What have you done to your Audi A4 B7 today?

And yes i washed the car again... went out yesterday and it looked like i competed in a rally... but the wheels were covered in gray (salt from the roads) more a slate/ a bit darker than primer grey and they looked epic! just a shame the rest of the car also was covered in it... washed it, dried it, went over it with a microfibre cloth to get rid of any water marks... looks like my car again... yes i like to keep my cars as clean as possible. (Still need to pull the hoover out though) but it's coffee time!

Had to drive to Liverpool, then to Manchester and finally back to Harrow on Sunday so took the opportunity of leaving it in 5th and staying at the 3k rpm to activate the 'magic' and try to burn off as much carbon as possible. Also the slip road thrash in each gear, well the first four as licence losing mph comes up too quickly with Big Brother watching every driving infringement these days.
One thing I did notice is that on the drive back through the storm it felt rock solid, no drifting or corrections of the steering needed which I can only think is down to the four wheel drive, but very impressed with the old girl. Can't say I've noticed much difference in the way it drives since but time will tell and I'll order the dipetane.

Reactions: northpole
I abuse the car in max 3rd gear when i do the Italian tune-up... engine revs higher and works harder this in turn heats up the exhaust parts so they'll also get a chance to burn stuff off, and with you lot having turbo-ed engines it'll also help keep the VNT mechanism on the turbo clean as it gets that hot it'll start burning the soot off.

Reactions: ttelracs
Not exactly today but on Tuesday, the car passed the MOT with a couple of advisories for the front discs...
Expected so happy with that, not bad for a nearly 17 year old car!!!

Sent from my A063 using Forum Fiend v1.6.1.

Reactions: swisstony, ttelracs, Charlie Farley and 2 others
I just fixed the today snapped off hydraulic hinge of the glovebox... and as suspected the hydraulic damper was the reason why it snapped in the first place.. some penetrating silicone to make it move freely again and some araldite resin glue and a ton of patience... to wait for it to go tacky enough to hold the part in place (10 minutes) than the curing time of 2 hours...
You'd never know it's been repaired as the repair is completely out of sight... I could give it a lick of satin black but can't be bothered. it's repaired done. Saves me from buying another glovebox.

Reactions: Rob Avant
Not exactly today but on Tuesday, the car passed the MOT with a couple of advisories for the front discs...
Expected so happy with that, not bad for a nearly 17 year old car!!!

Allways a bonus to get another pass Mike.:yahoo:

It is allways easy to overlook B7's are getting on in years now, every mot pass is worth it.:thumbs up:

Had to drive to Liverpool, then to Manchester and finally back to Harrow on Sunday so took the opportunity of leaving it in 5th and staying at the 3k rpm to activate the 'magic' and try to burn off as much carbon as possible. Also the slip road thrash in each gear, well the first four as licence losing mph comes up too quickly with Big Brother watching every driving infringement these days.
One thing I did notice is that on the drive back through the storm it felt rock solid, no drifting or corrections of the steering needed which I can only think is down to the four wheel drive, but very impressed with the old girl. Can't say I've noticed much difference in the way it drives since but time will tell and I'll order the dipet
And yes i washed the car again... went out yesterday and it looked like i competed in a rally... but the wheels were covered in gray (salt from the roads) more a slate/ a bit darker than primer grey and they looked epic! just a shame the rest of the car also was covered in it... washed it, dried it, went over it with a microfibre cloth to get rid of any water marks... looks like my car again... yes i like to keep my cars as clean as possible. (Still need to pull the hoover out though) but it's coffee time!
After reading your post, I remembered taking a quick snap of mine when arrived in Liverpool last Sunday morning, funnily enough by the time we got back Sunday night after driving through the storm it looked like it had all been rinsed off. Yes I know I'm sad but...

Attachments

• IMG_20240121_142420548.jpg
    IMG_20240121_142420548.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 36
Kinda what mine looked like except with more mud slung on the doors from the front and rear wheels. And the hatch was completely grey... including the wheels.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Kinda what mine looked like except with more mud slung on the doors from the front and rear wheels. And the hatch was completely grey... including the wheels.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Yep, the rear does kick up an awful lot muck, reminding me I need to fix the rear wash. I'm sure the hose has come away inside, hence the rush bubble near the number plate. Another job to do but want it to be warmer...

