Winter tyres

joinerman

Reaction score
I have my set of winter tyres on at the moment on my A4 quattro, now i have to attend a funeral which will involve a 450 mile round trip mostly motorway, opinions please on whether to go with these on or put summers back on.

Leave the winter tyres on. They will be fine, it's hardly 30 degree summer heat yet.

leave them on, motorway journey won't make a difference

Winter tyres do tend to be noisier than summer tyres, due to the design of the tread pattern though.
Saying that the Nokians I run are no noisier than my summer tyres.
I have done around 400 miles in my car on the motorway in the last 3 weeks bouncing back and forward to Manchester airport and down to Gloucester. No issues.

I'd say for winter tyre users, consider this, the tyre compound will harden up after 5 or 6 years, so if your expected usage over that period is a lot less than what these tyres will give in miles over their life time in wearing down to 4mm, then use them for a bit longer each season. I changed my wife's old Polo after using the winter tyres for 24K over 5 years, and the tread depths were all 6mm (wheels rotated), which surprised me a bit (Michelin Alpins)