days now and this morning noticed that the rear wiper isn't operating, put it down to it being frozen but after everything had thawed out it's still not working. A quick search on here has turned up the motors failing which I presume it is this.
In the morning when I start the car up I get a coolant alert on the middle of the dashboard, have checked the coolant level and this seems fine, if I turn the car off and back on again I don't get this fault.
I haven't had the car scanned yet but should be able to get this done this week.

The real question here is; am I in the right position to get the dealer to pay for this to be fixed or is it one of those things that I should just get fixed?

Thanks

Danny

Get the dealer to fix it mate :)

Reactions: DannyM91
Have went back to them and they are going to pick it up tomorrow.
I think the coolant alert is probably to do with the prongs getting corroded/rusty over time and sending false signals.
The rear wiper will probably be the motor as I can hear a relay clicking when trying to use it.

Danny

Mine needed a thermostat too!
Told them on the test drive it needed one. They took no notice. It's even on the sales agreement.

Cost me £151 at my local garage. Sent them a copy of the bill last week asking for a contribution...... Awaiting a reply.... Not holding out much hope

Well, when I went to test drive the car I noticed it and mentioned it they said they would have a look...
On agreeing to buy the car from them I got them to agree to timing belt, water pump and tensioner along with a service and MOT.
So this will be the second time within a week of having the car that it will be going back to them, hopefully they get everything all sorted this time.

Danny

Hi,

I had a 56 plate A3 sport back S-line and I had both of these problems over the course of ownership.
On my car the rear wiper problem, was the indeed the down to the motor failing and the coolant temp fault light on the dash, was down to the contacts in the expansion bottle corroding.
Both cases required new parts, the wiper motor was a bit steep, but the coolant bottle was only about £20 or so fitted (from memory).

Hope you can get both sorted by the dealer.

Cheers,

You did well to get them to put a cam belt & water pump on

I would make sure the dealer knows you are not happy with the problems and when you get it back I would get it checked by the AA or another garage and if they haven't fixed it properly they would be getting it back .

Bit of an update;
Came to pick up the car this morning, couldn't get the coolant light to come up, have drove it down to their garage and have agreed the rear window wiper isn't working, but will sometimes work.
I've told them what the two problems probably are and that the rear window wiper needs to work 100% of the time rather than just some of the time.
The car is going to get checked over by my local performance garage [Automek in East Kilbride] so hopefully after everything I'm sorted.

Danny

Just a quick update;

Car returned from the dealer this evening, they couldn't replicate the coolant fault so wouldn't do anything about it, which is a bit rubbish but can almost understand it...
Rear wiper motor replaced and working but now the water isn't coming out the wiper, investigated this further found it all seemed to be connected up right, but the trim was filling up with water... Really annoyed at this point so its going back tomorrow morning first thing for them to properly fix it, then its heading straight to Automek for a full check over.

Seem to be quite a few minor annoying problems that are becoming more and more painful every day, car was bought over a week ago now and I've driven it for three days in total...

Danny

Unlucky mate, I never even knew my rear wiper was broken, It was the DEALER THEMSELFS! That found it broken and fixed it before I even got my car haha, Too bad the haldex system was busted and thats something they never told me about, But having a code reader is the best thing ever. Forced them to fix it, A good grands work there, :B I love warranty !

Would the Haldex throw up a light or anything?
Also I dont think this is quattro, so would I be right in saying there is no Haldex system in it?

Danny

Haldex is quattro so if you don't have it dont worry about it. I would 100% scan the car for codes though before warranty runs out. I got them to fix 99% of my errors.

Good stuff, thanks.
Take it the best way to scan is via VagCom?

Danny

Thats what i use, prefect and cheap. Always good to have around too.

Be very careful using non genuine cables and non up to date software. a cheap cable might get you out of a small hole but you may end up in an even deeper one further down the line.

Just another wee update on the on going saga;

Got the car back wiper all fixed happy as can be. Took it up to Automek just for a final check over. Found that the rear drivers spring has been snapped and rusted over ie not over the past week. Bald tyre and a screw in the tyre, the car was put through an MOT on me buying it and all of this should really of been picked up not sure what I can do here ...
Have phoned them and they don't believe what I'm telling them. They want to take the car to a different garage for an inspection themselves...

Danny

Just seem to be going round in circles with this company... At the point of giving them the car back and getting a full refund if the outcome of Monday isn't satisfactory.

Danny

Just another update;

Car was taken down to their independent garage, went through each fault they tended to agree without much hassle.
Spring fixed, tyre repaired and all invoices printed and given to me.
Fairly happy with the outcome, but would of liked to get some more stuff, but can't complain.

Danny

That's quite a list of faults fixed for you. Who is the dealer? I think they are Heroes.

Dealer was Central Garage EK... Have to say although there was faults with the car my experience with them has been quite good, a bit slow at times but apart from that a good dealer.

Danny