Any advice?

Ben1992

Reaction score
so having taken the plunge my A3 is due before the end of Jan, I have ordered brilliant black, which I know can be a nightmare to keep clean. Any advice on keeping it as good as new would be appreciated.

Ben

Jump over to DW where you get all the info you need. The detailing section on here is pretty good as well. Simple rule with black, touch it as little as possible.

Reactions: Bristle Hound and Simon L
so having taken the plunge my A3 is due before the end of Jan, I have ordered brilliant black, which I know can be a nightmare to keep clean. Any advice on keeping it as good as new would be appreciated.

Ben
Get it coated with a ceramic coating, loads of different brands on the market and loads of differing opinions on these

Reactions: Rob2k68, Scottyg and Simon L

Ben
Hi Ben.
Welcome to the forum.Apart from regular car washes I would recommend getting your paintwork protected (detailed). There are plenty of products on the market,but I would suggest you get it done professionally by a reputable car detailer.. Don,t be tempted by your Audi dealer offering this service(they charge far to much and it won,t be as good as a professional detailer)..Looking forward to seeing pics of your new car..:footy:

Reactions: Simon L
Might be worth taking the plunge and buying a DA too should it pick up any swirls or similar annoyances.

I think I'd be tempted with a pro-detail on a black car.......that's certainly what I had planned when I originally specced my S3 in Panther.

I haven't bothered on mine as I reckon Daytona is a lot easier to maintain.........so far I'm happy with that decision but ask me after the winter months and that might change!! lol

Reactions: Rob2k68, Scottyg, pburv and 1 other person
Jump over to DW where you get all the info you need. The detailing section on here is pretty good as well. Simple rule with black, touch it as little as possible.
@Ben1992 - ^ This :thumbs up:

Black is a nightmare colour if you suffer car OCD. Fantastic when clean but they stay clean for very long no matter how hard you try

PS DW = Detailing World
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/index.php

Detailing section on ASN has plenty of useful info in too
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/forums/detailing-sponsored-by-slims-detailing.116/

Reactions: Rob2k68, Scottyg, Jassyo06 and 1 other person
I think I'd be tempted with a pro-detail on a black car.......that's certainly what I had planned when I originally specced my S3 in Panther.

I haven't bothered on mine as I reckon Daytona is a lot easier to maintain.........so far I'm happy with that decision but ask me after the winter months and that might change!! lol
Off topic slightly mate l went over me paint work the other night with the led torch theres very little swirls if any at the moment,that's due to not waxing /polishing the car, double dunt of snow foam each wash and maybe the use of C1???? Very happy with Audi paint all in all

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Simon L
Off topic slightly mate l went over me paint work the other night with the led torch theres very little swirls if any at the moment,that's due to not waxing /polishing the car, double dunt of snow foam each wash and maybe the use of C1???? Very happy with Audi paint all in all

Yeah I agree mate, as you know mine gets snow foamed every week and so far the finish has stayed pretty perfect..................fantastic paint as you say.

I think the Autoglym I used the other week really brought the shine up too.............definitely gonna give the Gyeon a go though for comparison.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Rob2k68
........oh and any contaminents, bird poo, tree sap whatever get blitzed within seconds!! The neighbours probably think I'm barking the number of times I race out the front door with me rags and towels!! lol

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Rob2k68
Good luck with black, I had a love hate relationship.
Loved it after it was polished.
Hated it the minute it moved as it would show every spec of dust/dirt.

Definitely look at a ceramic coating, I am well happy with mine carpro Quartz.

........oh and any contaminents, bird poo, tree sap whatever get blitzed within seconds!! The neighbours probably think I'm barking the number of times I race out the front door with me rags and towels!! lol

LOL I'm not the only one then, I have Autoglym wipes in the boot with a couple of cloths, and Poorboys Bird Sh#t remover on a hook near the garage door for a quick squirt when required when stood on the drive

Ask them not to let the chimps at the dealers clean it before you pick it up, ask them to leave it as is. They will do untold damage to black wiping it with dirty cloths before you get it !

