What have you done to your Audi A4 B7 today?

Spent half the day looking for my OBD 11 dongle… but I can’t find it :shrug:

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Houston we have a problem . Car was making a weird noise when I started it up on Saturday. Coming from right at the front so I
Knew it wasn’t the chains thank god .
Jacked it up and dropped the under tray and found this hanging off !

IMG 4538

Turns out the aux belt has decided to lose some weight and discard a small section
So obviously unbalanced so hopefully get it sorted this week as I due to go to Isle of Wight for the takeover event .
I assume it is bumper off and rad pack brought forward to change the belt ?

Typical but thank god it happened whilst I was at home and not half way down a motorway somewhere ..

bumper off job and moving the radpack forward... on the 2.0fsi/tfsi you might get away without moving the radpack, providing you got the right tools to do so.

bumper off job and moving the radpack forward... on the 2.0fsi/tfsi you might get away without moving the radpack, providing you got the right tools to do so.
Thought it might be but as the RS is in for a service on thursday I will ask them to do the belt at the same time with new pulleys and tensioner just to be on the safe side.

Reactions: northpole and Charlie Farley
Anyone know how long this drive belt is meant to be ? The bit that came off is around 100cm in total length with no breaks but all the replacements belts I have searched for seem to be longer in the pictures Are there two belts ?

Reactions: Charlie Farley and northpole
Cheers rob, I think I was panicking, just checked and seems to be 1175mm which is close to my rough measuring so should be good

I managed on the 2.0tfsi just with just the bonnet open.

19m spanner to move the tensioner, Allen key to hold it in place. Then a bit of knuckle skin, some swearing and a 30 cm ruler and you can get belts off and on without moving anything else. Fairly easy.

Did a check, i'll soon be collecting a timing belt kit + waterpump, thermostat, aux belt kit, rear abs sensor and pdc sensors.... yeah it'll be ontop of a fluid and filter service.

Last edited:
Reactions: Charlie Farley and swisstony
A little update on the RS drive belt issue. Got a call from the garage yesterday saying the parts required ( on a just in case basis ) from Audi UK total around £500 and non refundable including over-run pulley, tensioner and bearings. So best thing is to bring the car in early ( instead of thursday) so they could assess and order if needed. Dash back from London and take the car up there and in that time discover that the tensioner is not available from Audi UK so if that is at fault then I am screwed for my road trip on friday :( So left it with them and fingers crossed they fit the new belt , do a service and all is well.

The alternative is to put the RS off the road whilst I try and source the parts and take the daily on the roadtrip..****** hope not as the ferry is all booked etc

Reactions: northpole
Not the best news chap, hope it works out though.
Allways a spanner in the works sometimes with cars old or new.

Not the best news chap, hope it works out though.
Allways a spanner in the works sometimes with cars old or new.
Cheers rob

Just had a call from the garage, tensioner is broken and bearing shagged so my trip in the RS to the IOW is off :(

Time to dust off the daily and get that sorted...****** off

Thats a blow , at least once it’s done you can feel safe that’s another wear and tear part sorted.
But it does give you an opportunity to give the daily a spruce up and good run out .
Nothing wrong with your A4 chap, well worth taking it. :thumbs up:

Frankly after the last call I am even more ****** off. Garage called again to say whilst checking the car there is some supsension that needs fixing, split CV boot , you name it . Thats around £900 to fix. Then there is the small issue that they cant find the tensioner ( part number 079903133AK ) anywhere in the UK . So I say ok I find one in the US so if I buy it and get it shipped will that work. They say their policy is not to fit supplied parts. So essentially because they cant source the part and I cant supply it, then I am royally screwed. Great ..

The day has just got better and better . ******* cars

• Angry
Reactions: ttelracs
Frankly after the last call I am even more ****** off. Garage called again to say whilst checking the car there is some supsension that needs fixing, split CV boot , you name it . Thats around £900 to fix. Then there is the small issue that they cant find the tensioner ( part number 079903133AK ) anywhere in the UK . So I say ok I find one in the US so if I buy it and get it shipped will that work. They say their policy is not to fit supplied parts. So essentially because they cant source the part and I cant supply it, then I am royally screwed. Great ..

The day has just got better and better . ******* cars

Tell them to buy this one...just give them the link, and that'll be the cost it should be as you did all the work to find the part.

All Audi dealers have a policy to supply only new and original Audi parts, well it was last time I was aware.

You maybe better getting it back and going to an Indy.

All Audi dealers have a policy to supply only new and original Audi parts, well it was last time I was aware.

You maybe better getting it back and going to an Indy.
This is an Indy thats the point and the part I have sourced is from ECS Tuning in the US, genuine Audi/VW part..

Doesn’t sound like a most helpful of Indy garages, but some are just like that,
MAking a profit on the parts and covering their backs aswell.

In a way this is good example of why doing a lot of B7 repairs from a diy standpoint is a good choice, but it depends on whether one is upto doing the work.
It can save a lot of cash in labour cost and parts bill, but only if you are happy to do the work.

The belts is not a hard job , just a bit awkward really but worth doing diy, same with suspension, if one is upto it then worth doing.
If the car in need of repair is not a daily then the pressure of a prompt repair may not be an issue.
The belts and tensioner on the v8 are no harder to do than on the other petrol B7 variants and the front end moving into service position is the same procedure.
It’s a job I’d do myself without question , but everyone and situation can be different.

