Conrod install questions...

grainqey

Reaction score
Hello,

I've had a CDL bottom end (pistons and rods) sat a while now before taking the plunge in my AXX.
Couple of questions really, I've done plenty of oily engine part bits so I don't really have a problem doing it all but there are a couple of rods off/pistons out specific questions really....

1. piston ring size (the pistons should be 82.5) but if I hone the bores to get rid of glazing then would I be better going for the 82.51 rings rather than 82.5 ones or can I not go for either until I've actually honed it and measured it?

2. I don't really want to take the crank off and do the main bearings as it's low mileage for the age, is this ok or will I get stoned for having just said that :p I'd rather not take it off - yes I know I've already got it all off otherwise but i'd rather not disturb it.

3. Last question, assembly lube and running in... assembly lube between crank and bearings but what else do I need to put it on? and what does everybody else do about running in the rings and bearings with regards to oils and mileage before changing?

Thanks a lot in advance
Alex

Hi Alex....I'm rubbish with the oily bits,but I would strongly recommend uprating the bearing shells,and the retaining bolts.

I think that leaving that out could well come back to bite you later on.....

Reactions: grainqey
Hi Alex, when you say the bearing shells do you mean the crankshaft bearings with presumably such as the calico bearings?

A mechanic mentioned doing the crank bearings while I had everything off but I didn't fancy setting the crank end float and I also don't have any feeler gauges - some engineer I am but I don't really do anything to warrant having them!

Thanks
Alex

Yes.
If I remember we used Mahle bearing shells in mine but any good quality uprated set would be fine.

Reactions: grainqey