Ask them not to let the chimps at the dealers clean it before you pick it up, ask them to leave it as is. They will do untold damage to black wiping it with dirty cloths before you get it !

Oh not this friggin fairytale again!!

I accept it's happened but seriously to suggest that every Audi dealership is employing quasimodo with a 20 year old chamois leather that's been kicked down the road for half an hour specially just to prep your car with is kinda stretching things a bit!!

Personally, I passed on the exorbitant new car detail from Audi but the actual prep they did on mine was fantastic.

Reactions: Jassyo06
And do you think they take a new cloth for every car , and replace it immediately if they drop it on the ground ? I had a brand new black vxr a few years ago , and was offshore when it was delivered . The paintwork was in a poor state (in my eyes) , I know "Audi" dealers are the "cream of the crop ;) " , but not sure their extensive training program on detailing is up to the same standard as mine ?

And do you think they take a new cloth for every car , and replace it immediately if they drop it on the ground ? I had a brand new black vxr a few years ago , and was offshore when it was delivered . The paintwork was in a poor state (in my eyes) , I know "Audi" dealers are the "cream of the crop ;) " , but not sure their extensive training program on detailing is up to the same standard as mine ?

Vauxhall paint is rubbish, had 2 vauxhalls and the paint from the manufacturer was p*ss poor, probably nothing to do with dealer prep at all

Like I said I fully accept it happens but you can't generalise and say every dealership will sh*g up your paintwork.

For starters, how in hell is it in their interest to do this?? As a customer you have every right to say I'm not happy with the paintwork, get it sorted or I'm not accepting it.

Of course they'll be the odd disgruntled employee, on minimum wage no doubt, who feels like taking out out his woe on Audi customers just the same as the odd employee in KFC who p1sses on your takeaway but generally speaking I believe this is an over-egged myth!!

.......ok BH the floor is all yours........................you can tell us about quasimodo who works in your local dealers...................!! lol

Reactions: Bristle Hound
Like I said I fully accept it happens but you can't generalise and say every dealership will sh*g up your paintwork.

For starters, how in hell is it in their interest to do this?? As a customer you have every right to say I'm not happy with the paintwork, get it sorted or I'm not accepting it.

Of course they'll be the odd disgruntled employee, on minimum wage no doubt, who feels like taking out out his woe on Audi customers just the same as the odd employee in KFC who p1sses on your takeaway but generally speaking I believe this is an over-egged myth!!

.......ok BH the floor is all yours........................you can tell us about quasimodo who works in your local dealers...................!! lol

Mine was prepped in the same dealers as BH and no issues at all. Had 2 new cars from them this year and both were top notch

Not saying that at all ...

When I wash my car it take an hour at least , two buckets , dozen cloths , and a lot of care . This prevents the paint getting swirled , marred or scratched . Are you seriously telling me that the dealer takes the same care with your car . If you do not care about the odd swirl / micro scratch and you are not going to be getting a brinkman(showing my age !) on it the you will be happy as a pig in brown stuff . I am guessing since the op started this thread he does , Abd asked for advice . Mine being a keen detailer is to ask the dealer not to start the damage before you get a chance to get some protection on it. Been there, done that :)

Yeah I agree mate, as you know mine gets snow foamed every week .....

I've managed to contain myself, having not snow foamed on it even once....

If it was an RS3, weeeellllllll :witless:

As a rule I don't let any dealer wash my car if it goes in for any warranty work. However, my car was preped by Glasgow Audi and it was flawless and I'm OCD about my cars. In my experience VX are the worst. Audi have been the best service yet.

Reading this thread...can't wait to clean my car. Coming up to two weeks now and I twitch when I see it. Too much rain on the weekend.

