What have you done to your Audi A4 B7 today?

It took a little getting used to for me at first as my previous moter did about 50 mpg everywhere! That being said i love my old avant whether it does 20 or 40 mpg. Smiles per miles as it were, but these are heavy cars and quattro kills it even more unfortunately
its all about the grin factor with these....:yahoo:, the good thing with the quattro's is that you can get all the power down rain or shine.....well I do..:icon thumright:

Reactions: j_mcvic
I was being a bit diplomatic Martin ..lol, nothing wrong your avant chap.....
Its fine i know my mistake with getting the tdi just thought i was being sensible at the time wish i had waited for a tfsi and quatrro As i miss having awd as yea my tdi has power but cant put it down through the front wheels.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Fuel economy... what’s that? Lol. I should have shares in Shell the rate I get through V Max.

Reactions: AvantAlexB7 and martin1984
Yo Rob - give Tesco Momentum99 a try for a while - its considerably cheaper than Shell Vmax but actually gives a better bang for the buck (according to 5th Gear fuel tests) :racer:

Reactions: Rob Avant
had a EPC light ping up yesterday briefly when I started the old bus up, but it cleared straight away, decided to run vcds just in case and found nearly 12 error / faults detected......what the hell goes on , 9 are engine based alone , not good frankly.

maybe time to sell up if this is the start of something bigger now.

Wheel refurb.... Kinda looks different though can't quite place what it is :sos:
20181006 114600

Reactions: DieselJake
Fitted tinted 3D gel plates, team HEKO wind deflectors and give it a good clean inside n out :happy:

IMG 20181004 181653 638

Reactions: Dani_B19
Today I made a start on the rather long list of issues pinged up in the vcds error log.
started with the obvious ones first, clutch switch was malfunctioning.
Quick web search and ECP had one for £20 , so picked it up and fitted this afternoon and it does look a bit wornout and yes that's sorted out problem number 1.
Also resolved another issue that has allways been on the car since I purchased it but never thought twice about, the revs rising on gearchanges, not now.
Tommorow its off with the N80 valve as that's had it aswell, but I suppose both these parts are prone to failure so not a massive surprise , i'll do a vcds and run for a week or so to see if the rest of the engine error have been solved by changing the first two, I know the N80 can and does cause a few issues so maybe it's the source of most of my error logs.

Off with the old oem white one and on with a nice new facet blue switch.
IMG 1264

Last edited:
Reactions: i3oricua
Just had the K&N flat panel filter out for a look , it was absolutely filthy, and I do mean filthy so that wouldn't be helping either, spent a good while cleaning it properly , just need to let it dry out overnight.
So that's another item done.

Time for some toad in the hole now....yum:yahoo:

Today I made a start on the rather long list of issues pinged up in the vcds error log.
Quick web search and ECP had one for £20 , so picked it up and fitted this afternoon and it does look a bit wornout and yes that's sorted out problem number 1.
Also resolved another issue that has allways been on the car since I purchased it but never thought twice about, the revs rising on gearchanges, not now.
Tommorow its off with the N80 valve as that's had it aswell, but I suppose both these parts are prone to failure so not a massive surprise , i'll do a vcds and run for a week or so to see if the rest of the engine error have been solved by changing the first two, I know the N80 can and does cause a few issues so maybe it's the source of most of my error logs.

View attachment 167263

The brake and clutch switch can cause a lot of false errors. Glad you figured it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Charlie Farley

View attachment 167263
Does your avant have cruise Rob? Ive read the clutch switch can cause rev issues but also prevents CC working. Ive also read the clutch pedal has 2 switches? I was planning on replacing the pcv valve first but maybe ill swap the clutch switch instead

nope, no cruise fitted.
Changed the clutch switch as it was one of many failing parts on my vcds scan, seemed to do the trick.
Cant say I noticed two switches to be honest, but then I wasn't looking for two....
parts database only shows one aswell for the clutch.
part no 2, looks like two on the brake pedal though.
Upload 2018 10 8 18 25 39

nope, no cruise fitted.
Changed the clutch switch as it was one of many failing parts on my vcds scan, seemed to do the trick.
Cant say I noticed two switches to be honest, but then I wasn't looking for two....
parts database only shows one aswell for the clutch.
part no 2, looks like two on the brake pedal though.
View attachment 167353

I might be confused then regarding 2 switches! I retrofitted cruise a while back and still works as it should, hense why i was avoiding the clutch switch and going straight for replacing the pcv. and on it goes.....

just drop your under dash cover, three screws and take a look Alex, only takes a min.
Maybe there are two switches if you have cruise , you've got me thinking now.

Anyway, deffo solved the RPM incease when changing gear, mines total stopped it now, going to take a few miles to get used to it now aswell...lol

Changed my rear diffuser to my carbon fiber one. I actually like it. Wasn’t sure if I was gonna like it but I do. I do wish I had a more aggressive one but this will do. Had the all black one on there before. I’ve ordered new tips to fill in the valence, should arrive in a few weeks.

85bf03d0311fd4ff95da41b24f5aae48.jpg
6f5362d83a0852cb94c57b1b05a3ce4d.jpg
b5596b10ec75c5f320dbeae5fbeac252.jpg

Reactions: Rob Avant, Bobbytea, j_mcvic and 1 other person
just drop your under dash cover, three screws and take a look Alex, only takes a min.

