Darkside Silent Single mass fitted...liking it!

HarryH

Reaction score
The Dual Mass on my Tdi105 had gone bad at 88,000. Juddering all over the place!

I decided to go with the Silent single mass flywheel from Darkside Developments with the Sachs clutch and it feels great! The judder has totally gone and the clutch is light and easy. I had been warned of snatchy clutches after fitting a single mass but thats not the case with this one.

No chatter from the wheel on idle or with air con on.

It's made me enjoy driving the A3 again so would recommend it to anyone thinking of changing.

Now just to solve the knocking from wheels.

Reactions: martinivw
The Dual Mass on my Tdi105 had gone bad at 88,000. Juddering all over the place!

I decided to go with the Silent single mass flywheel from Darkside Developments with the Sachs clutch and it feels great! The judder has totally gone and the clutch is light and easy. I had been warned of snatchy clutches after fitting a single mass but thats not the case with this one.

No chatter from the wheel on idle or with air con on.

It's made me enjoy driving the A3 again so would recommend it to anyone thinking of changing.

Now just to solve the knocking from wheels.
Awesome, I fitted a Southbend Silent SMF a few years back and it has been anything but quiet :(
Darksides clutches are also a great price :)

Personally I wouldn't recommend SMF on cars especially standard ones there isn't any need. In your case the engine doesn't sound like a bag of nails but it's winter and the gearbox oil doesn't get as hot and thin as it will in the summer so you have that to wait for. What they do to make the SMF quiet is just make sure it's heavy. With performance clutches that use SMF they tend to have lighter flywheels.
DMF's give you better gear changes and reduce the work the synchro's have to do in the gearbox . For most cars you won't save a lot of money changing to a SMF unless you own the car long enough to fit another clutch, not something most people do.
You can get LUK clutch kits from https://www.buypartsby.co.uk/
For quite good prices.

I was recommended by Darkside to go with the single mass, the Audi's I have owned have all had issues with DMF's (my luck most likely) so for me it was an answer to not having to worry about bouncing off junctions again. So far it is giving smooth gear changes and running quietly, I will have to report back when the temperature increases a bit but I'm going to stay positive for now, especially after parting with so much money!

Reporting back after a few months and some heat in the air and it's still perfectly silent and running well. Gear changes are smooth and easy so from me it's been worth it. I could have gone Dual Mass but so far I haven't noticed much difference between the two.