Coilovers or change shocks?

JamesMadog

Reaction score
Hi all just wanting some advice, i bought some H&R lowering springs and had them fitted not long back, i love how it sits not too low but i find the ride quite bouncy, seems to take ages to settle after speed bumps and general pot holes, am i right in thinking this is cause i have standard shock's on the car if so am i better off taking the plunge and buying a decent set of coilovers or will a decent set of shock's be a better option, advice and product recommendations would be great, thanks

B4 Bilsteins are for lowering 40mm max, Which H&R springs are you lowered on? You might want to go for Bilstein B8s.

Im pretty sure its 30mm, ive looked at prices and i reckon im better of just going for a deent set of coilovers

Im pretty sure its 30mm, ive looked at prices and i reckon im better of just going for a deent set of coilovers
You think?
Coilovers have a place on track if you know how to set them up to get the best from your car on various tracks and changing back to road conditions again if you drive the car on British roads, it really annoys me when coilovers are fitted and just lowered to the max, harsh ride bumpy and uncomfortable and it makes a car unstable. If you want comfort and lowered then go for a road setup which bilstein have done all the groundwork for you with the B4 B6 &B8 dampers with pro eibach springs.

Reactions: Donny_DJ
As above .

Coilovers have their place , a spring and damper set up is far more forgiving on Britain's poor roads .

Reactions: Sayam and Donny_DJ
You think?
Coilovers have a place on track if you know how to set them up to get the best from your car on various tracks and changing back to road conditions again if you drive the car on British roads, it really annoys me when coilovers are fitted and just lowered to the max, harsh ride bumpy and uncomfortable and it makes a car unstable. If you want comfort and lowered then go for a road setup which bilstein have done all the groundwork for you with the B4 B6 &B8 dampers with pro eibach springs.

As above .

Coilovers have their place , a spring and damper set up is far more forgiving on Britain's poor roads .

I completely agree with the comments above. Coilovers are good if you want the ride-height adjustability but *tend* to be a stiffer ride, so best for the track. I went for the Bilstein B12 Sportline kit (which is basically Bilstein B8 dampers + Eibach Sportline lowering springs) and it lowers the car perfectly whilst maintaining excellent ride comfort and practicality.

Reactions: audismart
I had coilovers on my leon FR and thought they were brilliant, i would never lower it to the max as im not one of these people who drives around looking to avoid pot holes, im just looking at keeping the same ride height without the bouncyness, also i dont wanna be spending more money on springs when im quite happy with the H&R springs that are already on the car, i just want a happy medium without blowing a hole in my pocket

I completely agree with the comments above. Coilovers are good if you want the ride-height adjustability but *tend* to be a stiffer ride, so best for the track. I went for the Bilstein B12 Sportline kit (which is basically Bilstein B8 dampers + Eibach Sportline lowering springs) and it lowers the car perfectly whilst maintaining excellent ride comfort and practicality.
I did wonder if the B8s came with the B12 kit, once my S-Line dampers are shot, I will be going for the B8s. No point at the moment, there only on 60k, got another 40k in them I recon.

The only dampers available by Bilstein for the S3 8P model is the B8 but these are designed to be used with the standard S3 springs so for the H&R springs you'd need to get the front dampers shortened.

Let me know if you need any more info or prices.

Damian @ DPM Performance

The only dampers available by Bilstein for the S3 8P model is the B8 but these are designed to be used with the standard S3 springs so for the H&R springs you'd need to get the front dampers shortened.

Let me know if you need any more info or prices.

Damian @ DPM Performance

So Bilstein don't do a oe S3 B4 ?

AP coilovers are just as comfy as h&r springs, I've had both on the same chassis.

The ap's I've had for probably 3 years now, lowered as much as possible all the time and still just as comfy as they were day 1

Does anyone know anyone or a good place to get arches rolled? I have 20mm spacers on the back and i tend to get a bit of rubbing when i have 3+ people in the car or when the car settles after going over a speed bump, im hoping the coilovers will get rid of this as the shocks would be firmer however i wouldnt mind going lower once the coilovers are on not much maybe another 5mm, yeah i know i could take the spacers off but i love the look and how wide it looks from the back, any thoughs would be great, thanks

Does anyone know anyone or a good place to get arches rolled? I have 20mm spacers on the back and i tend to get a bit of rubbing when i have 3+ people in the car or when the car settles after going over a speed bump, im hoping the coilovers will get rid of this as the shocks would be firmer however i wouldnt mind going lower once the coilovers are on not much maybe another 5mm, yeah i know i could take the spacers off but i love the look and how wide it looks from the back, any thoughs would be great, thanks

I'd swap the spacers for 15mm ones and sell the ones you have at the moment.

I'd swap the spacers for 15mm ones and sell the ones you have at the moment.

Either that or I'd just add a bit of negative camber to the rear so it'll clear the corner of the bumper that it rubs on

How hard is it to add negative camber? I heard theres a screw at the top of the wheel arch? Can this be removed?

How hard is it to add negative camber? I heard theres a screw at the top of the wheel arch? Can this be removed?

Yeah removing the screw is almost a given. Definitely remove that as usually that's where it rubs the tyre.

I'm not sure how hard it is to add camber or how it would affect the handling of the car.

Surely it's easiest and with least knock-on effect to change the spacers?

Yeah remove the screw if you haven't already as this is the usual cause of rubbing, however if the rubbing is still there any garage that does alignment will be able to adjust the rear camber. It's only the front that isn't adjustable.