2001 8L S3 tail light faulty (driving me mad)

Dekerfer

Reaction score
Hello

I have a totally stock, meticulously maintained 130K mile silver 8L S3. It runs perfectly and I like it a lot.

Except for the fact that it has recently developed a maddening intermittent fault which I can't fix.

The driver's side tail light will work sometimes and at others won't. In terms of diagnosis, this is what I have can tell you so far:
- the dual filament bulb is fine (replaced it anyway with a new one just to make sure)
- the brake light works fine
- there is no problem with the fuse (the front side light which is on the same circuit also works fine)
- I can't tap, wiggle or knock the light to make it work (or not work on the rare occasions when it does work)
- the bulb feels snug in its socket and so I assume the connectors are butting up to the bulb properly

The only change I have made to the car is replacing a blown numberplate illumination bulb - this works fine.

I have read a few threads on forums where people identify this problem but can't find one where a solution is given; apparently there may be a similar issue with same generation Golfs?

To add to my frustration I can't see how to remove the wiring loom from the bulb holder - it looks like there are a couple of 'wings' on the loom part which need to opened up to release the off-white bulb holder. I'd like to achieve this separation to see if there is a problem with the connectors e.g. they are corroded/full of dust/etc.

Sometimes the connection will stay on or off for the duration of a trip. The biggest irritation is when the fault is intermittent on the move and the warning beeps drive me insane.

Are there any other simple checks I should be doing before admitting defeat? Can anyone explain how I can unclip the look from the bulb holder?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

These cars can be very tempermental with lights, many of us have had these issues where they work, then they dont, then they blow one after another.

All i can suggest is get some good quality bulbs and use them.

Thanks for the feedback. The bulbs are all either original or GE replacements so shouldn't be an issue.

I replaced the entire bulb holder today with a new part but no improvement.

Next step is to trace the wiring loom back across the car - it seems as though the driver's side cluster is a subset of the loom that feeds the passenger's side.

Is there a recommended tool for testing wiring to make sure that there is current?

My suspicion is a broken or damaged wire.

Anyone have any experience of this?

The tool for the job is called a power probe .
It works as a test light to show your getting voltage ( or earth ) to a given place and can also provide 12v to any chosen point and has a fly lead to test continuity aswel :)
But best of all has a circuit breaker should you get it wrong ;)

Guys thanks for the feedback, where can I find the bulb monitor? Is it something that is repairable? Tim