Front arm rest with phone cradle
Rear drinks holder in arm rest
Cruise control
Full DIS
Auto dimming rear view mirror
Folding rear seats
Front heated seats
MFSW

Has full service history and recent cam belt change.

I've managed to pick the car up for a bargain but it has some issues.

The car revs hunt, the revs rise from 900 upto 1300rpm then back again.

The parking sensors don't work, you just get a long beep and the parking sensor button just flashes.

The car won't get upto 90.

The boot doesn't have a light which I find very odd, this common?

Any help and ideas? I have VCDS which I'll be plugging in tomorrow and hopefully it'll shed some light but any ideas in the above?

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    664.4 KB · Views: 478
  • image.png
    image.png
    596.6 KB · Views: 436
  • image.png
    image.png
    603.4 KB · Views: 436
  • image.png
    image.png
    500.9 KB · Views: 461
Also has a double din setup with the built in front loading 6cd changer HU.

Nice car that mate, Asif it has cup holders in the rear arm rest! Iv seen one on eBay but didn't know it would fit! Also wish I had those headlights :-(
Welcome to the club anyway

Reactions: Dani_B19
Cheers mate. I know couldn't believe it, will come in handy when the baby gets here.

The headlights are amazing, can't believe how good the light output is.

Also the spare key didn't work, changed the battery and now the light on the cob flashes but it isn't communicating with the key , I'm guessing it needs recoding, any idea how to do this?

Not sure mate Iv only got one key that's gona cost me a fortune to get a new one! I had a seat Ibiza years ago and I coded it In with a sequence I got off YouTube, knowing Audi it will probably be a dealer job

Also the spare key didn't work, changed the battery and now the light on the cob flashes but it isn't communicating with the key , I'm guessing it needs recoding, any idea how to do this?
Try turning the ignition on or even starting the car with the key, whilst its on press the unlock and lock buttons a few time. Sometimes they pick up the coding again that way.

Reactions: Rodgeri and Dani_B19
Forgot to introduce myself.

My names Daniel, I've been a active member in the s3 8l section for the last 7/8 years. I spent a small fortune on the s3 but I ended up going too far, the car was lowered on coilovers and every bush was either polybushed or metal, had a stupidly loud exhaust along with fmic blah blah.

Anyway with a child in the way it wasn't practical anymore and I'd had enough of it and had let it go over the last few years, so next week it's off to a vag breakers.

So that brings me into Alfie the a4, plans at the minute are giving it a ****** good clean as it's far from my standards, pics will follow, and also fix the few issues that are currently plaguing the car.

The car won't be staying standard but it won't be going the same route as the s3. I've already got a few little mods to fit which I'll post up when the snow clears.

Reactions: James.c
So the car does have a boot light it's just not working, tried a new bulb even though the old one looked fine and still no join. Any thoughts?

Also I've tried several online guides to resync the spare key and nothing, any ideas here too?

Had the car on VCDS earlier and it's got the following codes, looked in Ross tech's website and it doesn't show them. Any ideas?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 373
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 390
So the car does have a boot light it's just not working, tried a new bulb even though the old one looked fine and still no join. Any thoughts?

Also I've tried several online guides to resync the spare key and nothing, any ideas here too?
im sure someone else might have a better idea but from what ive read can be broke wire and can be tricky to remove the trim to get to them.

To check your parking sensors to see if they are working is turn your ignition on and put the car in reverse, and then get out and touch each parking sensor, and if they are working you will feel them pulsating and the slightest little clicking noise, just hope it's one of the sensors on the outside, cos you can just have enough room to put your hand up there to replace it

It says rear right mate. So I can replace the outer rears without removing the bumper?

Yeah mate, it's tight thou, get ready to do some swearing, I had to make sure the kids were inside ha

How do you get to them? Does anything need removing? Also is the parking sensor I posted up the correct one for the rear outers?

I recently had to change one of the middle sensors on by B6. I couldn't get to it without removing the rear bumper. PITA job.

Hi mate if you put your arm inside the bumper you will feel them, there are to clips at either side of the sensor if you just undo them and push the sensor into the bumper then you can disconnect the plug and pull it out, yeah and that sensor you posted looks right mate, hope this helps

I found that the bumper bar was in the way on my Avant. No space to get your arm up to the sensor, and I have small forearms!

Might be different on the B7 though.

Thanks ste your a legend, I'll give it ago.

Right.

I've order a new genuine sender off eBay via a private seller, £15 so worth a pop, has original box etc and states it genuine so hopefully that will sort the parking sensor issue.

Just order a genuine CTS and o-ring and clip from Mike in the parts section here, £33 all in so hopefully that will sort out the temp issue, if not then it'll be a new stat. Also bought 1.5l of g13 and going to get a new coolant bottle and change that at the same time.

