Quattro, S Tronic & MPG..!

SilvioD

Reaction score
Hey all new to the B8 forum but not to the site.

I have just got a B8 Quattro 2.0Tdi Avant with the STronic gearbox. I had a B6 Avant 1.9Tdi (manual)

So putting 50 sheckles in my B6 gave me an approx range (according to the OBC) of 620 miles..which was very cool and made my wallet very happy.
Putting 50 sheets in the B8 gives me 450 miles.. WTF??

Does the 4 wheel drive and a gearbox that wants to always (seemingly) be at low revs by changing up early really have that much bearing on the MPG?

Any thoughts gratefully sought.

It's not just the 4-wheel drive and the auto box that you have to consider. The 2.0TDi is an inherently thirstier engine than the 1.9TDi.

It's not just the 4-wheel drive and the auto box that you have to consider. The 2.0TDi is an inherently thirstier engine than the 1.9TDi.

I did consider this but still find it hard to reconcile the 200 mile difference in range. If it was a 3.0 then maybe.

If I've read your first post correctly, in both cases, you're relying on the range displayed in the respective DIS. So there's another variable. Both cars' DIS may be accurate or inaccurate to varying degrees, but a comparison between the two will never be valid because you don't know whether and by how much each DIS has an error factor.

The only reliable way to measure fuel consumption is to brim the tank to the first click, zero the trip, then do several hundred miles of mixed, representative driving. When you're ready to fill up again, do the same thing (same pump, same first click). Convert the number of litres of fuel put in into gallons (divide litres by 4.546 to get gallons), then divide the number of miles on the trip by the number of gallons to get mpg.

You obviously can't do that now for the old car, but you can for the new one, and that will at least tell you what your true mpg is. You can then use that as a basis for judging if it's good or bad, based on what a B8 2.0TDi Avant Quattro S-Tronic should reasonably do .

Last edited:
If I've read your first post correctly, in both cases, you're relying on the range displayed in the respective DIS. So there's another variable. Both cars' DIS may be accurate or inaccurate to varying degrees, but a comparison between the two will never be valid because you don't know whether and by how much each DIS has an error factor.

The only reliable way to measure fuel consumption is to brim the tank to the first click, zero the trip, then do several hundred miles of mixed, representative driving. When you're ready to fill up again, do the same thing (same pump, same first click). Convert the number of litres of fuel put in into gallons (divide litres by 4.546 to get gallons), then divide the number of miles on the trip by the number of gallons to get mpg.

You obviously can't do that now for the old car, but you can for the new one, and that will at least tell you what your true mpg is. You can then use that as a basis for judging if it's good or bad, based on what a B8 2.0TDi Avant Quattro S-Tronic should reasonably do .

Thank you very much thats good advice and actually I can do the comparison because I still have the B6 as I didn't trade it.
I was replying on the DIS for comparison. I did not know they could be so inaccurate. I will do the test over the next few weeks. If the results are the similar to the DIS then the B8 has to go....Nah not really...

Reactions: jdp1962
Did you actually get 620 miles ? thats pretty good going if you did , Im getting about 400-450 miles from £50 from my ST which I thought was naff lol.

Did you actually get 620 miles ? thats pretty good going if you did , Im getting about 400-450 miles from £50 from my ST which I thought was naff lol.

Well I drove (in the B6) from Liverpool to London and back and did some pottering around town and the DIS is still showing 120 miles left. The B6 1,9Tdi is a legendary engine. I am thinking of keeping it as a work car and using my B8 Black edition as Sunday best!!

Reactions: markm, and scotty76
The B8 is a bigger heavier car with full time 4WD. Probably got bigger wheels and tyres than the B6 and does your B6 have a DPF ?.
The only way to accurately calculate fuel economy is to brim the tank and record the mileage.
Check the tyre pressures, what tyres do you have on the car, cheap ditch finder tyres are not good for fuel economy.
Did you actually get 620 miles out of the B6 on £50 worth of diesel ?

I am certainly not far off the figures i quoted for the B6. It has been and still is a fantastic motor. I am loathe to part with it. The new B8 is just taking some getting used to. Particularly adjusting to the change in MPG and that S-tronic gearbox-which makes me feel slightly 'detached' from the car. Thanks for all your replies.

I'm not up to speed on the model but does your s-tronic have paddles ?

I find the car to be a much better drive in manual on the paddles and it would give you a bit more control over your mpg figures and your driving style