Custom rear seat ski hatch on a saloon?

Sam reid

Reaction score
Right I've been toying with the idea of making a custom ski hatch through the rear seat armrest on my saloon. As far as I'm aware it was an optional extra on the saloon.

Anyone tried or seen it been done?

Well mine has folding rear seats and the rear arm rest but no ski hatch, hasn't bothered me tbh.

Why do you want one mate?

I was thinking of doing this in the Avant so I don't have to mess about with the dog guard and lay the seats down when I go fishing.

Reactions: iucle
It's mostly for my snowboard to save me putting it in the back seats, and if I ever bought curtain rails or something haha

I really dislike the idea of fitting a roof rack, really not a fan of them. So I think I may actually give this bash.

Wish I had folding seats

I was thinking of doing this in the Avant so I don't have to mess about with the dog guard and lay the seats down when I go fishing.

yep me to carl mate, my dog guard no longer lives in the car during the summer as my fishing gear takes priority over the dog, lol would be nice to have the go through option on the seats,

keep us posted sam would like to see how you get on.

I did this on my saloon B6 but must be the same in B7

Rear seat back out and boot trim off to see the panel that is marked out already to cut out. Once out I had fitted an A6 ski hatch, but then ordered the A4 interior trim panel for a better finish.....A6 one would have been fine if my OCD had not taken over

This comes out
3297B494-4272-46E7-B244-870104A2FBFB_zpsjxpwkdim.jpg

Hatch goes in
AB223F74-C841-4467-9357-C87420753213_zpsgimfkllv.jpg

FD6331EE-D329-403E-80E3-FA0F82528843_zps5v2gxfch.jpg

0CBACACE-B07B-46B5-AE8F-24E84EF5EED1_zps77vf0k6i.jpg

Reactions: Baka
Hmmmm I may have a look at the rear of my Avant seat tomorrow. You never know it maybe marked out also.

Mark did you get all new parts or second hand?

I did this on my saloon B6 but must be the same in B7

Rear seat back out and boot trim off to see the panel that is marked out already to cut out. Once out I had fitted an A6 ski hatch, but then ordered the A4 interior trim panel for a better finish.....A6 one would have been fine if my OCD had not taken over

I've cut out the panel and I was just gonna dress the edges with something for now, didn't know you could buy the a6 ski hatch. Did you get it from the dealer?

The back of the ski hatches (the part with the door and hinge) are all the same from what I have seen. The differences come from the interior trim panel.

I got mine from a car breaker for £5 and then another £17 from TPS for the suitable interior trim panel to finish off as the A6 one fitted but did not fit perfectly with the A4 seats.

The hatch part I got for £5 would be about £150 from a dealer/TPS last I looked at it.

Great post as I'm in the process of doing my ski hatch mod do you have part numbers for the bits needed?

Also interested I would like to do this to to my avant for kayak paddles