A few questions... my A4 Black Edition was stolen last night

No I never mentioned the car being stolen, the form never asked. Place I tried don't do cars with certain mileage. Anyone recommend anywhere?

Oh don't worry I know what GAP insurance is, it is how someone is planning to use it that is called something else!
I wouldn't have thought so. You'd have to be stupid to do something like that.

Errr, duty of disclosure?
It didn't ask for any information apart from what's on the form, I was refused due to the car mileage...

Reactions: xpoweruk
could do with that bypass thing to get a new key coded to my car, save a fortune over audis £230 quote haha:racer:

I haven't tried it, but apparently if you start the car and then place a blank key in, after 30 minutes the car will program it.
This could all be bs though

Any word back from "onboard defence.com" yet with regards to their new product?

Yeah, the product came last week. Sadly my car ain't gonna be done for another 3 weeks at least, so can't guy it yet.
No idea if he's got thatcham approval yet, al ask.

Is there much you can say about what this product is, ie is it another version of a mechanical OBD2 socket lock, or what, I'm suspecting that as they have delivered to you to try/trial it is not a Cobra or Scorpion type thing where additional wiring and fitting of other encryption bits is concerned?

Is there much you can say about what this product is, ie is it another version of a mechanical OBD2 socket lock, or what, I'm suspecting that as they have delivered to you to try/trial it is not a Cobra or Scorpion type thing where additional wiring and fitting of other encryption bits is concerned?

I'm afraid I've never had an OBD2 lock before, so I cant really comment on anything like that.
In terms of the device they've sent, al post pictures tomorrow, let you see it for yourself.

I'm getting install instructions at some point next week.

Wow i've just read the entire thread and i'm sorry this has happened to you. Horrible little rats the people who did this. Hope you get your car back good as new. Reading this thread has opened my eyes up to what could happen and i've only had my car since Sunday. Im a total noob when it comes to security on cars but would like to know what would be the best way of minimising this type of theft? I'm going to get myself a tracker but what would be the best way to protect the OBD port? Also how do the trackers work? IE do they need a sim card and a monthly subscription?

Wow i've just read the entire thread and i'm sorry this has happened to you. Horrible little rats the people who did this. Hope you get your car back good as new. Reading this thread has opened my eyes up to what could happen and i've only had my car since Sunday. Im a total noob when it comes to security on cars but would like to know what would be the best way of minimising this type of theft? I'm going to get myself a tracker but what would be the best way to protect the OBD port? Also how do the trackers work? IE do they need a sim card and a monthly subscription?

Cheers.
aint got long to reply so quickly:

Tracker is best. I didn't have chance to get mine wired into the car electrics, but best thing to do is that. I'd put in the boot compartment on the left, under all the wiring. They come with magnetic cases to make it nice and easy to hide.
Sim card yes. monthly sub no. Get one comes with a 5er credit and your sorted.

OBD port wise i'd recommend the one I was speaking about above, but it isn't on the market yet. Al be posting a review of it with install guide once I get the car back.

How long does the sim last with the £5 on?
If you never ask for a GPS update, forever...

Basically, you ring the number to get an update. The GPS automatically replies to your number with GPS co-ordinates and a google maps link.
Every text I think it sends is 10p.

Reactions: AudiLeon
Repair shop have repeatedly failed to get the car done, but apparently it will be finished on Tuesday.
Plan to fit the port, along with a new dash cam and some other bits the following Monday.
I'll post pics and such then.

I'll try be as detailed as possible with the obd port lock install.

I had a easy to see and understand slight ding with my car and spent 15 minutes with my OCD looking over the quality of the work and checking error codes etc and asking questions on how they were happy everything that should have been done had been.
You could be there hours checking out the same with all the work they are doing! Hope they have been thorough leading to the lateness.

Reactions: davc
I had a easy to see and understand slight ding with my car and spent 15 minutes with my OCD looking over the quality of the work and checking error codes etc and asking questions on how they were happy everything that should have been done had been.
You could be there hours checking out the same with all the work they are doing! Hope they have been thorough leading to the lateness.

Yeah, i think i screwed them up a little though. The first thing they said was that they had to wait for Audi to agree to programme the key, and that would take 26 days... i rang audi myself, explained what had happened and got it down to a week. I think because they expected it to be so long they put jobs in front of me and dragged their feet on mine...
Anyways, it's had a lot of work done, including new front seats (damaged by glass) a full respray, and dint removal from the nearside.
I'll be checking it with my vag com when i get it back, and test driving etc.. just hoping everything is correct after waiting so long.

Here's how it looked Tuesday last week.

Attachments

• IMG_5961.JPG
    IMG_5961.JPG
    1,004.9 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_5962.JPG
    IMG_5962.JPG
    858 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_5963.JPG
    IMG_5963.JPG
    939.2 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_5964.JPG
    IMG_5964.JPG
    969 KB · Views: 285
Reactions: mister.c.
How long does the sim last with the £5 on?

Depends on the network.

With O2 the card will die along with any remaining credit if it does not make a call or text which uses credit within 6 months. So you have to sent it a command and get it to reply every 25 weeks max or loose it.

I had one of mine time out with almost £20 on it!

Depends on the network.

With O2 the card will die along with any remaining credit if it does not make a call or text which uses credit within 6 months. So you have to sent it a command and get it to reply every 25 weeks max or loose it.

I had one of mine time out with almost £20 on it!
That's just typical **** O2 to be honest, they're money grabbing **** for a network. I'd go for a sim that the best UK coverage if I was you, obvious reasons why.

I'm thinking about a camera/cameras right now, so far just discovering too much to make any easy decision!!

