Nathan Bailey

Blue Audi A3 Sport
Reaction score
I have recently posted a thread about my car having problems starting when it is at running temperature and also white smoke coming from the exhaust and today I was driving home from work and I was in 5th gear went to put my foot down and nothing happened. I got to 70mph and it wouldn't go any faster at all as if it was in some sort of limp mode, the noise from the waste gate isnt there anymore and there is just no boost what so ever.

But the weird thing is the hot start problem has now gone it now starts up fine.

Please can someone shed some light and point me in the right direction before i fork out £400 for a new turbo :(

Could be your temperature sensor to the radiator, my mates mk 4 golf had same symptoms, smoke out of exhaust, the car shuts down the turbo as a safety issue, all gauges work perfect, bet if you get a rolling test on you car or vcds test it will show up the car running at 130 degs when it should be around the 95 mark.

Could be your temperature sensor to the radiator, my mates mk 4 golf had same symptoms, smoke out of exhaust, the car shuts down the turbo as a safety issue, all gauges work perfect, bet if you get a rolling test on you car or vcds test it will show up the car running at 130 degs when it should be around the 95 mark.

Ahh makes sense I think they have 2 temperature sensors if I am correct, I have already replaced the one on the pipe close to the engine but i think there is also one at the bottom of the radiator if I remember correctly. Thanks for the reply!

Cool, let me know how you get on.

Just read up about it then mate, I am getting a fault code something a long the lines of Turbocharger over boost or something. Ive been told this is because of the veins in the turbo seizing up and letting too much air in so im going to try clean the turbo out with some mr muscle which I have heard can fix the problem, will post after I have done this!

Just read up about it then mate, I am getting a fault code something a long the lines of Turbocharger over boost or something. Ive been told this is because of the veins in the turbo seizing up and letting too much air in so im going to try clean the turbo out with some mr muscle which I have heard can fix the problem, will post after I have done this!
I believe that can work in some circumstances but would only be a short-term fix.

Reactions: Nathan Bailey
So I cleaned the turbo and the egr out and took it for a nice long drive down the bypass staying in 3rd gear (as recommended) and so far so good, its no longer smoking clouds of white smoke and I can get to 60mph in 3rd gear without it going into limp mode so so far the strip and clean is a fix!
If anyone else is having this problem heres the link to the youtube video I watched.

Reactions: Dannymoto