I did the cambelt/ tensioner and water pump on my old bus about 18 months ago , a mornings work and not difficult, only the parts bill which was not that much but saving a lot of labour charges , so well worth doing myself .

I remember back when I had the legacy spec b , the serpentine belt was starting to fail , my local dealer wanted over £200 to replace it
That was never going to happen, sourced the same spec belt, fitted it and all done in 30 mins , cost £15.99 .
No brainer but only if one is happy to do the fix, otherwise owners are at the mercy of garage fix and cost.

I had a quote from my local Indy when I was thinking about getting a garage to do the cam chain/ adjuster and tensioner.
When I said I had the parts and quality ones they didn’t want to know, but happy to do it if they supplied all the parts etc , needless to say I did it myself but it’s a common occurrence I’m afraid.

I noticed on my last long drive to Bournemouth and back over the weekend that the car seemed quite flat with no real shove, but put it down to it being a lot warmer but then over the week it became more apparent that it was like it was a n/a car.

Last night I jacked it up and look underneath at the wastegate and again the arm was hanging loose as it appeared as if the nut had come undone and the vibrations of the engine had allowed to to undo completely and come apart. This time it took about 30 mins to reattach and tighten up and this time I ensured the nut was tightened and I put some sealant on the nut and the thread behind it to stop it vibrating apart.

Suffice to say, the shove in the back is back and I've also ordered a replacement wastegate as I suspect mine is no longer as tight as it should be with the mileage nudging 160k. No photos but I'll try to post when I replace it.

Yeah the labour costs are stupid at the moment and if you can DIY do it yourself you'll be busy for a while but once you've done it yourself, it'll give you more satifaction.. plus the money you saved on labour can go to other things like uprated parts etc... (it's how i tackle stuff, but if i can repair something that isn't a performance part I'll always attempt to repair first, if that doesn't work than a replacement will be next) The only thing i get done is tire fitting, alignment, MOT... the rest i do myself (yes that also includes bodywork, although i did find a bodywork guy for a neighbour and his work is so good i might just use him for myself)

Big bills and old cars go hand in hand , and as such if one is not of a diy mindset then it’s going to hurt the Wallet at some point and normally on multiple occasions, that’s just life with older cars, and mileage is not allways a factor.

Big bills and old cars go hand in hand , and as such if one is not of a diy mindset then it’s going to hurt the Wallet at some point and normally on multiple occasions, that’s just life with older cars, and mileage is not allways a factor.
Indeed it is, I normally replace the lot after the first year I have just driven it around, hence the announcement a few days ago where I'm going to do timingbelt,waterpump, tensioner, aux belt, aux belt tensioner, thermostat, one rear abs sensor, a set of 4 pdc sensors, all fluids and filters, and today I decided to add new brake pads to the list.

If I would have this done at a garage I could buy another b7 avant with all the options I wanted in the first place, especially if they supply the parts. Nope all is going to be DIY. And me sourcing new parts as cheap as possible.

Reactions: ttelracs
My window regulator arrived today for my B5.5 Passat driver door.
Genuine VW was £169 so I went on ebay and got hopefully a half decent quality new one for £36 free postage which includes the aluminium panel. It's not my daily, was for years, but I can't part with a 1.9 AWX, I just can't! Only done 156k and is so smooth.
It's got some spec as it's Highline, and saloon is fine for me. It does have an appetite for CV boots...eaten several over the 17 years I've had it...ah well.

I'm then getting a mobile ex Skoda Hungarian guy to come and fit the regulator next week. He's happy to fit anything to anything.

He seems legit, no bull and has done a few bits for my parents recently, really nice guy, Zoltan, lives near Cranleigh I think.
My left rotator cuff is so shot to pieces, I used to do a lot more myself. I'm undergoing physio on it at the moment which is helping....sort of to a degree....I think

Reactions: northpole and Charlie Farley
I fitted an eBay drivers side window regulator asemmbly a few months ago, also around £30.
Good quality and fitted perfect and works well.

Reactions: northpole and Matt275
it would appear my falken tyre fitment has gone tits up for Monday.
Tyre centre can’t get them as they are in short supply and that’s across the board and no time frame as yet to get them in.
Same with 19” eagle asymmetric 6 , so all change and going to try the toyo proxy sport 2 .
Instead.
Probably a bad move but worth a go.

Fixed my car yesterday. New cam position sensor and cambelt. Car starts straight away as it should now when it's hot. Happy days!

Had new disks and pads all round a couple of months ago along with 2 new front calipers fitted by a garage as I couldn't be bothered with the bleeding, Now though the pads are rattling on the front. Had this issue before. So I now need to take the front pads out and pull the claw that goes into the piston out wider so it's real tight to get the pad in. This sorts the issue if any one ever has it. I did this before and no more rattling pads

Reactions: swisstony and northpole
Check the anti rattle springs , B7 are not known for pad rattle unless the springs are missing of worn. Slack.

it would appear my falken tyre fitment has gone tits up for Monday.
Tyre centre can’t get them as they are in short supply and that’s across the board and no time frame as yet to get them in.
Same with 19” eagle asymmetric 6 , so all change and going to try the toyo proxy sport 2 .
Instead.
Probably a bad move but worth a go.

Try uniroyal rainsport 5 (19’s), got them on my daily & far better than the falkens I had fitted previously.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a budget so high end are a non starter.

Reactions: northpole and KirkHallinan