Anyway, deffo solved the RPM incease when changing gear, mines total stopped it now, going to take a few miles to get used to it now aswell...lol

I need to get under there to finish my auto lights retrofit so will take a look while im there and let you know, ill give Tps a call tomorrow and add some more bits to my already long list!

Reactions: Charlie Farley
wow , I like those , great match for the valance too.....:icon thumright:
same size as the quads I fitted too, what back boxes do you have to fit them on?

I need to get under there to finish my auto lights retrofit so will take a look while im there and let you know, ill give Tps a call tomorrow and add some more bits to my already long list!

ECP are much cheaper and the Facet part is a much better replacement too, I only paid £20 for mine yesterday and in stock .
if you need the ecp P/N it's :464 440 290

Thanks Rob. I went with these

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/113246810039

It will take a while to arrive but I’ll be fine waiting.

I was originally looking at a very similar set but realised after fitting the valance, they needed to be offset type due to the single outlet position on the oem backboxes.

wanted these as a first choice
s-l1600.jpg

but wouldn't fit due to centre pipe location.

so went with these

Tips32

I was originally looking at a very similar set but realised after fitting the valance, they needed to be offset type due to the single outlet position on the oem backboxes.

wanted these as a first choice
s-l1600.jpg

but wouldn't fit due to centre pipe location.

so went with these

View attachment 167376

Yea I noticed that as well today when I was putting my valence on. I’ll see if I can make it work somehow. I noticed it after I ordered them.

View attachment 167263

Picked up the new clutch switch from Euro wrong parts this morning and a new PCV valve from TPS too. Hopefully one of those two bits will cure the rev hanging. Im doubtful the clutch switch will fix it as my cruise works fine, but ill soon find out. A cupra splitter will be landing with me at work tomorrow. I also secured another missing piece in the shape of a oem luggage net from a reletives dead a6.
20181010 213003

IMG 20181010 49977

Changed my rear diffuser to my carbon fiber one. I actually like it. Wasn’t sure if I was gonna like it but I do. I do wish I had a more aggressive one but this will do. Had the all black one on there before. I’ve ordered new tips to fill in the valence, should arrive in a few weeks.

85bf03d0311fd4ff95da41b24f5aae48.jpg

That is a beautiful bit of Kit - where did you get it from if you don't mind someone nicking the idea?

Reactions: Dani_B19
That is a beautiful bit of Kit - where did you get it from if you don't mind someone nicking the idea?

The carbon fiber diffuser? I bought it used from someone online a long time ago. I think ECS sells one but I haven’t looked in a long time.

Aha I have the same issue on mine, when you go to change gear the revs seem to increase - tres annoying. Was it a difficult job to do?

Aha I have the same issue on mine, when you go to change gear the revs seem to increase - tres annoying. Was it a difficult job to do?

Ive not yet fitted mine but its an easy enough job to do. I hope i can sort mine, as apart from the rear luggage cover having no runners, its the only thing i hate about my Avant! It really spoils the experience.

three screws , drop down the under dash panel , unplug the lead and twist /remove the old one.
Fit new and reversal of above steps, 10 min job.

I fitted new clutch & brake switches a while back to get the cruise control working again - which it did. BUT it didn't make any difference to the 'rev hanging' on gear changing - that still happens.
Drat, Drat & Double Drat! :grumpy:

Wacky races  dastardly mean machine t shirt 13812 p

Last edited:
maybe there is more going on when cruise is fitted , my old bus is cruise control free and its stopped my rpm rising on gearchanges straight away, dare I say its made the car much more lively now.....

I noticed that the pic you put up Rob shows a switch on the throttle pedal as well (number 1) - maybe that's got something to do with the rev hanging?

Pedal switches

I presume it's there to tell the ECU when the throttle pedal is released - perhaps if its a bit sticky it might cause the throttle to lag a bit?

Been out and extracted the MAF from its hiding place to give it a clean up , and did it need it , totally covered in crud......maybe that will also help clear some of my vcds log errors.....

I noticed that the pic you put up Rob shows a switch on the throttle pedal as well (number 1) - maybe that's got something to do with the rev hanging?

View attachment 167575

I presume it's there to tell the ECU when the throttle pedal is released - perhaps if its a bit sticky it might cause the throttle to lag a bit?

Looks to me like 1 and 3 are both on the brake pedal.

Reckon I'll be sticking my head under the dash for a looksee this weekend. If it stops raining long enough.............:frown new:

UPDATE!!
Ive swapped my clutch switch this morning and it has solved my rev hanging issue. I can now return to my previous driving style. I have CC and that still worked prior to replacing the switch so don't believe everything you read!

Reactions: Charlie Farley and Bobbytea
UPDATE!!
Ive swapped my clutch switch this morning and it has solved my rev hanging issue. I can now return to my previous driving style. I have CC and that still worked prior to replacing the switch so don't believe everything you read!

Awesome!! I’ve ordered mine, hopefully that’ll turn up next week.

UPDATE!!
you see chap, told you it was the switch.....:icon thumright::icon thumright:

And so another day and more technical failures to deal with.....
Brake switch has now gone on the blink and the reverse switch has died......a quick trip to ecp and both parts purchased with a good discount , so got two for the cost of one ….well something has to go right at the moment.
have a very bad feeling the MAF's gone tits up aswell now …..but i'll run vcds again and see what pings up on that front.

Reactions: AvantAlexB7