Calling all brilliant red cars ! (part 2 ..1 being Misano)

moonlight

Reaction score
I think I can still get away with Happy new Year

I'm still fighting with the two reds and I have to place the order this month - I may have said that last month but this month really is deadline (s line saloon pano roof priv glass..so a bit of black/red going on)..

As it's a co car I'm stuck with a fixed budget - brilliant red allows me full heated leather..misano allows me alcantara and I prefer each colour depending on what day it is...colours are so subjective so I wont ask opinions, as such,on which is the better but what I am interested in is :

a) how many brilliant red owners are still happy with the solid red
b) how easy is it to maintain...the local dealer advised me that misano needed less maintenance than the flat red and would maintain its shine for longer?

Thanks!

I absolutely love my brilliant red. I can't count the number of people that comment on how nice the colour is. I don't dislike Misano, but it's definitely not worth £500 more. If it was maybe £150 more then I might've been inclined to buy it, what with it being metallic.

Never the less, brilliant red has huge amounts of glossiness to to it, hides the dirt well and is easy to match if needed with a chip stick.

The salesman is just trying to get more out of your pocket. Paint is paint, they're exactly the same to maintain. So long as you have a good wax on your car, you won't have any problems.

Here's some shiney pictures of mine:

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris5, Daveotto and Jassyo06
Ditto. I love my Brilliant red. I agree with everything @MA3RC says.

Can't post any pics at the moment, but there are a few on here.

Very nice indeed...and thanks for cleaning it especially for this post lol..black and red look very good together...if I could see them both in the flesh side by side it would be problem solved..dealer only has a black one in...(as it happens I'm getting a black demo shortly) and the odd one I've seen on the road could have been either red as it has always been on a gloomy day (and that was in the height of summer ha)

hmm....

Reactions: MA3RC
Thanks...both....can I ask...was it budget that nudged you to the solid red or did you choose the red over the other colours?

I have never owned a red car and the saloon looks right in red (imo)...I felt this way when I had one of the first new Sciroccos...it looked right in white (and blue) before every man and his dog thought the same (but not great in red oddly)

Why does there have to be two flaming reds!!

Misano, one of the very best colours for an A3/S3
Stunning in the sunshine (should we ever get any).

I'll guarantee that if you don't go for Misano every time you see one you'll regret it.

Reactions: mister.c.
Just out of interest...IF Misano was a free colour would you have chosen it over the solid?

Last edited:
Reactions: steeve
Misano, one of the very best colours for an A3/S3
Stunning in the sunshine (should we ever get any).

I'll guarantee that if you don't go for Misano every time you see one you'll regret it.

Hmm...ha....always someone to throw a comment in that takes you to that moment in time...I can just imagine that happening...although I would be sat in a leather clad cabin..caressing it almost....

Brilliant red is that, brilliant red, letter box red. Misano is an orangey red. I don't dislike Misano at all. All im saying is if you wanted a red car then it has to be brilliant red :) I have a picture somewhere of mine with a misano. I'll try and dig it out

image-jpg.33269

Here we go :) the saloon is Misano. At the end of the day the decision is yours, there is no right or wrong choice.

Hmm...ha....always someone to throw a comment in that takes you to that moment in time...I can just imagine that happening...although I would be sat in a leather clad cabin..caressing it almost....

Leather clad, cold **** in the few months of deepest winter, heated seats take about the same time it takes to get over the shock of cold nether regions anyway. Beautiful colour has its effect 12 months a year.

Reactions: moonlight
Y
Leather clad, cold **** in the few months of deepest winter, heated seats take about the same time it takes to get over the shock of cold nether regions anyway. Beautiful colour has its effect 12 months a year.

I'm still fighting with the two reds and I have to place the order this month - I may have said that last month but this month really is deadline (s line saloon pano roof priv glass..so a bit of black/red going on)..

As it's a co car I'm stuck with a fixed budget - brilliant red allows me full heated leather..misano allows me alcantara and I prefer each colour depending on what day it is...colours are so subjective so I wont ask opinions, as such,on which is the better but what I am interested in is :

b) how easy is it to maintain...the local dealer advised me that misano needed less maintenance than the flat red and would maintain its shine for longer?

Thanks!
Solid red all day long, I had the extra money for a met colour but I was happier with the solid colour, it looked glossier.
My friend has the same car in Misano with the chrome pack and it looks great, personal preference I suppose

Both of those reds look amazing...they do look different even through the monitor...every time I see the saloon I swoon ...I have seen every colour in the flesh but only fleeting glances and has only been red and daytona that have excited....(although if was the S3 I would probably go for Sepang)

I was not particularly budget restricted. But I don't like spending £500 that I don't have to.
All cars look good when nicely polished and soon look dirty.
Black and white are the worst - I've had both and wouldn't repeat the excercise.
Other than that go for what you like. I agree that the brilliant red it just that. Spend the £500 on something else.

