help please

oldcar

Reaction score
Guys, my additional coolant pump neck just snapped on my way to work, and lucky that was on a hot day-35C and I just managed to park my car when alarmed.

This is the part. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Audi-A3-...828285?hash=item280c2adffd:g:5CQAAOSwFGNWTHXk

I quickly by passed the pump and joined to ends together with a copper pipe. And ready to work shop on Monday to put a new pump. My question is HOW importance is this additional pump??? Any of you by pass it???? Is it safe ?I thought one water pump is sufficient??/ Just being curious...Thanks guys.

Its for cooling the turbo down after the engine has run... think of it as a turbo timer... its important enough that VAG felt one should be fitted to help the reliability and longevity of the trubo... if you feel you know better than VAG and don't mind your turbo cooking itself to death then by all means remove it...

And before anyone jumps on saying that their A3 doesn't have one this is mostly due to the K04 setups running hotter than the K03 setups and that the S3's etc are 'sportier' and VAG expected them to be 'driven' thus generating more heat...

Replace it...

...for what its worth turbo timers are illegal in the UK... can't speak for Australia but seeing as they hate any kind of modding to cars then who knows :)

<tuffty/>

Reactions: oldcar
Replace it, its going to save your turbo from cooking itself.

@<tuffty/> Does it circulate through the head too?
If it does I think this may have helped my old AMK head crack itself to pieces as my old pump was knackered.
Brand new Bosch on there now :)

Reactions: oldcar
Thansk folksmade it home today, Monday straight to the workshop...I want to see how much does it cost...

Replace it, its going to save your turbo from cooking itself.

@<tuffty/> Does it circulate through the head too?
If it does I think this may have helped my old AMK head crack itself to pieces as my old pump was knackered.
Brand new Bosch on there now :)

No... coolant goes into the turbo from the back of the block and returns via the pump to the top of the rad.. idea is to keep some circulation going to prevent cooking off the oil in the bearings etc...

AMK/BAM heads crack because OE lambda is 1 until hot which K04's get to very quickly... K04 turbo'd engines run hotter than K03 turbo'd ones which is why they crack heads and Golfs/A3's etc tend not too

<tuffty/>

Reactions: scotty_24
all fixed this morning with Bosch oem, total of 450$. Thanks guys.

Reactions: IPG
when i got my car i noticed (after about a month) that this pump was missing!!! the two hoses were joined up with *drum roll* a 17mm socket!!!

so yes it's drivable and doesn't affect the running of the car but like it's mentioned... might not help with the life of th turbo

lucky i didn't drive it that hard in this time because i knew there were some other engine gremlins i needed to fix.

Reactions: oldcar and Perplexer
when i got my car i noticed (after about a month) that this pump was missing!!! the two hoses were joined up with *drum roll* a 17mm socket!!!

so yes it's drivable and doesn't affect the running of the car but like it's mentioned... might not help with the life of th turbo

lucky i didn't drive it that hard in this time because i knew there were some other engine gremlins i needed to fix.
replace it, unless you run 0 boost at 2000rpm light footed.

Reactions: IPG