Is this normal s-line height? :/

Cambaines

Reaction score
Ever since I've had my car I thought the back is on stilts!

I've seen other s-lines that look lower than mine, do you think the backs been replaced with standard springs?

4f18b48ca151d5e2ee8a37b086bb7b5b.jpg

397091653b2a46dff4f84328c0f4140c.jpg

No I've had the car 7 months now, I've always thought that isn't stupidly high, I had coilovers on my mind because the drop wouldn't be enough on springs but if there standard springs then I may consider H&Rs again :/

If you're parked on level ground with no load in the car then the spacing should be even on all wheels, I think there are little white marks on the springs that can help you identify them but I can remember which ones are what.

I shall have to have an investigate, the height is 100% not level between front and back!

Definitely high at the back. That's assuming you have the standard 225/18/40 tyres/wheels. Anything different can give the illusion of being too high.

Nope wheels are 18" 8.5j with 225/18/40s on them, coilovers is my only option really as I cant have 50mm springs on the Quattro, makes the car look ****!

The car comes up as s-line so I imagine someone has had coil springs replaced in the past and has incorrectly fitted SE ones.

Since S-line springs are rubbish, get Damian @DPM to send you a set of eibach pro-kit lowering springs.

I had that problem with our Ibiza. It's a FR sport model and the parts shop sent non-sport dampers and my mechanic fitted them. There was a mystery knock only cured by fitting the sport model dampers which were a few mm shorter than the non-sport ones.

Reactions: DPM
My S line rear also sit SUPER HIGH, I thought it was common and just left it. Wouldn't the handbrake pull the rear up a bit anyway?

That's ridiculously high - defiantly standard springs and dampers.
My 07 s line sits lower than that on a huge hill with the handbrake up. Also on standard s line setup.

Well mines is the same as cambaines and mines is standard S line springs and shocks. So I don't get how people have different heights haha....

Cheers @syam it's defo an sline yes haha, it's 10 years old now so it wouldn't surprise me if they have been changed to standard ones, I've spoke to Damian and the lowest it will drop is 15/20mm from sline standard because it's Quattro :/ I think I'm going have to go ahead and get coilovers after the remap this year!

It seems like the sport back always sits lower than the 3 door, very strange! Well is yours are the same techen then it may be normal or were both in the se suspension club!

Cheers @syam it's defo an sline yes haha, it's 10 years old now so it wouldn't surprise me if they have been changed to standard ones, I've spoke to Damian and the lowest it will drop is 15/20mm from sline standard because it's Quattro :/ I think I'm going have to go ahead and get coilovers after the remap this year!

It seems like the sport back always sits lower than the 3 door, very strange! Well is yours are the same techen then it may be normal or were both in the se suspension club!

I find my front is pretty low and decent it's just the rear but I got new rear callipers, discs and pads so who knows...

Brakes wouldn't make any difference to your height, yeah the front isn't too bad either, I'm just going to have to buy some AP coilovers i think :/

Brakes wouldn't make any difference to your height, yeah the front isn't too bad either, I'm just going to have to buy some AP coilovers i think :/

I'll just deal with it myself, Not paying out a kidney for coilovers when I could be saving up for a 8V S3 :p

I find my front is pretty low and decent it's just the rear but I got new rear callipers, discs and pads so who knows...
That wouldn't affect anything, if your as high as his it's defiantly not on s line.

By the way your saying it would only drop 25mm further than s line and they are pretty low as is. Your running really high so find some pics of that setup before throwing money at coilovers.

Hmm good point there Chris, it would drop the car 35mm from SE springs, which is probably what I've got on mine! Even still 35mm of that head sized gap isn't much! Just wish I could get 50mm H&Rs for mine! I do a lot of miles in the thing so I need it drivable still!

I'll just deal with it myself, Not paying out a kidney for coilovers when I could be saving up for a 8V S3 :p

Haha! Another valid point! I've got this thing for another year and a half at least I would say so I've still got a lot of playing to do

Hmm good point there Chris, it would drop the car 35mm from SE springs, which is probably what I've got on mine! Even still 35mm of that head sized gap isn't much! Just wish I could get 50mm H&Rs for mine! I do a lot of miles in the thing so I need it drivable still!
31576b4249e1fb4d7786e1d72c488747.jpg

Not a great picture but too cold to go out, that's my car running standard s line suspension but you can see it's a lot lower than that lol

It defiantly is, I'd take your wheels off and have a look what's under there.
I think s line suspension sits a decent height and you'd feel a lot happier with that and them springs your looking at drop it a tiny bit more.

For the cost of the springs it would be worth it I guess, I shall take the wheel off at weekend and try to see a part code of some sort! Try and get me a decent side shot of your in the light of you can mate, would be a good start for me haha!

Yeah that also looks a little high, but maybe a little lower than mine, I will measure my arch gap and see what it is, that would be a a decider

I'll grab you one tomorrow morning and post it.

Techen, even that is a hell of a lot lower and all 8ps have really bad reverse rake lower front higher back but his is high all around.

Thanks mate would be a big help, can't believe I don't have a decent side on picture of mine!

I'll grab you one tomorrow morning and post it.

Techen, even that is a hell of a lot lower and all 8ps have really bad reverse rake lower front higher back but his is high all around.

You sure? I reckon its just about the same as his? Maybe am seeing things :p

I'm pretty sure - maybe the wheels and car color makes his seem higher but ill measure the arch gap on mine front and back tomorrow as well and a picture and he can decide for what he wants to do, but for a year and a half I would go for a cheaper pair of coilovers if the springs aren't low enough

Cheers Chris the picture and measurements would be great! Maybe measure from your rim to the Arch? My tires are stretched so it may be a better way! Cheers again Man, we can compare side shots tomorrow

Reactions: Chrisk1993
8.5" stretch rims on 225 tyres will not help with the look

edd1e6bb7a8a1f0c9ab0b80f9ad3df3c.jpg

"Normal" s-Line height with 15mm spacers on rear

if its on the switch over year they may have put the older springs in alot of people make this mistake it happened to me on both my tfsi's 2006 but facelift. i had to get them to change it to the newer springs. as it looked like it was twerking.

To be honest, 15/20mm lower from S-line height takes it pretty low. Low enough that you have to worry about speed bumps with 4 passengers, would you really wanna go lower?

See spizels a3 looks like it's sitting nice! And that's standard sline! I'm really torn what to do here! I think I may wait to get some springs, I do want it drivable still, and if I don't like them I can then go for coilovers, I'm not lowering until after a remap because of the ramp issue!

Sayam your right I don't want it a ball ache to drive because I do have people in my car frequently and I live in a house surrounded by speed bumps so it would be an issue, my main worry is buying springs and fitting them and not loving the height and regretting not getting coilies!

Looks like your going on rough terrain rallying, some huge flappy mud flaps should finish the look.
On a serious note, it looks like someone has gone to lower the car and ordered the wrong springs thinking that 20mm lowering springs will lower the car from where they were and not from a standard hight.