Comfortable suspension options?

novril

Reaction score
Hi chaps,

I have had my tfsi S-line avant for a few years now. Lovely car and all, it's mainly the wifes to lug about in. She complained the suspension was too harsh on the standard S-line springs, which were very crashy. I upgraded them to some H&R progressive springs, which improved the ride a lot but it is way too low and the back has always sat a lot lower, even with B5 spring cups on the front. Now the subframe bottoms out a lot on speed bumps and some pot holes. I've had enough now and I'm tempted to sell the car and get a family wagon which can be beat about a bit. My other option is to lift the ride height a bit with some soft suspension.

I've looked around and I can only find -40mm springs minimum. I'm hoping Eibach or someone does a standard height progressive spring set I can use to lift the car and soften out some of the bumps a bit more.

Has anyone got any suggestions? Or do I need to sell it on and buy an SE or something?

Cheers, Mark.

I've always read that the eibach pro kit which is a 30mm drop is more comfortable than the H&R, I own an A3 so if it's the same thing then I'd say try the eibach pro kit with Bilstein B4 shocks, that's the setup people usually go for which doesn't compromise ride quality.

But obviously because your car is an S line you'll only see a drop of approx 10mm.

+1

16586-bilstein-b4-+-pro-kit_700x700.jpg

Reactions: Mujnu
I too am on H&R springs that replaced my Sport spec springs that came on my very early S-Line (I believe S-Line springs were an option at the time).

Like you I'm finding it a little too low for comfort. Well, comfort is actually pretty good but I scrape too many things such as driveway humps and speed bumps.

ST sell a -30mm spring kit and AP (sister company to ST and KW) offer a -35mm kit. Of course, it's unknown what these are compared against.

I've got the ST springs to go on when the weather improves a little so I'm hoping it'll raise the car slightly. They're linear-wound springs so ride comfort compared to the progressive H&R may suffer. Having said that I've never had an issue with linear springs or KW/ST parts on previous cars. If this thread is still active at the time I'll update with my findings.

Bilstein B4 shocks are mono-tube. Without going into technicalities (unless you want me to?) mono-tube shocks have a tendency to ride a little firmer. Twin-tube shocks are more supple (less gas pressure to fight against during piston stroke) but less predictable/controlled in heavy use (heavy track use really, on the road they're fine).

Although probably way above budget are decent coilovers an option? My brother runs KW V1 on his A3 and the comfort levels are excellent compared to my A4 on H&R springs with Quattro GmbH DTM shocks.

A cheaper alternative are ST coilovers which share the same damping as KW V1 but with galvanised bodies instead of stainless steel.

Height adjustable and very good ride comfort. Only downside is price.

New old stock genuine shocks are readily available on eBay. OEM/genuine shocks are all twin tube. You just have to be careful with part numbers as they're available in damping ranges - your vehicle weight is in code format on your option sticker and shocks are rated against those codes. Very complicated.

As for after market options, ST Sport shocks are very good in my opinion. I was very impressed with them on my previous car. Twin-tube, well damped but not harsh and also painted black, unlike some aftermarket shocks.

I replaced the entire suspension wishbone arm package and ne. Genuine shocks while I was there. So ideally the most of do is a spring kit. So you think a 30mm kit would be that much different from the h&r that was recommended beforehand?

Ideally I'd like a stock ride height with progressive springs to help with the crashiness. I think coilovers would be excessive and even on max ride height would be too low?

I'll try and find some pics of eibach as my set up is really quite low for what it is thanks again.

Hard to say. What engine and drivetrain are you?

If we could get some decent weather I'd fit my ST springs and let you know what height they settle at and their comfort level.

It might be worth looking at OEM SE springs if you want taller and better/softer ride than the original S-Line springs.

Coilovers can be raised pretty high - I'm not sure on our platform but there's usually plenty of adjustment. However, as you're looking for just springs, I wouldn't say any more about them.

If your only issue is the car is a little low then the suspension raisers I linked too are good. Another 10 or 15mm will get you a more sensible ride height. You could also look at changing the spring top seats at the rear or pack them out a little.

http://www.partsbase.org/audi/audi-...100-suspension-anti-roll-bar-shock-absorbers/

I actually took 10mm out of the rear top spring seats on my car to lower it a little as the Eibach springs normally give a car a tail high rake when unloaded. Which is no bad thing but some people like the car level.

It may be that the you do need to put on SE springs, but that would leave a large gap between the arch and wheel. Could it be that the s line shocks are too firm? The Bilstein B4 shocks are the gas equivalent to to standard OEM shocks so should ride more comfortable to what you currently have.

Or just put some OEM sport springs on, not as stiff as s line but not as wallowy as the SE springs.