Window Squeak - Tried 2 remedies / still squeaking - Video

dk1234

Reaction score
I've searched about how to fix a squeaky window as my window was like this when I bought the car (I didn't actually test it as it was raining and I forgot). I doubt it makes a difference but it's a 58 plate facelift.

I've tried using anti bacterial wipes all along the window seals. That didn't work and the squeak was still there. I then read that Silicone Lubricant was suggested and helped resolve squeaking for some people. I've sprayed quite a bit around the windows, top, bottom, left, right and both these fixes haven't worked.

I'm hoping there might be other solutions to fix the noise as I don't even want to wind the window down lol

The window looks like it's going up and down OK. Is it the motor that's noisy?

The window looks like it's going up and down OK. Is it the motor that's noisy?

I'm not sure really, I can't pin point where the squeak is actually coming from. I'm wondering if there is anything else I could try? before, say, maybe taking the door card off.

If the channels/felt what the glass slides up and down in can be removed easily, you might find the culprit

If the channels/felt what the glass slides up and down in can be removed easily, you might find the culprit

Does anyone know if the channels/felt can be removed easily? or how they should be removed? are they glued on, I don't want to break anything.

Do you think removing the door trim will help? I'm assuming the door trim comes of the same on 8p3 as an 8p2 shown below in a video from youtube. At 1.48 in the video the guy removes the door trim completely, just so you can see what it looks like. Do you think I need to remove it or can I get the channel/felt out and back in without removing it?

Reactions: Audisportconvertible
Just whip it off, you'll be able to find out in the motor gearing is knackered as well. Once you taken the card off you'll be an expert and be able to remove it in 5mins the future.
The motor is fitted with 3 screws, no awkward mechanism to dismantle. Take the motor out and have a look at the nylon teeth on the motor wheel and the fixed wheel, see if they are damaged or chewed up, apply some silicone grease if dry.
The window horizontal outer sill rubber just pull off, so remove that and see if the window winds quietly, if not the window rubber/felt guides need to come out or just squirt some silicone grease in there. I've never had them out so not quite Au Fait with them.

I took the door card off and the motor part it looked fine from what I could make out after wiping it.

When I took it out.
motor_1.jpg

After I cleaned it
Motor_cleaned.jpg

Motor connection
Motor_connection.jpg

When I plugged the motor back in, im not sure if the key fob lost it's settings e.g. hold lock button to wind up the window automatically and unlock button to wind window down automatically. Anybody know how to set them back, lol it's much easier testing the window with that than attaching the door card and plugging in the connection :(

I didn't take the rubber off as I wasn't sure which part to try and pull off. I've put little arrows resting on the peices that I think you may be talking about. the point of the arrow resting on the piece it's referring to. So if you could let me know if it's the red one, etc. I'm not sure if the yellow and the blue arrows are referring to the same part as theres a sort of suede material that rests next to the window that folds/doubles up (Is that "felt" that people have mentioned?

The Orange arrow - I know that what my door card attaches to, but can I use pliers or something to pull them out and put them back into the door card or should I leave as it is as I think about 4 or 5 of them are still in the door as shown in the picture.

arrows_inside_door.jpg

After trying everything mentioned today here is the sound of my window, still not sorted. One thing I've noticed is that the window that is squeaking rests higher than the passenger side window. The drivers side doesn't go all the way into the door when fully down, whilst the passenger side one does. Also at some stage the door has been off before as I could tell by the screws.

I've left my door card off and wondering if there is any more suggestions or tips with what I should do next. I'll also update this thread with the solution when/if I get one, so that others will have a nice guide of what to try if they have the same problem. thanks for the suggestions so far.

all you do is ignition on and hold the switch all the way up then keep holding for a few seconds then the same with down resets the one touch and the fob will work

I was referring to the blue arrowed one, looks like it needs a clean up. Prising off the triangle cover around the mirror stem will help.
If you still have noisy windows after all that, it has to be the rubber glass guides inside the window frame and the guides going down into the door void. They look difficult to remove so hopefully someone else can advise there, never had to go that far myself.

all you do is ignition on and hold the switch all the way up then keep holding for a few seconds then the same with down resets the one touch and the fob will work

That worked, thanks for that.

