Oil burn rate on an S4

Ok.....time for an update!! Although its probably not the most useful of updates. In a nutshell - NO FAULT FOUND!

So, I completed the 600 mile consumption test that Audi requested I do and took it back in for them to do the second part of the test. I was expecting the above response as obviously I had been monitoring the oil level and weirdly and somewhat annoyingly, it had dropped at all, and still hasn't in fact. So....I'm at a bit of a loss with what was going on. After discussing with the same vague and suspicious Audi service rep, I 'think' all that was done was a top up of oil, not even a full oil change. I say I 'think' as the guy didn't really seem to confident on what work was done on it or even what oil was used - he had to go off and ask a few people what oil was put in it! I have read that a few people have said that a oil change has appeared to of fixed or at least helped with similar issues. Could it of just been the type of oil that was used before??? Doesn't seem to make sense that that could be the case but the long and shot of it is, it did go from max to min in three weeks and now its not dropped at all. And as I said in my OP, I wasn't overly concerned as it was performing fine, no obvious signs of burning oil or smoking etc so bit confused but will just have to see how it goes........

......on the plus side though, now I've had some sort of all clear, hardware has been ordered for the full stage 2 APR upgrade!!! :)

Reactions: Chop. and xpoweruk
I'd suggest your next purchase is a dip stick, that way you can check it daily or weekly and get good solid results.

Edit:- personally I'd think that the logic behind fitting an MMI acessable (sp) engine oil level gauge was okay/good, in reality it has turned out, well for me anyway, not as reliable as I expect. I do know there are time limitations as to when you can expect to get good and true results from it - but for me, "no thanks" it is my engine's future we are playing with.

Could well be similar to mine the @8BallAddict.
The more you've driven it & opened the taps a little the better it has got.Maybe the PCV needs this to operate properly

Yeah, I think I will buy a dipstick and keep an eye on it that way. Question is though, where do you 'dip the stick' to get the measurement?

As for the MMI meter, I've heard that they are really not that reliable and that's from various people and sources. Sure I read somewhere that all new Audi's are going back to manual dipsticks anyway?

@xpoweruk, was it you that had the same thing? Changed the oil it was much better? I've read so many posts I've lost track of who said what! Haha.

I am still considering changing the PCV valve anyway, seems to make sense while I'm getting the upgrade stuff done. If it doesn't drop in the next 1k miles or before the APR stuff happens then I might not and just see how it goes.

The dip stick you buy replaces the small closure plug at the top of the dip stick guide. Just remove the dip stick, wipe clean refit and remove to check the oil level, do all this maybe more than 30minutes after stopping the engine.

The dip stick you buy replaces the small closure plug at the top of the dip stick guide. Just remove the dip stick, wipe clean refit and remove to check the oil level, do all this maybe more than 30minutes after stopping the engine.
Ah cool, wasn't aware there was a plug for it. Will get that sorted then. Cheers!

deff go for the dip stick, the mmi is a handy quick check but i'm old school so like to see that theres actually oil there not just a picture

Reactions: 8BallAddict
Anyone know of a UK seller for the dipsticks? I can't seem to find one anywhere.

Stoke Audi have them iirc
06E115611H
is the part number I belive

Reactions: rizzini7 and 8BallAddict
Stoke Audi have them iirc
06E115611H
is the part number I belive

Yup, I got my local Audi dealer's parts dept to order me one in, just don't say "it is for an S4" !
Better buying this sort of thing locally as it would be a pain to package up and post.

Cheers guys, I'll check with my local Audi dealer when I go pickup me 'supercharged' badges on Tuesday!

Reactions: xpoweruk and Chop.
I bought mine through the ASN parts request system. The service was great.

I bought one yesterday from Stoke parts and it was delivered today. Fab service, as always.
You guys with the sticks already, quick question....do you fit them and leave them in situ, or just dip, check and then replace the plastic bung back in the pipe?

Reactions: xpoweruk and 8BallAddict
I bought one yesterday from Stoke parts and it was delivered today. Fab service, as always.
You guys with the sticks already, quick question....do you fit them and leave them in situ, or just dip, check and then replace the plastic bung back in the pipe?
I'd be interested in the answer to that one, picked mine up today!

I removed the bung & left the proper dipstick in

Reactions: MattS5
What's the correct procedure for using the mmi check??
My low level come on today, couldn't see much on dipstick. I've put about 500ml in. (Quantum 5w30) I'll probably start servicing every 6k or so on the same oil.
Mmi now says half and dipstick looks like max? Does it take a litre when the lights on? I hate filling up the oil as I'm always nervous I'll over fill.