Well few bits have turned up and a few are at the post office, currently at the post office are:

CTS with o-ring and c-clip
Genuine rear parking sensor
California car scents

Here with as you can see by the pics, the screw extraction sets are for the snapped and seized number plate bolts and the rounded number plate light screws. Also have a 1.5l tub of g13 in the shed ready for the weekend. Torch is just because I nipped into aldi with the Mrs earlier and couldn't help myself haha, for £5 it's banging.

Pic of the kitchen is just from the first setting on the torch, think it should do nicely for the car haha.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    913.2 KB · Views: 362
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    704.4 KB · Views: 367
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    789.6 KB · Views: 354
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    760.6 KB · Views: 386
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    653 KB · Views: 358
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    798 KB · Views: 377
Also the car over revving has got worse, was hitting 2000rpm while sat in traffic earlier.

Well fitted the new genuine parking sensor and guess what, another 2 arnt working, never showed any fault codes up, it's the 2 inner rear ones, ****** typical, vcds never showed anything, changed the outer rear one and cleared that code then hey presto its showed another code, it's only showing one as faulty but I've done the clicking test and both arnt clicking. Great.

Also changed the CTS and bled the system which was a pain in the ****, hopefully that will have fixed the temp issue but I've got a feeling the stats gone.

Update.

Ordered 2 eBay parking sensors for the rear, come with 24 month warranty, ordered Sunday and turned up today.
Managed to fit both without removing the bumper, took 5 minutes and hey presto I now have working parking sensors at last .

The not so good news, the car still won't get upto temp so new stat time, the car does drive better though after the new CTS.

Still need to sort the over revving and lack of power but Mike the parts guys off until early Feb so all the above will have to wait until he's back.

Also I still can't get the boot light to work or for the boot to show as been open on the DIS.

Does this point to a faulty micro switch? If so where is this located? Took the boot lid off earlier and all I see is this:

Well I'm fed up of the standard SE knob, little low down and I just don't like the feel of it, so I've ordered this:

Looks decent and also nice and Suttle.

Reactions: James.c
Also any thoughts on the issues with the boot light? Still none the wiser.

Posted elsewhere but want to keep this thread updated.

Right little update.

The boot light does actually work, popped the boot earlier via the keyfob and it was partially opened, noticed light coming from the boot, popped my head in and bingo the light works, slowly opened the boot and about 1/4 way up that's when the light goes out along with the rear lights.

So I'm guessing it's either a lose connection or a broken wire!
Thoughts?

I had the same issue with the boot light when I had my b7. It was a split wire. The wiring runs inside a plastic cover by the hinge on the left side.

I opened up the rubber cover which the wires run in, cut the broken wire and soldered in a new piece. It fixed the issue.

In regards to hunting revs have you checked for boost leaks and DV issues? I've heard the tfsi DV's are a bit crap unless its a revised item? Check the rubbers around the valve and see if its perished

Is the wiring cover sealed or does it have a split in it?

I think its sealed. Iirc i opened it up with a stanley knife.

So I changed the pcv valve the other day, didn't order the gasket though which I now regret, didn't look in the best condition, so ones in its way to change over.

Car seems to run a lot better and the erratic revving has gone, the car still idles highly though sometimes, around 1100rpm, not always though.

Also changed the dv today, as you can see from the pics, to say it was shot is a under statement, the diaphragm was virtually detached. The car is now transformed, comes in boost nicely and no longer feels like a n/a engine.

I've also ordered a new TB gasket so I can clean the TB and see if this helps with some of the issues, at the same time I'm going to change the evap pipe work that goes to the n80 valve and the valve itself.

Tomorrow I'm going to change the pollen filter, rear brake discs and pads and also fit the new gear knob.

Got to say as well the DV is a bitch to do on your back in a drive way, next time I'll do it on a ramp, didn't help I couldn't get the 2 rear under tray screws out as they had corroded, also changed all accessible under tray fittings to the silver ones above, they take T20 screw like the wheel archers.

Which one? I went for the g revision mate.

Argh I see, the D revision, you can use that but r-tech recommended the G version as the D can still leak boost.

So busy day again.

First off I started with the gearknob, found out 2 things with the knob I bought, one it isn't real leather, neither the knob or gaitor, peed me off a little but thought hey ho, got the old knob off fine and installed the new knob, went to click the surround into place to which it would not go in, here we go, the new knobs base isn't the correct surround even though it's stated as a direct replacement, so out come the staples in the old and new knob and bases swapped round. Result, the new knob looks so much better and has improved the feeling of the shifts due to its better design.