I was referring to the blue arrowed one, looks like it needs a clean up. Prising off the triangle cover around the mirror stem will help.
If you still have noisy windows after all that, it has to be the rubber glass guides inside the window frame and the guides going down into the door void. They look difficult to remove so hopefully someone else can advise there, never had to go that far myself.

Thanks, tomorrow I'll try cleaning it up a bit more, that picture was when I first took it off. and then I'll try and peel/pull the the rubber marked by the blue arrow in the pic above, that strip is normal rubber on one side(against door) and sort of suede on the other side (the side that can be seen in the picture).

While it's all apart can you spray all the guides inside the door void with good dose silicone spray ?

Yes, I've got Halfords Silicone Lubricant spray that I tried with the door card on, it's left my window quite greasy but I'll try it again.

Yes, I've got Halfords Silicone Lubricant spray that I tried with the door card on, it's left my window quite greasy but I'll try it again.

Yeah, I know what you mean but you normally only need spray it into the side runners then it only makes the edge of the window a bit grubby

Okay I've tried cleaning it up again and sprayed some of the silicone lubricant into the sides. I tried to take the rubber of (blue arrow) but it wouldn't budge, I was trying to pull it out with my fingers. I took out the motor part again and also sprayed more silicone lubricant on both parts. the sound is still there :(

When the window was down between the rubbers I could see a pulley (white plastic circle)thing I sprayed some lubricant on that too and squeezed my finger in there and rubbed it on, sound still there.

I'm wondering if I should try taking out the whole top half of the window (like the guy in the above video, post #6) or if I should take it to a garage. Usually on the inside of the drivers door is there supposed to be a sticker that tells you about the wheel psi as I don't have one there? I'm thinking that something has gone on with the door, either the door could have been replaced, the mirror replaced or the glass. Like I said the glass is a bit higher on the squeaky side (drivers side) than the passenger side. The window doesn't disappear into the door like the passenger side.

Edit: I just looked at the markings/numbers on the passenger side and drivers side windows and they appear to be the same on those two, so maybe the window hasn't been replaced.

Last edited:
I phoned Audi and asked for the price for the window seal rubber on the drivers side, was quoted £82.37 for the part. I asked if it was just the bottom bit or it it went around and he said "yeah it goes around" I said the whole window and he said "yeah". I asked if I bought it in if he might know a rough price for them to fit it, he checked with somebody else and asked for window channel for 2009 8P and the guy said "the cloth holder, the felt?...about an hour and a half" The original guy than asked "does the aluminium top have to come out" the other guy said "no I don't think so, the glass has got to come out though". The original guy than quoted me "about £230".

Do you think any of this info may be useful.

Have you given up? It's all time consuming changing these sort of rubber seals so yes it's expensive.
The tyre pressure stick is inside the fuel flap.

Yes I sort of gave up and went around a local garage with the door card off. Showed the guy the problem and he said he could take a look and grease up the insides. He took the top half of the window out, same as the video in post #6 and greased up the tracks with grease that the windows went down and the circle plastic pulley things, he also sprayed something on them but not sure what. So far the squeak has gone. Not bad, he charged me 40 quid but I'm happy with that to get it sorted. Hopefully it lasts as I've only driven the car home since. Anyway here's a quick video of where the grease was applied. Hopefully if anybody else has this problem this thread/info will be of help. Thanks for the help guys, appreciate it.

So he's had the door carrier out then, that would be the only thing left to do that I could suggest. For £40 that's good. Fingers crossed that the noise doesn't come back.

So he's had the door carrier out then, that would be the only thing left to do that I could suggest. For £40 that's good. Fingers crossed that the noise doesn't come back.

Yep, my fingers are most definitely crossed that it doesn't come back lol. I was definitely pleased with the price too, first time I've used that garage so if I got any little odd jobs I might have to use them in the future.