Sorry if it's been covered, I only read up to page 3

To the people that think this was an 'inside job' from the 'tracking device selling company', you should think carefully about the factors in question:

No offence to the OP (I agree with you btw), but we're talking about an AUDI A4 S LINE BLACK EDITION, not a limited edition AUDI RS3 MTM. there are 1000's of A4 Black editions about nationwide. I live in a small village, and from the top of my head, I know within a few roads either side of me there's about 6, so why they would want to target one that has a tracker in, makes absolutely NO SENSE to me at all. Like others have mentioned, these newer Audi's can be coded in seconds hence why a lot have gone missing, so put yourself into the mind of a thief for a second, out of the many about, would you target the known to be, tracked one?

Secondly, they've parked the car up on fake plates, on by the looks of it, a residential street to blend in, to see if anyone comes for it. If no-one comes for it, they know it's not got a tracker. Which is exactly what it looks like to me, otherwise, the car would have been gone, or never touched in the first place, which proves, they never knew the car had a tracker.

Anyway mate, glad you got your car back. The tracker did you proud, although it was a teeny weeny bit too late, but what doesn't break you, makes you stronger. Hopefully, it will never happen to you again, and it's just one of life's tests thrown at us.

Take it easy pal

Sorry if it's been covered, I only read up to page 3

To the people that think this was an 'inside job' from the 'tracking device selling company', you should think carefully about the factors in question:

No offence to the OP (I agree with you btw), but we're talking about an AUDI A4 S LINE BLACK EDITION, not a limited edition AUDI RS3 MTM. there are 1000's of A4 Black editions about nationwide. I live in a small village, and from the top of my head, I know within a few roads either side of me there's about 6, so why they would want to target one that has a tracker in, makes absolutely NO SENSE to me at all. Like others have mentioned, these newer Audi's can be coded in seconds hence why a lot have gone missing, so put yourself into the mind of a thief for a second, out of the many about, would you target the known to be, tracked one?

Secondly, they've parked the car up on fake plates, on by the looks of it, a residential street to blend in, to see if anyone comes for it. If no-one comes for it, they know it's not got a tracker. Which is exactly what it looks like to me, otherwise, the car would have been gone, or never touched in the first place, which proves, they never knew the car had a tracker.

Anyway mate, glad you got your car back. The tracker did you proud, although it was a teeny weeny bit too late, but what doesn't break you, makes you stronger. Hopefully, it will never happen to you again, and it's just one of life's tests thrown at us.

Take it easy pal

Agree completely. To be thinking like that is just plain stupid.

For everyones info, got car back today... will post pics and such. It looks amazing and I nearly wet myself when I managed to get onto some straight road... I've been driving a citroen C1 for a month, so you can imagine the difference.

OBD port lock and Dash cam is getting fitted Monday. Al make a thread with install instructions (including where to buy).

Changed Alarm time to 0 seconds down from 15.. so thanks to who ever posted about that earlier in the thread. Absolutely shocked that someone stealing the car is given a 15 second head start.

Reactions: mister.c. and Hear-Vier
On another note, anyone know where I can get an LED light for the boot? I have one on one side but the pack I bought only came with one.. I need one for the other side.

Cheerrs!

Agree completely. To be thinking like that is just plain stupid.

For everyones info, got car back today... will post pics and such. It looks amazing and I nearly wet myself when I managed to get onto some straight road... I've been driving a citroen C1 for a month, so you can imagine the difference.

OBD port lock and Dash cam is getting fitted Monday. Al make a thread with install instructions (including where to buy).

Changed Alarm time to 0 seconds down from 15.. so thanks to who ever posted about that earlier in the thread. Absolutely shocked that someone stealing the car is given a 15 second head start.
@lukus8, good to hear you've got your car back. :)

A suggestion; don't publish too much detail about the OBD lock installation; it'll kinda defeat the purpose.

Better to make a record of it, and make it available on demand via PM.

Reactions: Bristle Hound, xpoweruk, ruairi83 and 1 other person

A suggestion; don't publish too much detail about the OBD lock installation; it'll kinda defeat the purpose.

That bit about the OBD2 port I agree with, though I for one am keen to know all about it although I seem to have already bought a different version! Okay, I still have to fit mine but the car is hiding in my garage, just need to alter the "pre-alarm time", map some modules etc, then fit the lock as it is not too easy to remove - which is how it should be!

The idea of the OBD port lock is to stop them being able to just plugin and go. Most thiefs will then run rather than hang around.. if they have time to take the dash apart to find the wiring, unglue it from the port and such then I think your screwed either way.

I've an agreement with the supplier to provide instructions and a review so I am gonna.. I get ya point though.

Yes that is the logic I am working on, ie you can't stop it ever happening, but you can make your car being less easy for them. On that front, can anyone think of why my Disklok is a tame/stylish silver/grey when the original was loud yellow??

Made up you've got your car back mate. How did you get the alarm down to 0? Will look forward to the thread on the lock.

Made up you've got your car back mate. How did you get the alarm down to 0? Will look forward to the thread on the lock.
Central Convinience > adaptation > channel 60 > change from 15 to 0.

I'm going from memory so that could be wrong though!

Yes that is the logic I am working on, ie you can't stop it ever happening, but you can make your car being less easy for them. On that front, can anyone think of why my Disklok is a tame/stylish silver/grey when the original was loud yellow??
They come in a choice of colours, IIRC. I chose silver grey in a (failed) attempt to colour code it to the car.

Reactions: rum4mo

If lowered to 0 does the alarm become to sensitive? Without sounding silly will thunder etc... Set it off? Considering changing mine but don't want to risk it going off to easily.

Thanks for the info but what tool did you use to do this?