buying advice

mikeymike

Reaction score
Hi Gents

Currently running a B5 S4 which is getting a bit long in the tooth so time for a new one.

V6 S4's are over budget and I don't fancy a V8 so thinking about a 3.0 tdi

Looking to spend £7-8k so likely to be 100k+ maybe even 150k B7 or 8

I'd be grateful for pointers as to what to look out for, any engine/car common weaknesses or faults?

Along similar lines, the S4 is manual and I've not driven an auto this century so out of touch modern autos.

Do either of the auto options suit the engine better than the manual box? Pros/cons?

All comments welcome

Cheers

Cheers Razza, manual is my natural inclination but I was half thinking that maybe one of the auto options might suit the characteristics of the Tdi engine better. Don't the autos have an extra gear or two?

Any thoughts on engine/problems generally?

Last edited:
I came from a stage 2 B5 S4 (2001) to a B8.5 S5 and love it. I loved the S4 too but this S5 is just fantastic, especially the s-tronic gearbox. However I had a bigger budget than you. I 100% agree with @razza1 that with your budget you should avoid the early s-tronic B8s that you could afford since there's unfortunately a significant risk of gearbox issues. The manuals will be good, but the trouble is that they'll be hard to find. The B8.5 only came as s-tronic and a lot of the B8s were s-tronic so you're in competition with people who prefer to drive manuals. If you're tempted by the diesels then I believe some of the early 3.0 TDI cars came with the multitronic instead and that copes well with the torque from a remap, which of course the diesels tend to respond well to.

Yep, I’m making the leap to Tdi and a remap maybe on the cards

As I mentioned I’m out of touch with modern auto boxes

I think this is right but can someone confirm please….

Two types of auto…..

S-tronic is the old DSG box and to be avoided?

Multitronic is the CVT box, is this one to avoid too?

From ads/pictures is there a way to tell them apart?

Last edited:
Currently running a B5 S4 which is getting a bit long in the tooth so time for a new one.

V6 S4's are over budget and I don't fancy a V8 so thinking about a 3.0 tdi

Looking to spend £7-8k so likely to be 100k+ maybe even 150k B7 or 8

Sent you a message earlier?