8P S3 or S3 sportback ? which one to buy ? opinions , pro's vs con's ???

josh2303

Reaction score
basically im thinking of buying an S3 just not sure whether to go for the s3 hatch or s3 sport back ? pictures , opninions and pro's and cons and anything else that might help me make up my mind ? any help and advice appreciated

I have a sportback. In my opinion the sportback looks better than the 3 door

Sport back if you use the back seats , the seats are the worst I have come across for folding , and putting back . Sport back looks too much like an estate for me which is why I bought the 3dr , but with hindsight I would get a sport back , I would sacrifice looks for practicality ( totally down to personal taste ) . Probably be the saloon for me next .

Personally, I only ever buy 5 door cars. So we plumped for the Sportback. I quite like it with the polished aluminium roof rails. Also great for carrying roof box and/ or bike racks. The roof bars are a lot easier to fit on our Audi as opposed to the beemer as they have little holes for ensuring the clamps are fitting correctly. Its all down to personal taste - some think the 3 door looks better and some the five door. Below is the official Audi launch photos which directed us to the Sprint Blue even though our local dealer hadn't ordered many in that colour.
S3sprintbluesportback

Sportback models cost more and will hold there price better and more particle, if your single then a 3 door, if your planning a family the sportback, estates are for caravans.

3 dr vs 5 dr practicality...that's it really.

Reactions: mister.c.
I've got a 3 door and next time would go for the 5 door, practicality again, it's a bit of a ball ache having to move the front seats every time the kids get in and out.

The 5 door has a better rear end I think. Along with better rear lights. Personal preference I think. I'm biased as I have a sportback

I've got a 3 door and next time would go for the 5 door, practicality again, it's a bit of a ball ache having to move the front seats every time the kids get in and out.

I know....

Thankfully mine are grown up so I removed the rear seats.....

Reactions: mister.c.
Josh, if it really doesn't matter to you buying a 3dr. or 5dr. just go for the best equipped car you can afford.
Only drawbacks of a 3dr. car are letting passengers in and out and if you have babies that have to go in carseats, it can be backbreaking work, getting them into the seats and buckling them up.

Reactions: S3Alex
All depends on preference and what practicalities you need.
Neither model is better then the other.
But personally i favor the sporty 3 door :rockwoot:

P.S one little draw back to the 3 door is, if you have wingbacks. You can hardly get through to the back.

Reactions: Raiden
Thanks for the replies guys , I do like the 5 door and I have a 2 year old boy so access is easy as he climbs into his seat by him self.
I guess the next question is dsg or manual ?

Reactions: Sayam
I love the DSG, the only reason for getting it was the missus only drives auto, if she drove a manual then we would have had manual, the DSG will be around 1k more as an option.

Faster, smoother changes and better MPG all things being equal, plus the 'normal' benefits of automatic boxes in traffic etc, it's a no brainer.

And don't let no one tell you about them being weak boxes etc, it's all hot air.

There is genuinely no reason to go manual anymore, unless it's for 'driving pleasure' whatever that means lol.

My next one will be dsg , never had an auto , but they are better than manual now .

I know what you mean about the 2 year old , when my son was younger it was easier in the mini as he just crawled in himself . Now with the S3 it is a pain , as he is bigger and the seats are crap ! We had a 3 series bmw at the same time and the 2 door was easier .

love me a sportback!!! more practical and look the nuts!!!

i recently bought my s3 and went for a sportback in manual only because of the history the car had and it was generally in mint condition so i sacrificed the dsg for manual. worth it i think as for me knowing the car has been taken care of is worth more to me but thats just me. good luck with your search

Reactions: cpc_s3
I had a choice of both transmissions. I stupidly chose manual.

I love manuals dsg I just don't feel involved enough I can see why people chose s-tronic but wasn't enough to sway me. I get why it's loved but just not for me.

Reactions: Hookmonster and Sayam
Pretty simple as S3 Alex said it.
Main thing is do your homework & find a good value and quality example of either.

It is true tho the rear end of a sportback is better than the 3 door.

Reactions: Sayam
i have the 3 door total pain getting people in and out plus i have buckets so that makes it harder again defiantly a sport back for me next time i also love the look of the sport back :)

I just purchased a sportback. I know how hard it is getting 2 kids in and out of a 3 door. Back breaking. But they do look better, but that's my opinion.