Both great but I'd go for Misano.......................pearlescent colours bring a little bit more to the party and are generally easier to maintain than solids

Here's two pics I took just before Christmas. The car was a filthy as it's ever been before I started.
The finished result is not highly polished, just washed and dried off with Aqua wax. I think it looks pretty good. But also shows that the car is not too bad when dirty either.
Before and after

Here's two pics I took just before Christmas. The car was a filthy as it's ever been before I started.
The finished result is not highly polished, just washed and dried off with Aqua wax. I think it looks pretty good. But also shows that the car is not too bad when dirty either.
View attachment 76167

I know I'm getting on a bit Richard but you're surely not telling us the car doesn't look dirty in the top pic??!! lol

No - it was filthy and I was ashamed of it. But it would have looked much worse if it was white!!

Reactions: Simon L
IMG 6923

Brilliant red - love it - decided it looked nicer than Misano which looked very orange on the day I compared them!

Brilliant red for me. People say misano shows its true colour in sunshine which we hardly get. Brilliant red is red Misano red is orangey red depends what you prefer.

ha ..and from that angle it looks like you are supporting that pillar!

nice pics.....

My daytona initially appears to hide the dirt very well......until its cleaned and it looks a different colour...

It's a hard decision...the dealer does have both colours but neither is an A3....and the dealer couldn't distinguish between the colours without referring to the spec sheet..I guessed correctly.(grey day).oddly they had a lotus grey saloon last summer which I would have thought was more rare than the reds...looked nice for a few minutes .....it was parked next to a misano A3 s line which put me on the red quest.

Thanks for all the pics and replies

I had this exact same dilemma when purchasing my S3 ......I am a big red fan so it was always going to be Misano or Solid.

I went Misano!

Now I have the car I kinda wish I had gone for solid Red and either saved some money or more than likely added some more gadgets! (Don't get me wrong ...I absolutely LOVE my Misano S3)

Same for the seats ....I have the parade red interior ....which looks great .....but to be honest the standard black leather seats are absolutely fine so again could have saved money or more gadgets.

End of the day it comes down to you ...... Go see some example sin the flesh. That's something I wish I had done rather than looking at pictures on-line as you never get the real feel of the colour from a picture.

Good Luck!!!

Cracking TT..and it is a cracking colour and today I feel it will be Misano...I'll see a solid red one at some point this week and change again.

I spotted a special looking red A1 at Morrisons last week...and it looked jaw droppingly good and assumed it was solid as it was very rich and configured one only to realize solid aint available so it must have been misano...must have just stepped out of a showroom as it was spotless..again a gloomy day which maybe took the orange out of the colour..I thought I could tell the difference but clearly not!...the TT above is Misano no question but then looking at Chris5's that looks a tad orangey too (I realize lighting, cameras and monitors etc affect this) and then looking at SJBarnesS3's that is most definitely solid ...in fact comparing some of these same colour pics they all look ruddy different lol

Having looked through these pics again they all look great...as David83S3 said I do need to see them in the flesh but A3 saloons are a rare sight in this neck of the woods

Apparently all refurbed/new Audi dealers (as mine is..at a cost of 2.5m!) will have an 80inch screen which promises to show actual paint colour on the cars...still waiting for the local dealer to install theirs and I cannot really imagine that the colours will be true to life coming out of a screen...

I have enjoyed looking at these pics immensely

Reactions: SW14NY'S
View attachment 76173 My first S3 was brilliant red... Loved it...
Not a 'spangle' tho :whistle2:

I see you have alcantara seats..love them or hate them?...I certainly like the look of them ....I do sometimes wonder if having two little ones should influence my choice - although they don't eat in the car (yet)

Until reading this thread I had no idea which red my car was....

Thats the new VW Golf R Estate sitting behind it by the way :)

Last edited:
50/50 chance and I have been wrong before (many times) but I'd say Misano !

If it's got metallic flecks in the paint then it's misano, if not brilliant red :)

I see you have alcantara seats..love them or hate them?...I certainly like the look of them ....I do sometimes wonder if having two little ones should influence my choice - although they don't eat in the car (yet)
Alcantara all the way my friend....

Looks like Mis to me. but it could just be the image looking orangey..either way still look snice..finding those metallic flecks is no easy task without the suns rays...golf looks nice ..is that night blue?
I don't think I have come across those timber like corridors that your neighbours have created..could almost stick a roof on there!

Looks like Mis to me. but it could just be the image looking orangey..either way still look snice..finding those metallic flecks is no easy task without the suns rays...golf looks nice ..is that night blue?
I don't think I have come across those timber like corridors that your neighbours have created..could almost stick a roof on there!

Will go and check when it stops raining..

Yes, Golf is Night Blue Metallic.

Just a brick wall with panels along the top, mainly for privacy etc.

Mine is brilliant red with same colour wing mirrors, usual chrome stuff elsewhere, dark rear windows and silver 10 spoke alloys (have a spare set of the other colour 10spokes as well) - all kind of goes together quite nicely. Mine is filthy and stays as such so for me pointless paying more for another red (which IMO can look a bit orangey)..........I did always just want red.
I did see a matt grey RS6 in the local airport a couple of weeks back, now that looked flash.
p.s. another vote for alcantara.

Thanks!
Misano all day, was lucky enough to see my Misano Red A3 saloon next to a Brilliant Red Sportback. The Misano pearl does "pop" in the sunshine. Mine has the pano roof to and looks great,I have the heated alcantara and they are a piece of p**s to keep clean (11 & 6 year olds). My wife has told me, warned me, ordered me :whip: to never have a car again without heated seats.

Reactions: SW14NY'S and Simon L