Balancer Shaft/ Oil pump

Duart

Reaction score
Hi Folks

Newbie here,

I'm trying to confirm If my Balancer Shaft/Oil Pump has been replaced.

I have a B7 A4 Avant 2008 2.0TDI 170 engine code BRD which I've had about 6 months, I've recently been reading on this forum about the balance shaft Issue with these engines (which I wasn't aware of) which was a bit worrying. I then remembered there was major work carried out on my car by the previous owner about 2 years ago @ 77,000 miles which I have the Invoice for.
Apparently the oil warning light had come on and car was rescued to local Indie garage where It was repaired to the tune of over £2,500. Main parts replaced were a Housing @ £950, Oil sump @ £129 and new Turbo @ £ 675.
Not being that mechanically minded, my question is as the oil pump/balancer shaft hasn't been listed as a replaced part, is this due to the fact that It is contained In the Housing? Or is it a separate component altogether?

If it still needs done how much at risk is my car to this problem, as I've read on here the later B7's aren't quite as vulnerable.

Many Thanks In advance

The failed parts are included in the complete new assembly.

Trouble is if it's oem what do you have , the 5 point flawed 77mm hex drive ( back to square one ) or the improved 100 mm which has over double the contact length with the balancer shafts keyway ?

Sump off , circlip and pull the key to see what you have .

Thanks for speedy reply Gazwould...good to know the suspect balance shaft /Oil pump has been changed.

I'm thinking did I not read that VAG upgraded the balancer shaft/oil pump in view of this fault (but never admitted this as such) way before 2014 when the work on my car was carried out, so surely they wouldn't still be selling the suspect parts all these years later(or would they?) I hoping it will be the upgraded parts that have been fitted.
But as you say Gazwould there is only one way to find out for sure.