Yep, the rear does kick up an awful lot muck, reminding me I need to fix the rear wash. I'm sure the hose has come away inside, hence the rush bubble near the number plate. Another job to do but want it to be warmer...
Thank god mine is oke... but I knew about this being a problem it was the 2nd thing I checked when viewing the car.

But deffo something for warmer weather.
I was considering getting some rally inspired mud-flaps but my car being the standard S-line it'll need at least sideskirts, a bumper lip ,rear diffusor and rear bumper corner splitters before that'll look oke... so not happening.

Last edited:
Reactions: ttelracs
Sun was out today albeit with a cool breeze but at least it was dry so a good opportunity to dig a bit further into the shaking /vibrating steering wheel and handling.

Off with both wheels and jacked up the front end and then went right through the front end bushes /joints etc , all good until it came to the nearside track rod end.
The boot is perished on the inner edge so hard to see without really getting up close and personal and there is definite play in it, not a massive amount but its there, the offside is fine, well its a lot newer.
With assistance from my good wife moving the steering wheel i was able to get right under the wheel arch with a torch etc to check the rack and inner joints. Nearside has a small amount of play very much like the end joint but the offside is very noisy and clunky, which kinda tallies up with the area the clonking was coming from.
So will organize a pair of inner rods and fit them with the outer I already have in a box waiting, going to do it all at once, wheel bearings, front arb bushes etc and then it is done and all the front is new.

may have a look at the Servotronic adjustment as it is advised but i doubt it will have much effect.

Last edited:
Then once the engine work is done ,in the summer i'll move onto the rear of the old bus do all those bushes and wheel bearings, probably get two new rear drive shafts too.

No end to it, but i'd be bored otherwise. :thumbs up:

Oh and not forgetting the 19" lemans to get finished and refitted.:yahoo:

I allways say that one shouldn't become a slave to their car, but enjoy it, I feel I may have drifted unwittingly into that relationship with the old bus, with more time spent fixing it than enjoying it at the moment , but I expect it will be worth it at some point.:whistle2:

Reactions: Rob Avant and northpole
The car is back from paint! It looks a lot better. I had the bumper off last night to fit some orange indicator bulbs. I had the bumper off on Friday night to fit the chrome plated ones i bought, but they were rubbish, almost pink in colour! What a pain! So back on with the bumper Friday night again as i had work early Saturday morning. So yeh, a dab hand at removing the front bumper and headlights now! I’ll put some pics up on my owners thread once I've put the roof rails back on and refitted all the interior trim.

Got a problem with the auto levelling headlights now though, warning on the dash. I will plug vcds in and see whats what. Cant see how it was working before it went for paint and now its not, hoping it just needs a reset or something.

Reactions: northpole, Charlie Farley and Rob Avant
Washed it! I use one of these for the final rinse....more so in the summer, but yesterday the winter sun came out and the water filter stops water spots that can be hard to remove from glass and the bodywork.

It was then treated to a nice coat of Collinite 915 Marque de elegance....wicked stuff and perfect for protection from all this awful salt at the moment.

Reactions: northpole, Rob Avant and Charlie Farley
I allways say that one shouldn't become a slave to their car, but enjoy it, I feel I may have drifted unwittingly into that relationship with the old bus, with more time spent fixing it than enjoying it at the moment , but I expect it will be worth it at some point.:whistle2:
I know the feeling... Think my old wagon spends more time in the garage or parked up not working than being driven these days. Dread to think what I’ve spent on it over the last few years. It will be worth it though, just keep telling myself that!

• Love
Reactions: northpole and Charlie Farley
Indeedy Rob, if we keep them long enough and get them just right then yes worth all the time, expense, and effort.:yahoo:

If keep telling myself that I should be fine..lol

• Haha
Reactions: Gmac, northpole and Rob Avant
lol by the time you are done with getting the car exactly how you want it, you'll be having the yellow rs4 avant of your dreams... just to kick this one to the curb and start all over again. Well not really you'll probably swap the recaro seats over and chuck the wingbacks in this one. Maybe one of the kids will snap up your car but probably not as the model is to old. A shame because it'll be one hell of a good car, and someone will happily buy it off you. I tend to do things to the car for me. The rest is maintenance and trying to keep it in the best condition possible without spending to much money on it.

Reactions: Gmac
I wouldn't sell to be honest, when and if the time comes to part company it will be in bits.

Reactions: Rob Avant and northpole
If you keep hold of a car long enough, and some cars will allways be worth keeping then it normally pays off resale wise years down the line.

