what power upgrade next...?

P

Pete69zx

Having just got my '98 A3 1.8T Sport only 1 week ago, i can feel the 'bug' starting to set in already!

Ok, so i believe it to have had a 'chip', Forge DV & CAT back Miltek stainless exhaust.

My question is... what is the next logical upgrade?

Im guessing the engine & components will be fairly stressed if not stressed to their max already regarding the current state of play.

Im thinking FMIC, but i wouldnt expect to get any BHP/Nm increase from it. I just think it would be wise to cool temperatures as much as possible before going for a further power hike, what you lot think?

Thoughts & suggestions please.

Cheers, Pete.

these engines are fine with stock internals to 350hp you have at the most 200hp plenty more to play with..

if i were you i wouldn't do the intercooler yet it will probably creat more lag at this stage of tune.. better to do chassis tune first and have fun then save big bucks for a big turbo, thats what i would do in hind site lol

what chassis tune items would you suggest ?

Cheers, Pete.

shocks and springs are a good start, koni, h&r, fk.. then anti roll bars.. will transform the car and make it fun to drive.. power upgrades should come after cos its a slippery slope im finding one mod is never enough..

for the future next power upgrade an s3 k04 turbo and injectors and remap 230hp are the intermediate step to big power turbos circa 350hp.. before doing any of those calculate costs it is always significantly more than it at first appears

A good FMIC shouldn't create too much lag. I'm hitting 60°C inlet air temps in this whether (also a '98 1.8T Sport with REVO).

Lower inlet air temps will allow you to keep the power you have going for longer through the revs. Not cheap mind you - unless you bodge a Laguna FMIC.