Audio Woes

Nuggitses

Reaction score
First off... "Hi Everyone!" I'm new to Audi ownership, having procured an A4 S-Line Avant (Quattro TDI 170) as a late Xmas present for myself (and sometimes the Wife). I have to say, as a previous 5 Series owner, I'm in love!

I did a fair bit of homework on this one before buying but one thing I did overlook, and it's not such a massive issue, is this particular one I've bought only has an Audi Concert unit, which really limits my options in terms of gadgets and whatnot. Seems the previous owner went all out-on everything except getting an MMI 2G or 3G unit.

What's really the most important thing to me is Bluetooth Audio (A2DP with AVRCP), steering wheel controlled, with a display of what's playing.

Navigation would be nice too.

I've done some research and it seems my closest options are:

a) Do a retrofit of the MMI for a 2G/3G version. I've read a fair bit about this and it's just not justifiable on basis of cost! Plus, any A2DP solution that depends on MMI doesn't integrate with steering controls/display anyway.

b) Suck it up and use 3.5mm input to my phone. Wires on display! Yuk!

c) One of these!

Has anybody fitted one of these before? Is it of a high quality? I'm thinking of using a Raspberry Pi, or maybe an old Android Tablet with a video out tucked away somewhere. I've even gone as far as considering buying a touchscreen overlay to place over the MMI display, hooked back to the Raspberry Pi.

The Xcarlink unit is video only, so I'd have to take an analogue audio output to the line-in of the Concert unit, which I'm assuming I can just "splice" into the existing cabling, as long as nothing's plugged in under the arm rest that should be fine, right?

Cheers!

Welcome to audi-sport.net. You will get info from the guys. Hope you enjoy the forum :) x

If the previous owner has put an AMI interface in the glovebox you could use a Viseoo Tune-to-Air Bluetooth Dongle.

Cheers for the suggestions. No dice I'm afraid as the car doesn't have MOST, or an AMI interface in the Glovebox. I'm using a Bluetooth to 3.5mm adapter for now, which of course also needed a ground loop noise isolator as it's powered from the 12V in the arm rest. Still tempted with the Xcarlink as soon as I can find some decent software/hardware combo to plug into it.

What year is the car as you can only retrofit MMI 2G or 3G/3G+ depending on the year. 2G didn't really last very long on the B8 and only covered 2008 models on the whole.

It's not the easiest of jobs and fairly expensive once you've added the cost of getting CP removed on the CAN Gateway, Radio and 5F unit as well.

How about the new Alpine unit?

Ultimately what has been suggested so far is a much cheaper end of the scale but depends how far you want to go. MMI 3GP is best if you want A2DP but again all ads to the cost.

It's a 2011 with a Concert unit. Sorry, I'm still pretty confused as to what constitutes 2G/3G etc.

Do you have a link to this Alpine unit please, is it a swap-out for the Concert with the same functionality? I'm guessing it requires MOST. :/

Edit: Googled it, cheers. 1.5k is most definitely not top of my spending list right now. :O

Last edited:
Ok - MMI 2G came to the end in 2008 and was replaced by MMI 3G which is what would be fitted on your car in all likely hood if it was fitted at the factory. If you retrofit you would have the option of going for the later 3G Plus system (different unit and keypad) with newer software and support for A2DP.

The link to the Alpine unit is here:
http://www.alpine-europe.com/index.php?id=1339&L=2&href=audi-a4-a55141/x701d-a4r&level_num=product

The Alpine doesn't require MOST and works on the CAN BUS instead so is more of an easier solution and a lot less to be removed in order to install.

If you go for either these don't expect much change from £1500 and that's before you touch the sound system.