Front knock headache

s5joe

Reaction score
This has probably been done loads but here we go again i have got a knock on the front go my S3 and its doing my head in i have just had new coilovers fitted with new drop links and i have still got this knock so i have changed the arb d bushes for power flex ones and its not as bad but still there i have just had a 4 wheel alignment done and they have told me it tracked up fine so he would say everything is fine so any ideas now

Its a case of process of elimination in most cases unfortunately. Does it knock on turning, bumps or idle?

If turning, I'd check CV joints. If when idling, check exhaust heat shield or anything lose in the engine bay. For bump knocks is normally the hardest, but a decent mechanic should be able to go over most areas under the car and check for play in any suspension components or anything lose in the engine bay.

I had a Revo CAI move around too much and make a bunch of noise when on bumpy roads, but didn't make any noise when stationary. Only reason I figured out the cause is because it appeared after it was fitted, so was pretty easy to find out.

Like I say though, lots of possibilities, but a decent tech should be able to find it if it can be reproduced easily.

Its a case of process of elimination in most cases unfortunately. Does it knock on turning, bumps or idle?

If turning, I'd check CV joints. If when idling, check exhaust heat shield or anything lose in the engine bay. For bump knocks is normally the hardest, but a decent mechanic should be able to go over most areas under the car and check for play in any suspension components or anything lose in the engine bay.

I had a Revo CAI move around too much and make a bunch of noise when on bumpy roads, but didn't make any noise when stationary. Only reason I figured out the cause is because it appeared after it was fitted, so was pretty easy to find out.

Like I say though, lots of possibilities, but a decent tech should be able to find it if it can be reproduced easily.
its over bumps in the road mate i am sure its bush related but as i say i had it in a very good garage to have the tracking done and he said it was fine when i asked did he find any play in the bushes

front subframe is moving, ECS sell a kit (£70 iirc) dont bother with that, TPS sell the bolts and the two plates for like £9

put it on the ramp, look up at where the subframe joins the shell, you are looking for 'clean' marks, it will prove the subframe is moving, which is giving you the knock, over the last 5 years ive had around 30 cars with a knock thats been this, very common problem

Reactions: DJ_26
put it on the ramp, look up at where the subframe joins the shell, you are looking for 'clean' marks, it will prove the subframe is moving, which is giving you the knock, over the last 5 years ive had around 30 cars with a knock thats been this, very common problem

The moving subframe is a common problem. My car had a knock when either moving off (forward or backward) and it turned out to be the small bush in the dogbone engine mount. At the same time that I had replaced that, I also had a ECS tuning subframe spacer kit which is available in the UK through Awesome GTi (awesomegti.com) and costs around £15. This helped reduced some of the vagueness in the steering and the constant steering corrections you have to make when driving (especially on the motorway). It feels much tighter when steering now, as the subframe is not sliding about; it steers how it's supposed to!

It's worth fitting this kit, even if it doesn't sort out the knock your car has, it will still improve things nonetheless. The rest of the the subframe bolts need to be tightened or "torqued" up to the factory specifications too, because they are known to loosen over time.

Reactions: phil miller
Can you provide link to the parts.. i have knocking and squel and can't find out what it is.

The moving subframe is a common problem. My car had a knock when either moving off (forward or backward) and it turned out to be the small bush in the dogbone engine mount. At the same time that I had replaced that, I also had a ECS tuning subframe spacer kit which is available in the UK through Awesome GTi (awesomegti.com) and costs around £15. This helped reduced some of the vagueness in the steering and the constant steering corrections you have to make when driving (especially on the motorway). It feels much tighter when steering now, as the subframe is not sliding about; it steers how it's supposed to!

It's worth fitting this kit, even if it doesn't sort out the knock your car has, it will still improve things nonetheless. The rest of the the subframe bolts need to be tightened or "torqued" up to the factory specifications too, because they are known to loosen over time.
to be honest i can not see how them washers do anything were the bolts yer

to be honest i can not see how them washers do anything were the bolts yer
There not plain washers, they are perforated both side, which 'bite' into the shell and subframe

TPS sell bolts and plates for pence

Reactions: s5joe
There not plain washers, they are perforated both side, which 'bite' into the shell and subframe

TPS sell bolts and plates for pence

Exactly, they can be likened to the sharp side of a cheese grater. Great example, I know :)

I would love to see how much better a Tyrolsport kit would make the car feel.

Reactions: phil miller
Wonder if tps have them in stock all the time than

Plymouth TPS have 4 plates and dozens of bolts, around 4 years ago i supplied 30 sets on a golf forum, it took 2 weeks to get all the plates lol, i can get the part number tomorrow if you want it?

I guess I am a little confused here. So you get new coilovers fitted and you had no headache knock before your install. Now after the install, you have a headache knock. So the coilovers now have changed the car so dramatically that the bushes need changing, the subframe has moved, the dogbone is dog gone, the CV boots have broken? Now you want to start buying parts to correct a knock which may have nothing to do with the cv boots, subframe, bushes, DB mount. This is madness. I don't know what others opinions are regarding coilovers but I can tell you coilovers make noise. I have all the goodies for performance on my car including upgraded strut mounts front and rear, motor mounts, tyrol kit, tein coilover sleeves, bushes etc and I still have knocks. It's a way of life and I really could care less. As long as the car performs ,the install was appropriate(including new mounts), the car height is appropriate to the spring and the torque specs are correct, then the noise is telling me its working and I always have a smile on my face

Plymouth TPS have 4 plates and dozens of bolts, around 4 years ago i supplied 30 sets on a golf forum, it took 2 weeks to get all the plates lol, i can get the part number tomorrow if you want it?
Yer if you don't mind so I can ring them and get them ordered

I guess I am a little confused here. So you get new coilovers fitted and you had no headache knock before your install. Now after the install, you have a headache knock. So the coilovers now have changed the car so dramatically that the bushes need changing, the subframe has moved, the dogbone is dog gone, the CV boots have broken? Now you want to start buying parts to correct a knock which may have nothing to do with the cv boots, subframe, bushes, DB mount. This is madness. I don't know what others opinions are regarding coilovers but I can tell you coilovers make noise. I have all the goodies for performance on my car including upgraded strut mounts front and rear, motor mounts, tyrol kit, tein coilover sleeves, bushes etc and I still have knocks. It's a way of life and I really could care less. As long as the car performs ,the install was appropriate(including new mounts), the car height is appropriate to the spring and the torque specs are correct, then the noise is telling me its working and I always have a smile on my face
The car had the cheapest coilovers fitted by the garage when I bought it as the old ones had failed so the car was banging and handling like it was on bricks so I changed the coilovers to a good set had it aligned and the knock was still there as I was thinking if something was worn the garage who done the alingment would find something a miss but nothing so here I am.

rite bit of an update done the subframe bolts and its still there but had it looked over again and the steering rack seems to be knocking i have been offered a 2009 one and believe this is a gen 3 and mine is a gen 2 but there is some mods you need to do to have it fitted can anyone help

rite bit of an update done the subframe bolts and its still there but had it looked over again and the steering rack seems to be knocking i have been offered a 2009 one and believe this is a gen 3 and mine is a gen 2 but there is some mods you need to do to have it fitted can anyone help

wiring harness have been changed, iirc thats the only change between the gen 2 and gen 3, looms are like £60 iirc

do these have to be coded in as well

Harness is plug and play, if its a second hand rack then you will just have to do the basic settings like you do after removing the battery

Reactions: s5joe