Ultimate Wheel Balancing & TD Pro Race 1.2 Wheels

Sayam

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
So the wheel wobble I have is still there and it's driving me insane now!

Other than balancing I've narrowed it to the wheels themselves.

Does anyone know of somewhere not too far from West Yorkshire (but I am prepared to travel) that has the dog's danglies in terms of wheel balancing machines? I'm not so sure how often the local independent tyre centre has theirs calibrated and its important to me because I may spend on new wheels on the back of the outcome.

I'd be prepared to travel up to 1 hour to get it done and done properly.

Secondly, if the balancing can't fix the problem then it can only be the wheels. I've borrowed a set of genuine A3 Rotor wheels from a friend and that cured the wobble.

My wheels aren't buckled so it leads me to believe that my alloys being the wrong spigot size and needing spigot rings is causing the issue.

My question is if I have no choice to change the wheels do I go for a set of used genuine A3 wheels (because the spigot size will be correct and won't need spigot rings) or do I go for a set of TD Pro Race 1.2 which the company have said they can make for me in the correct spigot size, so wouldn't need spigot rings either.

What is everyone's experience and opinion of the TD Pro Race 1.2?

Reason I ask is for the price of a used set of A3 wheels I can buy a brand new set of TD's...

Thank you,
Sayam

Are the spigot tight on the hub and tight in the wheel? (my money is on this tbh)

Also all you need is a wheel machine to spin them up and you'll see any movement either way.

Are the spigot tight on the hub and tight in the wheel? (my money is on this tbh)

Also all you need is a wheel machine to spin them up and you'll see any movement either way.

Its so weird because the spigot ring are that tight it can be difficult to get the wheel off...

Tbh I'm not sure if the tyre place uses the spigot rings or not when they balance them, would that matter?

TBH i'm not either but i can't see it making any difference as they use them cone shaped holders

So here's the full problem:

Genuine Audi A3 18" Rotor wheels (with f11cked tyres - mismatched and one had a puncture) - zero wobble car drives like new.

My copy BBS wheels with 66.6 to 57.1 spigot rings the wobble is really bad. In fact at some points wobble doesn't do it justice, it's more of me wrestling with the steering to keep it on a straight line on the motorway.

Car has new front and rear wishbone bushes, new ball joints, new tyres, new top mounts and has had a 4 wheel hunter alignment recently too.

Do you reckon I should gamble and change steering rack ends and track rod ends?

It feels like it is coming from the passenger front as front seat passengers report the wobble under their feet.

But then why would the genuine Audi wheels fix it? Or is it that due to the higher positive offset the effect is reduced?

I have 2 sets of Team Dynamics wheels and they never wobble, also a lot of other Kit Car fraternity use them without problems. They are one of the best aftermarket wheel makers.
There's always a chance that one of your wheels is cream crackered and got past quality control or subsequently damaged. Bit of an odd issue here, don't have an answer from here.

I also use TD 1.2s on my S3....no wobble.

Thanks guys, seems like a trip to the wheel shop is in order.

The guys that said they have Team Dynamics wheels - are they CB 57.1 or do some of you use spigot rings?

Sounds like a wheel is shot , if it's fine with different wheels then I guess that rules out another component causing it ,
Got a set of 3sdm 0.05s if your interested ?

Reactions: Sayam
Sounds like a wheel is shot , if it's fine with different wheels then I guess that rules out another component causing it ,
Got a set of 3sdm 0.05s if your interested ?

Would love to but not so keen on the 8.5J width, I'm not a fan of stretch and all that. At some of the speeds I drive at on the motorways I don't need something going pop lol.

Can you send me some pics over though, may have someone in mind, assuming they'll fit a mk6 golf?

Would love to but not so keen on the 8.5J width, I'm not a fan of stretch and all that. At some of the speeds I drive at on the motorways I don't need something going pop lol.

Can you send me some pics over though, may have someone in mind, assuming they'll fit a mk6 golf?
Hardly any stretch running 225 supersports on them , no tires on em at the mo though
I have no idea on fitment on a golf mate ?

Attachments

• received_10153790168734073.jpeg
    received_10153790168734073.jpeg
    305.2 KB · Views: 216
  • received_10153790168329073.jpeg
    received_10153790168329073.jpeg
    274.7 KB · Views: 205
  • IMAG0233.jpg
    IMAG0233.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 259
Do you reckon I should gamble and change steering rack ends and track rod ends?

It feels like it is coming from the passenger front as front seat passengers report the wobble under their feet.

But then why would the genuine Audi wheels fix it? Or is it that due to the higher positive offset the effect is reduced?

Definitely not a mechanical issue with the car if another set of wheels are ok.

Lower offset wheels might be more prone to wobble if there's a small problem like balancing but shouldn't create the wobble if everything is fine.

Have you watched the wheels on the balance machine for tyre runout/roundness of the wheels?

Spigot rings are essential for smoothness, just a fraction out will mean the wheel is spinning off-centre so the whole wheel is immediately out of balance.

Change ONE wheel for a stock OEM wheel at a time... then go for a drive...

this will eliminate if it is ONE wheel, or more/all of them?

Hardly any stretch running 225 supersports on them , no tires on em at the mo though
I have no idea on fitment on a golf mate ?

Car looks awesome mate!! No worries let me do some research, should be same fitment hopefully. How much you asking for them?

Definitely not a mechanical issue with the car if another set of wheels are ok.

Lower offset wheels might be more prone to wobble if there's a small problem like balancing but shouldn't create the wobble if everything is fine.

Have you watched the wheels on the balance machine for tyre runout/roundness of the wheels?

Spigot rings are essential for smoothness, just a fraction out will mean the wheel is spinning off-centre so the whole wheel is immediately out of balance.

I haven't watched the wheels on a balancing machine to be honest, I might get them rebalanced and try this, thank you :)

Change ONE wheel for a stock OEM wheel at a time... then go for a drive...

this will eliminate if it is ONE wheel, or more/all of them?

That's a great idea, don't know why I didn't think of that lol!

what wheel bolts are you using? tapered, radius?

@sliced I have the correct tapered wheel bolts, which I changed to after reading that post.

The tapered wheel bolts cured one aspect of the wobble (that was being caused by poor bolt seating in the wheel) but the bigger of the two wobbles remains...

I have a set of pro race on my S4 and two of them have buckled, not sure how. Place near me straightens them but not had it done yet.

Rick

Thanks for the insight Rick.

How old are they? I'm guessing they buckled due to age or because they went in a big pot hole or something like that, or is it poor design in your opinion