DPF Problems

candybuddy

Reaction score
Hi i have a 2008 audi a4 2.0 TDI 143BHP i was driving today and the light for the diesel particulate filter came on. Immediately after the glow plug light started flashing and the car went into limp mode I've done some research and it seems uncommon for it to go into limp mode right after the warning light coming on? I've also heard that the sensors are a common fault to me it seems the sensor is more likely the cause otherwise surely it would of gave me more notice that the dpf was getting blocked?

What do people think replace the sensor and then go from there i also plan on buying vag-com to assist me further. I really appreciate any help you can give.

Do you do a lot of miles, or at least drive between 2-3krpm a lot?
Best bet is definitely a scan to see where you are with it - whereabouts do you live?
In VCDS, you can also look at measuring blocks of the DPF to see if it isshowing as clogged up. It may be possible to force a regen depending on its state.

Was it definitely the DPF light? I also have a CR140 and two things have put it into limp mode (turbo actuator and manifold flap motor stuck) but it is the coil light that showed.

I probably do 15 miles a day to work and back but its all fast dual carriageway driving and I've recently been on a long journey to liverpool which i would of thought would of cleared a lot of the soot out this is why I'm swaying towards thinking it is the sensor especially as they are a common fault. I live in leicester and yes it was defiantly the dpf light as i took a picture of it to compare it with the owners manual.

Have a look through a VCDS register, someone nearby will scan it for beer tokens to save you buying a cable.

What is your mileage? The DPF will need replaced eventually when the soot is converted to ash and it fills up

current mileage is 138000 which is the worrying part think the cheapest option will be to get it removed and mapped out.

Reactions: Paul @ Unit 9 Remaps and ruairi83
Yep it could be maxed out with ash. I like your thinking. Hopefully you know a friendly MOT tester

Yeah dpf removal is now illegal so beware, scan will help for sure, either local owner or purchase vcds & of course we sell them :)