They're building a ton of new houses down the road and the road around that bit is covered in wet sand and mud - workers probably think I'm a right tart when I drive a 5mph through it all, trying not to get my car dirty.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Simon L
This is why I avoid dealers cleaning my car ...

http://www.finerdetails.co.uk/2014/03/audi-q5-new-car-detail-correct-the-dealers-mistakes/

Mine was nearly as bad as this when I picked it up . But I am Mr OCD as well ! Again not saying they are all like this , but wouldn't take a chance , always told BMW not to do their free valet when putting my cars in ...

Need to get the S3 properly done , not had a chance to attack it with the da yet ...

Without even clicking on the posted link,yeah its possible and does happen,but its these pro detailers sites job to highlight all this.....how else would they make a living,which in turn does instill paranoia to the new car owner

Like everything it is all about your expectations , I have been detailing cars seriously for 10 years . You would expect a brand new car to be flawless , but this is never the case . I remember a guy on Dw attacking his brand new Lexus with wet'n'dry paper , did the whole car , that's dedication ! You see some nice cars all swirled to pieces and wonder why the owner bothered paying so much for a car and not taking care of it ...

This is why I avoid dealers cleaning my car ...

http://www.finerdetails.co.uk/2014/03/audi-q5-new-car-detail-correct-the-dealers-mistakes/

Mine was nearly as bad as this when I picked it up . But I am Mr OCD as well ! Again not saying they are all like this , but wouldn't take a chance , always told BMW not to do their free valet when putting my cars in ...

Need to get the S3 properly done , not had a chance to attack it with the da yet ...

I'd simply have said that sign over was not happening until that paint was rectified. I sent my wife's last black mini back three times. From scratch on the cladding they tried to fill in with black paste to actual scratches on the bonnet. Dealer Principal actually ended up fixing it himself as he was a former detailer.

Lol , at least there was somebody there with a clue !

Reactions: Scottyg
Like everything it is all about your expectations , I have been detailing cars seriously for 10 years . You would expect a brand new car to be flawless , but this is never the case . I remember a guy on Dw attacking his brand new Lexus with wet'n'dry paper , did the whole car , that's dedication ! You see some nice cars all swirled to pieces and wonder why the owner bothered paying so much for a car and not taking care of it ...

My expectations are pretty sky high I can assure you!

I'd read a few horror series of new dealer preps (including our very own moderator's!) before I collected mine but do you know what ..................the devil inside me said 'I'm really not buying this so lets just put it to the test.........'

If the paintwork was anything less than perfect I wouldn't have hestitated for one second about rejecting it. But it was perfect and as you can see above I'm not the only one saying it.

I accept your point of view and your decision not to let Audi touch your car but don't assume my standards are any lower than yours :)

I think you all know my feelings on this subject lol
BUT hey. The cars are your people's cars & its your money. If your happy I'm a happy Hound :D
Mine was prepped in the same dealers as BH and no issues at all. Had 2 new cars from them this year and both were top notch
@dolo - You must have been lucky my friend
I've seen them at our Dealers first hand washing new & used cars & I WOULD NOT let them anywhere near mine
My mate is a Pro-Detailer who sorts out this particular Dealer's bodywork woes. Now he can tell you a lot of storys about their prep work.
He says's the Dealer does keep him in a fair bit of work

Reactions: Bainie, Scottyg and Simon L
Clarke at polished bliss also had to fix a poor S5 , red one which was in a poor state when it left the dealer ...

As you say , Everyman to his own ... simon, sorry I never said or assumed your standards were lower than mine , it was a general sweeping statement :)

Reactions: Bristle Hound and Simon L
I think some dealers are worse than others, and it does depend on your level of OCD, but for me no dealer will wash my car to my standards. Annoyingly I asked my dealer not to prep my new S5 but they did wash it. Must of been one of the first cars as my car is nowhere near the state of that red one!! There are holograms and swirls though, particularly down by the stone guards.

Will be doing a full polish and ceramic coating as soon as the weather gives me a chance!! Feels so wrong driving it about with no protection on it :(

Reactions: Bristle Hound