Thanks

MMI procedure is
With a warm engine leave for at least 2 mins a level ground with engine off before checking.
Popping the bonnet helps kick start the mmi to read the level again I find

Reactions: rizzini7
Do you know if min to max is a litre?
I'm at work next couple of days so will get a run out and then check via dipstick again. Off work Saturday so will get my mate to have a look for me.

I know I'm useless

It is a litre empty to full on mmi

Reactions: rizzini7
I didn't realise the S4 used oil. Mine is still sitting on the max mark in the MMI having been serviced last June

Do NOT trust the MMI. I have found it massively incorrect in the past!
Luckily I no longer have any oil issues with mine.

Reactions: scotty76
Ok.....time for an update!! Although its probably not the most useful of updates. In a nutshell - NO FAULT FOUND!

So, I completed the 600 mile consumption test that Audi requested I do and took it back in for them to do the second part of the test. I was expecting the above response as obviously I had been monitoring the oil level and weirdly and somewhat annoyingly, it had dropped at all, and still hasn't in fact. So....I'm at a bit of a loss with what was going on. After discussing with the same vague and suspicious Audi service rep, I 'think' all that was done was a top up of oil, not even a full oil change. I say I 'think' as the guy didn't really seem to confident on what work was done on it or even what oil was used - he had to go off and ask a few people what oil was put in it! I have read that a few people have said that a oil change has appeared to of fixed or at least helped with similar issues. Could it of just been the type of oil that was used before??? Doesn't seem to make sense that that could be the case but the long and shot of it is, it did go from max to min in three weeks and now its not dropped at all. And as I said in my OP, I wasn't overly concerned as it was performing fine, no obvious signs of burning oil or smoking etc so bit confused but will just have to see how it goes........

......on the plus side though, now I've had some sort of all clear, hardware has been ordered for the full stage 2 APR upgrade!!! :)

I know I'm going a back a bit here - but this is my experience.

I have the 3.2 V6 so not quite the same engine - but when I was running Castrol I was burning oil like no tomorrow! My Audi dealership then moved over to Mobil 1 - since then oil burn has been minimal. Topped up twice since July last year (300-400ml) - done 8000 miles. The type of oil you use obviously makes a big difference - probably why the dealerships are no longer recommending Castrol!

Reactions: scotty76
Just checked on my oil usage,since switching to Millers I have now used 1.5 litres in over 6,000 miles
So a marked improvement from the Audi oil that was previously used

The S4 3.0 V6 engine is based on the older 3.2 V6 but with fewer variable timing bits and some other improvements, when I had my old (Audi engine) VW Passat 2.8 V6 4Motion, I just claimed that it was not a bad thing necessarily for an engine to use some oil - Jaguar engines do it, so used to use that comparison to keep things right!
If my S4 starts using oil I might just panic after all that has happened to these newer TFSI engines.
No one selling replacement oil filler caps yet, ie for "Mobil One" or "Shell" etc etc (joke - maybe).

I have the 3.2 V6 so not quite the same engine - but when I was running Castrol I was burning oil like no tomorrow! My Audi dealership then moved over to Mobil 1 - since then oil burn has been minimal. Topped up twice since July last year (300-400ml) - done 8000 miles. The type of oil you use obviously makes a big difference - probably why the dealerships are no longer recommending Castrol!
If the Castrol was xW30 and the Mobil 1 is 0W40 (IIRC it is 10W40) then indeed its higher viscosity can make a significant difference.

I can't talk for jetty's Audi dealer, but my Audi main dealer loaded my S4 up with 0W30 to the latest VAG spec, which at the time confused me as I could not find any 0W30 that was to the latest VAG spec, now I think that it has been said here or elsewhere that Shell do a VAG compliant 0W30. As the car is still on variable/long service settings, I change oil and filter at 12 months and very few miles, my current oil of choice is Mobil One 5W-30.
Strange old game, but my car was reg'd in mid Feb11, and is still on variable/long service settings, it got serviced in Feb13, then another service logged just prior to selling to me in July13, I replaced the oil and filter in July14, got the dealer to carry out its next service in June15, now they are pestering me to get the car in ASAP as it is overdue a service, what a lot of chancers!

I guess I'm biased. Audi recommended 0W30 for the B5 S4 and then there were some cases of premature cam wear and independent tuners recommended changing to xW40. I had Mobil 1 10W40 in my S4 for over 10 years and it was fine, using not much oil (I maybe added 0.5l once between yearly services). I'm not aware of anything in the 3.0TFSI which means it really needs xW30 oil so if there is high consumption then surely 10W40 is worth a go. It can't be used on the variable service schedule but lets face it for a premium car like the S4 oil changes should be done annually as a minimum.

Reactions: xpoweruk