I had a nice black Gordini back in the mid 80's , nobody wanted them after a few years , now look at prices, rough ones are very collectible, and nice top end examples are commanding strong money, just a case of how long one holds onto a car.
They were rust buckets , really unreliable when there was the slightest whiff of condensation in the air and parts were bonkers prices, but hey they looked great and drove just as well.

It happens I sold a few cars in bits, most of which i regret because in todays market they'd go for stupid money.

lol by the time you are done with getting the car exactly how you want it, you'll be having the yellow rs4 avant of your dreams... just to kick this one to the curb and start all over again. Well not really you'll probably swap the recaro seats over and chuck the wingbacks in this one. Maybe one of the kids will snap up your car but probably not as the model is to old. A shame because it'll be one hell of a good car, and someone will happily buy it off you. I tend to do things to the car for me. The rest is maintenance and trying to keep it in the best condition possible without spending to much money on it.
This is getting on a bit now, and I doubt anyone expected them to be worth much 50 or so years on, but hey, they are rather desirable now.:yes:

IMG 7996
IMG 7997
IMG 7995

Last edited:
Very nice indeed... I wished i had pictures to proof of my older mk2 golf 16vg60 or the Fiat uno turbo IE or the BMW E36 320i sleeper with the full M3 running gear and engine... but I don't the only pictures i had of those were real pictures (not digitized) and don't have those anymore. Anyway when i came over I did bring a 1.8g60 engine with me to build another mk2 16vg60 but I sold it off as I couldn't find a project RHD mk2 golf 16v to do the work (yes you have to combine parts of both engines to make it a 16vg60)

Last edited:
Reactions: Charlie Farley
If you keep hold of a car long enough, and some cars will allways be worth keeping then it normally pays off resale wise years down the line.
I used to lust after the Gordini but the 5TL was all I could muster, don't laugh it was my first car. The closest I got was the 11 Turbo which think with the Saab 99 defined turbo lag...

Reactions: Charlie Farley and northpole
It happens I sold a few cars in bits, most of which i regret because in todays market they'd go for stupid money.
Audi 80 Coupe 5 cyl, non turbo, Corrado 16v with BRM head and bottom end, Saab 9-5 Aero wagon 300bhp, yep way too many cars sold which would be worth a pretty penny now.

Well, these bad boys came today. Had advisories on the MOT a couple of weeks ago and managed to pick them up for a good price.
Another thing on the list for when the weather improves...
.IMG 20240131 152236216

Reactions: northpole, ttelracs and Charlie Farley
Well, these bad boys came today. Had advisories on the MOT a couple of weeks ago and managed to pick them up for a good price.
Another thing on the list for when the weather improves...
.View attachment 274068
Some potential serious stopping power with those floating discs. Which pads will you using on these?

I'll be picking up another set of EBC red stuff. Swapping like for like as I've had no issues with that setup..
Mike

Reactions: ttelracs, northpole and Charlie Farley
This is getting on a bit now, and I doubt anyone expected them to be worth much 50 or so years on, but hey, they are rather desirable now.:yes:

View attachment 273958View attachment 273959View attachment 273960

One of our neighbours took his v12 on a three week European tour to the Italian lakes and back late last summer.

I believe it performed faultlessly - although I know it was tuned up the day it set off as the whole village heard it!

Just lovely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

V12 is a geat motor and sounds awesome but made the later cars a bit cumbersome, the S1 straight six 3.8 is so much better , a much more nimble tool . :thumbs up:

I washed the car (snowfoam, wash, rinse, shammy dry, quick detailed, windows polished)... looks like it just been professionally detailed, ieven washed the doorshuts and the inside of the doors that always get dirty.. just need to get some tire dressing on the tires and the outside is done.

And tire dressing done... If tomorrow is dry I'll hoover the inside but for today that is it no more cleaning or anything other than driving it.

Following up from the diagnosis that I got when the car was serviced with Audi.

They advised that one of the rear parking sensors was faulty and offered to replace it for £800….

So I have bought one from eBay and will have a crack at taking the rear bumper off this weekend and replacing the sensor.

Looking at YouTube vids it’s not that simple.

Anyone got any tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Sad
That sort of quote from Audi doesn't surprise me one bit...and just makes it even more worth while doing it yourself. :thumbs up:

Reactions: ttelracs and northpole
Well the only tip I can give you is be careful removing the outer bumper the rest is easy.

Reactions: Dan_G