8P owner looking to upgrade to 8V

T

T8DPR

Hi... not after brand new but looking for "average mileage" so I can basically look anywhere from the start, 2012.. wanting a cheap to run petrol engine, can anyone tell me which I should definitely stay away from, or which have known problems. or which ones have proven flawless?

Certain spec doesn't really matter, just MUST be petrol, 3 door, ( and have SD card slots :D ) My budget is around £12,000, have seen a good few for sale even as low as £9,000 but obviously mileage and accident history is questionable on those

Also must be able to fit in my pokey garage (my 8p does, just!) so most likely saloon would be too long (and too dear)

The 1.4 COD engine seems to be very well regarded. 2 x SD slots are I believe standard on the UK spec 8V, bear in mind though if you have the SD navigation that takes up one.

is the 1.4 a turbo engine? Nav would be a bonus but not necessary and I'd only require one slot for music

Are they cambelt or chain?

As driver_tim says if you are after a cheap to run petrol engine I would go for the 1.4 The 1.2 in my opinion is a little underpowered and you will end up revving the hell out of it and thus losing any mpg gains against the 1.4..As long as the service history is 100% I wouldn't worry about the mileage (within reason..lol).If budget allows don't dismiss the 1.8 Tfsi it is a great engine..Good luck and let us all know the outcome...:friends:

Last edited:
is the 1.4 a turbo engine? Nav would be a bonus but not necessary and I'd only require one slot for music

Are they cambelt or chain?
Yes the 1.4 is turbo'd as for the engine I think they all are timing chained now some one more knowledgeable might correct me on that one..:blink:

Thanks very much for your help :)

one question I forgot to ask in my original post, how are these engines (1.4 and 1.8) for oil consumption?

Also must be able to fit in my pokey garage (my 8p does, just!)

The 8v chassis version is about 25mm/1 inch longer than the 8p with the width being pretty much identical.

and have SD card slots :D

SD slots are in the glovebox and standard across the range.

Something to note if luggage space is a concern is that despite the extra length the 8v boot is an inch shorter.

Thanks very much for your help :)

one question I forgot to ask in my original post, how are these engines (1.4 and 1.8) for oil consumption?
I'm not sure to be honest.The only issue I had with oil is the 'long service schedule' I think it was the reason the engine on my 2.0tfsi went 'pop'
Had it replaced by Audi Uk 'Goodwill Gesture ' 90% contribution..
Whichever car you go for I would change the service schedule to 'Fixed' (every 12 months...) They don't like old oil in the engines it tends to build up sludge and block the oil intake pipes..

Agree with the posts above.

None of the engines within that bracket have proven to be particularly problematic but a couple of pointers:

The 1.2 petrol (and 1.6 diesel) have less sophisticated torsion rear suspension.
The 1.4 (122 PS and not Cylinder on Demand) had a vibrating turbo actuator rod which was fixed with a clip. There was a campaign to retrofit so it should have been done on the vast majority of cars by now.
The 1.4 Cylinder on Demand was 140 PS for the first few years but was uprated to 150 PS (I think for Model Year 15).
All the petrols are turbocharged.

I don't have comparative dimensions for 8P to 8V to cover your garage question, but do consider folding mirrors on the options list.

As with Audi there are a myriad of options and people do custom builds but in general:
SE spec comes with Air-con not climate control.
SE spec doesn't have Drive select to adjust throttle response / steering weight (& gear change if S-Tronic).

Good luck with your search.

John.

Last edited:
I have the 1.8 and have never had to top up the oil between services. That said, mine is on the fixed interval service schedule not the long life.

Here some size comparisons between the 8P and the 8V that I noted when I changed......

Overall length +18mm
Width of body +20mm
Width over mirrors -29mm (small mirrors on the 8V)
height +2mm
length of luggage area -40mm

If you need anything else just let me know as I still have the brochures for both.

Reactions: Pulp84, A3_Rider and Daveotto
boot space is no issue and it appears neither is garage space, I have carpet on the wall anyway :D, I tend to service every 12 months anyway

So I'm guessing if i'm looking for the 1.4 I need to get the 140ps for it to be the CoD engine? The newer 150ps will most definitely be out of my price range

media
Seen this on the trader.Thought it might be of interest??

yep have seen that one, its the 122 though, so if I get to test drive it I'll have a listen out for the turbo actuator rattle

I'm not 100% settled on a colour yet either :)

Reactions: pburv
I don't personally think the 8V looks right with halogen headlights either, although that is just my personal opinion and the OP (and others) may have different priorities for their cash!

Just for reference the saloon length is 4456mm. It is a bit longer that the hatchbacks, but oh so lovely to look at :blahblah1:

Reactions: Pulp84 and pburv
I seriously love the saloon but it is beyond my justified price range at the moment

One thing I didn't ask, do the "gutters" cope well with settled rain water running off the roof? The 8p is notorious for letting it flow in through the open windows!!

I seriously love the saloon but it is beyond my justified price range at the moment

One thing I didn't ask, do the "gutters" cope well with settled rain water running off the roof? The 8p is notorious for letting it flow in through the open windows!!
Good point! That really annoyed me on my old car..Can't say I have noticed it on my current car??
It still does however drip rain water in the boot when you open it..:sulkiness: