Something just broke in my engine bay

billbring

Reaction score
I've had a slight whining noise from the front of the car for a couple of days now and waiting until the weekend to see if anything was amiss. Anyway, tonight I am driving home and there is a slight bang and something drops out the bottom of the engine bay and onto the road.

This immediately makes the steering go really heavy, so obviously something power steering related, but it's actually much heavier than I would imagine? The engine still sounded absolutely fine so I continue home, however every warning light came on the dashboard, one at a time, starting with the battery light.

When I got home, I took a quick look under the bonnet and everything looked normal, then underneath the car there is a hole in one of the plastic covers, which looks like it has been melted through. You can just about see it in this photo.

So, any ideas on what could have happened?

Sounds like the aux belt has disappeared! It drives the alternator, air con, and power steering, so fits all your issues.

Sounds the same as what happened to my Golf TDI

Alternator pulley fell off !!!!

Id have a look so see if belt is still on

Thanks for the replies, what do you have to take off to be able to see the alternator and drive belt? Are there any guides to changing the belt?

open the bonnet for a start!
it will be there or it wont fella

Reactions: Tj 0785, VAG-Slag, Gops and 1 other person