Front tweeter grille removal

downtothebone

Reaction score
So I've got a set of trim removal tools - what's the best way to prise them out of the pillars?

Nooooo don't pull them, you'll break them.

Remove the A-pillar and then on the reverse you'll see they're held on with little metal clip thingys, remove the metal and then the just push out.

Reactions: downtothebone and NHN
Sayam's a pro at this, so heed his advice :)

Reactions: Sayam
I was hoping I didn't have to remove the a pillar - but thanks I was prodding around the grilled and there didn't seem to be any give and I thought I'm gonna snap something so I stopped right more work than I thought ... Thanks guys. Oh by the way the rear speakers on my cabrio are components which I wasn't expecting. I'm not gonna bother replacing those as its a bit of a faff.

Sayam's a pro at this, so heed his advice :)

Thanks Nigel :)

I was hoping I didn't have to remove the a pillar - but thanks I was prodding around the grilled and there didn't seem to be any give and I thought I'm gonna snap something so I stopped right more work than I thought ... Thanks guys. Oh by the way the rear speakers on my cabrio are components which I wasn't expecting. I'm not gonna bother replacing those as its a bit of a faff.

Doing the 3 door or the cabrio (similar setup) is a right ol' mess about lol...5 door nice and easy!

Haha, I wonder how I managed to get grills out without removing a pillar, and then putting everything back together =D

Haha, I wonder how I managed to get grills out without removing a pillar, and then putting everything back together =D

Its possible to maybe remove from the front letting the metal clips fall back behind the pillar and then refit the grille but it won't be held as securely.

I can only speak of experience of working on 2009 A3 or newer so they could have had a different design...?

Yes, I fitted them back only with 2 of 3 clips :( It holds ok but I didn't know the proper removal way at that moment.

Yes, I fitted them back only with 2 of 3 clips :( It holds ok but I didn't know the proper removal way at that moment.

Proper way is to remove the whole a-pillar and then remove the tweeter grille.