Glow Plug Flashing, DPF light on and ECM light on.....!

Hulmie

Reaction score
Just after a bit of advice on what to do here. My 2.0 TDI 170 S-line SE flashed up on friday afternoon with the above issue.
Would it be best to do here, i'm thinking of getting the DPF removal and a remap???
I'm thinking of going to Stadt Technik on Trafford Park, has anyone had there DPF removed and remapped from here, would this sort out my issue??

You need to get the fault codes read to understand what the issue is. It could well be linked to your DPF either a pressure sensor or EGT sensor issue. But it's possible something else is causing the issue.
If you are in Manchester and want the DPF removing and the car mapping I would recommend Rick at Unicorn Motor Developments in Stockport.
He did the DPF on my car and mapped it. he has done several other forum members cars.
https://www.facebook.com/UnicornMotorDevelopments/

Great stuff i'll look into getting the Fault codes read then.
Cheers

You need to get the fault codes read to understand what the issue is. It could well be linked to your DPF either a pressure sensor or EGT sensor issue. But it's possible something else is causing the issue.
If you are in Manchester and want the DPF removing and the car mapping I would recommend Rick at Unicorn Motor Developments in Stockport.
He did the DPF on my car and mapped it. he has done several other forum members cars.
https://www.facebook.com/UnicornMotorDevelopments/
+1

Update as of last night..... DPF Sensor now replaced, so the garage tried to Regen the system to which nothing had changed still on low power but now apparently the Turbo flagged up with low pressure, so yesterday was a case of investigating why? I'm not fully into what things do under the bonnet as it's all black magic to me but last night they replaced a "N75 valve" to see if this is the issue regarding the lower power/pressure.
The chap at the garage is going to see if he can now Regen the system.

If not then this could be the Turbo is what the chap said. Does this sound correct to some of you more experienced engine chaps amoungst you??
I've read on some threads on here that maybe the lack of vacum in the turbo system could point to a collapsed pipe maybe??

As i said earlier i'm a little lost with it all.

Cheers for the earlier replies.

Without knowing what fault codes have been seen and exactly what has been changed it's difficult to diagnose these kind of things.
A common scenario is that a sensor fails on the DPF side wither an EGT sensor or more usually the DPF pressure sensor.
As the ECU is unable to complete a regen correctly the DPF blocks up with carbon and the amount of back pressure increases significantly.
At this stage you get a light on and limp mode.
To protect the car from damage a DPF won't regenerate if it's over about 45% full. The engine / turbo will get very hot as will the DPF itself .
There is a small window where the car itself won't initiate a regen but it can be forced to do it using VCDS .
If the DPF is really blocked up this severely restricts exhaust flow, As it is exhaust flow that drives the turbine in the turbo to produce boost a blocked DPF can trigger low boost fault codes.
http://www.angeltuning.co.uk/dpf-removal-dpf-delete-oxfordshire/
Some times the turbo does get damaged as well because of the very excessive temperatures that it sees when the DPF gets blocked.
If the DPF is blocked excessively and can't be regenerated then it will need to be replaced or I would get the car mapped and the DPF deleted.
One thing that mechanics do sometimes to prove the DPF is loosen the bolts where the DPF or exhaust mounts onto the turbo. The exhaust then blows out of the gap and if the car runs OK the DPF is blocked.

I feel a little lost as i can't give you chaps any codes with regards to the faults.....Sorry....
I've just got off the phone from the garage and the lad said they've put some agent in it to break down the carbon within the DPF and to leave it overnight to breakdown and then hopefully they can Regen.
Which apparently they tried before but it wasn't long enough to breakdown the carbon and the agent came straight out.
Does this sound like a reasonable solution to the problem?????

There are various chemical solutions that people use to try and clean a DPF out. The problem is when they get really blocked the solution is unable to penetrate any great amount and it tends to be a stop gap measure.