DSG Query

Monty2556

Reaction score
Just bought my first A3 2.0 TFSI s line. It's a 2008 model. I've had autos before which have always been very smooth at low speed manouerving. The problem I have is the gearbox is very "jerky" at low speed - both forward and reverse. Put it in reverse and nothing happens and then suddenly you're flying backwards! Same goes for trying to move forwards slowly. Is this normal and if not, any ideas?

Sounds like mine

The dsg isn't anecessarily auto it's a manual with automatic clutch. . Hence why slow speeds can get judders as it rides the clutch or fully life's it off .. well that's the non technical way I see it.. might be worn but mines the same

Same here.
The DSG system is brilliant whilst moving at speed, but it's jerky at low speeds, such as parking, it's just a thing we have to live with unfortunately.
I'm not sure if newer models are any different, maybe they've refined it these days.

I have the s-tronic box too and it's been pretty smooth at any speed. You do need to be a bit patient with it at low speeds when switching between Drive and Reverse though. If you have hill-hold function then that may be the cause of the slight jerkiness as I find it a little rough on uphill starts - I've learned to give it a second to disengage the brakes and start coasting in D before gradually applying the accelerator and that almost always give a smooth experience.

When manoeuvring, use the hand brake instead of the footbrake, as the footbrake dis-engages the clutches resulting in a bit of a jerky take-off when you accelerate. In either direction.
Otherwise, give the car a second or so after you take your foot off the brake to re-engage the clutches before using the throttle.

Agree with everything said so far.

You can reduce or increase the revs required for hill hold assist to let go...I have mine on the lower setting and that helps.

As above, Also do you know if it's always been serviced ? might be about time for an oil and filter change. They recommend every 40,000 miles and it's pretty important to keep on top of it.