Autoglym Bodywork Shampoo Review

Schuey

Reaction score
Now that the rain & wind have made an exit the cold weather has arrived & brought with it road salt & gritters. Needless to say that a trip out today & the car was covered in the dreaded grey, chalky mess that makes you cringe.

I have been on the last of my car shampoo for a while & with Christmas & the weather I had totally forgot to order anymore. Today it needed to be washed after the trip and we literally drove past a retail park so I popped in & picked up some shampoo.

I chose the relatively new Autoglym Bodywork Shampoo. Not to be confused with AG bodywork conditioner. The price was £8 for a litre, not really sure if that's good value?

Anyway, got back, set up the pressure washer and pre-rinsed the car. The grey/brown silt & muck just fell out of the wheel arches, quite satisfying really. After I had pre rinsed I then applied snow foam (VP pH neutral) and left to dwell before rinsing off.

After this stage I then mixed up 3 caps full of the Autoglym shampoo with warm water & topped up with cold water from the tap. Now this wouldn't be a review unless I commented on the smell, so in fairness it smelt really good perhaps bubble gum (ish). The bucket filled up with suds really easy, far better than I have ever achieved with AG BC which in fairness has been its downside for years.

I was really paranoid today that I needed a good sud to offer maximum lubrication in the event that there was any chance of grit or dirt hanging about. I know some people say the sud doesn't matter, well for me it does & it gives me more confidence that I am doing all I can to minimise the potential for swirls & scratches.

I used a wash mitt with almost zero pressure and in fairness it took very little to cover the required area or panel. Suds went on fine & were rinsed off with ease. The area left seemed clean & after the wash I had approx 1/4 bucket left which I decanted into a 3rd bucket to wash the wheels, which it did to good effect. That included a month or more of brake dust, road grime and today's road salt.

I have recently changed wash buckets so the reason I was surprised that I had not used more of the wash water was that my previous wash buckets were 20 litres.

Here are a few photos:

Once the car was washed & rinsed I just ran an open ended hose over it to avoid any potential damage to the paint by drying. It's due to rain/sleet/snow* (delete as applicable) tonight so with the worst of the dirt & salt off I'm happy with it.

To wrap up the review of the Autoglym Bodywork Shampoo:

pH neutral - yes
Low volume needed - yes
Good smell - yep
Strong suds - yes
Good cleaning ability - yes
Value for money - yes (didn't have to pay P&P etc...)

I'd say give it a go, it is way better than the bodywork conditioner and perhaps long overdue by Autoglym.

Finally, noticed today that my winter protection (RG55) is now struggling so will need sorting very soon.

Reactions: scotty76, Bristle Hound, moorzy and 1 other person
Good review, i am due a new shampoo soon, good to here about the new ag shampoo. Ps, i also got those uf buckets this week.

@Schuey - Great review :thumbs up:

Not nornally a fan of AG products but for £8 a litre I'll give this one a go

Got a thing about car shampoo's ... :whistle2::D