Grill Photoshop Request

HHS3

Phantom Black S3 - R-Tech Stage 2+
Reaction score
Hello,

Can someone photoshop the below image (thank you SamA3 for this) to have a Chrome surround to match the rings please?

I own a 2007 Black Audi S3 (8P1) and the only two options I have to change the grill is to either hack up an expensive RS6 grill which I don't fancy doing or to Plasti Dip the current grill.

Everyone I see always has the entire grill black or black with Chrome rings but I want to keep the rings & surround Chrome but with a black grill & licence plate holder.

Many Thanks.

S3

Most people want the all black grill on here. Do a swap with someone . I agree the Chrome surround and rings look better on a black car. Adds a touch of class I would say.

Only problem with swapping for a chrome surround grill is that the centre bars are also chrome & the grill plastic is grey rather black, you could buy the be and make a 'hybrid' grill with black centre & chrome surround but you'd effectively be left with a spare grill that just looks a mess.

I agree the Chrome surround and rings look better on a black car. Adds a touch of class I would say.

I definitely agree! I detest all black with black rings, just think it looks really chavy on what should be a classy car. The rings need to stand out and with a chrome surround to match, makes it look more aggressive as well.

Only problem with swapping for a chrome surround grill is that the centre bars are also chrome & the grill plastic is grey rather black, you could buy the be and make a 'hybrid' grill with black centre & chrome surround but you'd effectively be left with a spare grill that just looks a mess.

I've currently got the standard grill on my S3 so all Chrome (that's SamA3's picture in my OP), therefore all I need to do is Plasti Dip the grill bars and licence plate holder black.

Any takers please?

Well I have to say I like the chrome too, much more classy. I have fitted pressed metal plates from dubmeister and some number plate surrounds that fitted perfectly into the numberplate recess.
See the thumbnail, sorry about the bugs and dirt, just done a 250 mile round trip to London.

Attachments

• IMG_20160302_122259.jpg
    IMG_20160302_122259.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 297
Reactions: HHS3
Well I have to say I like the chrome too, much more classy. I have fitted pressed metal plates from dubmeister and some number plate surrounds that fitted perfectly into the numberplate recess.
See the thumbnail, sorry about the bugs and dirt, just done a 250 mile round trip to London.

That's awesome cheers mate, looks smart!

Think I'm going to go ahead with this as all Chrome looks ok but there's just something about it that I'm not liking. All black, especially on a black car, is a big no no for me though so I'll definitely be keeping the rings and surround Chrome!

That's awesome cheers mate, looks smart!

Think I'm going to go ahead with this as all Chrome looks ok but there's just something about it that I'm not liking. All black, especially on a black car, is a big no no for me though so I'll definitely be keeping the rings and surround Chrome!
Yeah black is so over done now, I like subtle mods and looking OEM, then you know someone really knows there motors when they point them out.

Yeah black is so over done now, I like subtle mods and looking OEM, then you know someone really knows there motors when they point them out.

This is it exactly.

Plus when you pull up at the lights like a wolf in sheep's clothing, if you've had a few performance mods done, and you then proceed to burn someone who thought they would've had you.

If someone could Photoshop the below image instead please (thanks Rabit222 for this) to have a Chrome surround, then that would be great cheers. I'm still torn between leaving it all Chrome or Plasti Dipping the slats black.

DSC00616.jpg

If someone could Photoshop the below image instead please (thanks Rabit222 for this) to have a Chrome surround, then that would be great cheers. I'm still torn between leaving it all Chrome or Plasti Dipping the slats black.

DSC00616.jpg
Looks like a stealth fighter that.:sm4:

Best I could do in a few minutes, on a side note since I've got a little template set up now, who wants to see it in orange?

DeDh7fa.png

Reactions: HHS3
Best I could do in a few minutes

DeDh7fa.png

Great job thanks Snazzy, that's exactly what I wanted to see!

Give you an idea.
Audi_S3_Plus1.jpg

Cheers I do like the honeycomb grill, especially as it would match my honeycomb fog grills but I don't fancy spending a couple hundred quid on an RS6 grill to then hack it up (most likely breaking it in the process) to try make it fit. So blacking up the slats is my only option, just stuck on whether or not to do it haha.

Would the Mk1 RS3 grill be a better option? you would not have to cut it, only have to get the honeycomb painted depending on what grill you manage to get.....

Would the Mk1 RS3 grill be a better option? you would not have to cut it, only have to get the honeycomb painted depending on what grill you manage to get.....

After a lot of digging around and reading what other pre-facelift S3 owners have found from searching & trying themselves, is that not a single RS3/4/5/6 grill etc. from the 06-12 models fits the 06-07 S3 grill as it is a unique design unfortunately. This is why Xenons don't offer a grill conversion like they do with the facelift models, the only grill swap which has ever been done on these is from a hacked up RS6 grill.

Last edited:
Since there's no direct replacement, I've sourced a damaged S3 grille and I'm going to repair and paint it. Might do a progress thread if anyone is interested. If the paint screws up I've always got the other grille I could try again with.

Since there's no direct replacement, I've sourced a damaged S3 grille and I'm going to repair and paint it. Might do a progress thread if anyone is interested. If the paint screws up I've always got the other grille I could try again with.

Sounds good Scotty, I'd be interested in seeing how you get on with this. What colour scheme would you paint the grill?

Sounds good Scotty, I'd be interested in seeing how you get on with this. What colour scheme would you paint the grill?

Ideally matt black everything bar the surround which would be gloss black, leave the Audi rings chrome. But if it needs a cover up gloss everything bar the rings.

Total amateur though so god knows how it'll turn out, the damage is slightly worse than I thought on it.

Ideally matt black everything bar the surround which would be gloss black, leave the Audi rings chrome. But if it needs a cover up gloss everything bar the rings.

Total amateur though so god knows how it'll turn out, the damage is slightly worse than I thought on it.

Sounds good mate, as long as the rings stay chrome then it'll look decent. I hate black rings with a passion, it looks so cheap and just plain awful, I have yet to see a single Audi pull it off!

I'm a complete novice as well mate, I'd have Plasti Dipped my grill if I had any faith in myself haha but best of luck, sure you'll get on fine.

Sounds good mate, as long as the rings stay chrome then it'll look decent. I hate black rings with a passion, it looks so cheap and just plain awful, I have yet to see a single Audi pull it off!

I'm a complete novice as well mate, I'd have Plasti Dipped my grill if I had any faith in myself haha but best of luck, sure you'll get on fine.

I refuse to use plasti dip, did the badges on my Mx-5 last year and they peeled off with heavy rain 2 days later, horrible stuff!

Sorry for the rant :grimacing:

Yeah I was considering plasti dipping my front grill black (minus the badges before anyone flips :whistle2:), after reading up on it, i was recommended to get the dip and some see through coating to protect the dip, and also to remove the grill before spraying. In the end it looked liked a silly idea as the real grill (copy) wasn't much more and was just a simple swap

I refuse to use plasti dip, did the badges on my Mx-5 last year and they peeled off with heavy rain 2 days later, horrible stuff!

Sorry for the rant :grimacing:

No worries, always good to hear different feedback to be fair!

Yeah I was considering plasti dipping my front grill black (minus the badges before anyone flips :whistle2:)

:sweatsmile: Everyone has their own tastes and opinions which is a good thing, otherwise it would be a boring world if we were all the same. Most mods which I'm not a fan of I can at least appreciate what others see in it, however black rings are the only thing that are a big no no for me haha!