S3 8p died tonight :(

Poma7

Reaction score
Driving on the motorway for 18 miles little bit of spirited driving, came off gave it a tickle and juddered, so nursed it home, and sounded like it was running on 3 cylinders so changed the spark plugs. Started it up and it sounded normal again back on 4 cylinders. Went for a spin and when it came on boost it was running like on 3 cylinders again. Noticed that It didn't boost fully either. Half a bar pressure (boost) rather than its usual 1.8 bar. Nursed it home popped the bonnet and its spat all of its oil all over the engine bay, I mean litres of the stuff not just a little bit. Not started the car since as obviously no oil in it and don't want to sieze it. Mechanic towing it to workshop tmro for a look. Any ideas? My first thought was turbo but I'm no expert. Car is 2007 s3 8p 80k miles. Mods are miltek turbo back exhaust, hpfp internals, itg intake, 4bar sensor, then obviously a map, which is a storm developments custom map equivalent to stage 2+. Oh there's also abit of oil on the back of the car from the exhaust too any ideas? Thanks

Bummer mate, all I can offer is tea& sympathy. Does sound like the turbo has popped. Hope you make it breathe again

You need to wash the oil off and take another look 1st.

Something everyone dreads but If the turbo has died, it might be worth an upgrade! I think awesome gti are doing the hybrid 420 for £1800...

Yes ^

With the said turbo mentioned above the map from APR I believe is silly money (Im sure I heard/read £800!!) Dont quote me on this though as It could be complete rubbish lol. I'm sure you could get it done cheaper though elsewhere..? If your turbo has gone I would look at a Beach Buggy unit or buy a good second hand one, Get it checked/rebuilt/uprated (Hybrid) ....

Not if you are replacing the turbo like for like or if the map is not a custom one

Pic of the aftermath, car is now at the garage and he filled it with oil again and started it and it's misfiring like crazy, no obvious oil leak though which seems strange. Mechanic on holiday now for a week so watch this space. Any ideas anyone?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 457
Jeez!! Looks nasty under there.

It's certainly looks around the turbo area....

Driving on the motorway for 18 miles little bit of spirited driving, came off gave it a tickle and juddered, so nursed it home, and sounded like it was running on 3 cylinders so changed the spark plugs. Started it up and it sounded normal again back on 4 cylinders. Went for a spin and when it came on boost it was running like on 3 cylinders again. Noticed that It didn't boost fully either. Half a bar pressure (boost) rather than its usual 1.8 bar. Nursed it home popped the bonnet and its spat all of its oil all over the engine bay, I mean litres of the stuff not just a little bit. Not started the car since as obviously no oil in it and don't want to sieze it. Mechanic towing it to workshop tmro for a look. Any ideas? My first thought was turbo but I'm no expert. Car is 2007 s3 8p 80k miles. Mods are miltek turbo back exhaust, hpfp internals, itg intake, 4bar sensor, then obviously a map, which is a storm developments custom map equivalent to stage 2+. Oh there's also abit of oil on the back of the car from the exhaust too any ideas? Thanks

Hi mate i dont want to scare you but i had the same thing happen to me 2007 S3 and itwasnt good, it had scored the block and needed full block rebuild hopefully yours is just turbo but theres a possibility

Mechanic is back off holiday Monday so hopefully find out more next week, found a couple of engines on eBay with low mileage so I'm primed if it's needed. Where did the oil spray out on yours? That's the bit I can't get my head round where that's come from?

Did u end up rebuilding the engine? Who did it? How much was that? Did it run right after?

Hey , I had similar thing yesterday. My car is from 2008 80k . First it lost power then the oil disappeared . Ohhh and engine was running funky. I'm going to the garage tomorrow

Sorry to hear mate, that sucks! What was the outcome of this in the end?

E]
It's in progress means I dont know what happened. Mechanic said it's probably turbo but car wasn't smoking at all no power and loosing oil under pressure.Btw I have exactly the same color black .

Let us know how you get, fingers crossed for you. This is something that really concerns me as quite a few people are having their turbo's blow, despite looking after them well. What's the cause?

Let us know how you get, fingers crossed for you. This is something that really concerns me as quite a few people are having their turbo's blow, despite looking after them well. What's the cause?

Turbos don't last forever,especially when pushed hard.

By remapping an engine,especially to Stg2+,the stock turbo is being pushed pretty hard,and the first thing to go is usually the oil seals,and this sort of thing is the result.
If you're lucky,you get some warning with smoking and oil usage,other times you don't unfortunately.

There is a lot of sense in running a bigger turbo less hard,with far better airflow at lower turbine speeds,but the downside is always cost.

Reactions: SootySport and HHS3
Turbos don't last forever,especially when pushed hard.

By remapping an engine,especially to Stg2+,the stock turbo is being pushed pretty hard,and the first thing to go is usually the oil seals,and this sort of thing is the result.
If you're lucky,you get some warning with smoking and oil usage,other times you don't unfortunately.

There is a lot of sense in running a bigger turbo less hard,with far better airflow at lower turbine speeds,but the downside is always cost.

Thanks for your response, this was exactly what I was looking for.

As oil rings tend to be the first thing to go, would changing these prolong the life of the K04? Is there any other precautionary measures you can take like changing other turbo parts or getting it inspected/cleaned etc? After I go stage 2+ sometime next year hopefully, then I wouldn't be able to afford a new turbo for a couple of years as saving for a house will be my priority (already hard as renting!) and dare I say it, marriage will have to be on the cards lol.

I already do the following:
  • Let the dash do a full sweep before starting the car up
  • Never boot it from cold, always let the oil reach 90 degrees before ragging
  • The last minute or two of driving is always slow, if I've been tearing then I'll also idle for 30 seconds after the final slow drive before turning the car off
  • Change oil every 5K (recently swapped from Quantum Platinum 5W40 to Millers Nanodrive 5W40)