Removal of grill

Earl-J

Reaction score
Hi there
I've decided to have my grill painted and want to know how to remove the grill.
It's a 2009 facelift A3 - does the whole front bumper have to come off first or can the grill be removed with the bumper in place ?
Any help appreciated, thanks
Earl J

Hi earl

You will have to remove your full front bumper mate, there's loads of screws that hold your grill in place, there's some really good guides on how to do this if you have a look on google, make sure you put a sheet down on the floor when you take it off to prevent any scratching

Yeah, bumper off, not difficult. Check out @TimWills28 guide. It's job I'll be doing soon as well but waiting for some warmer weather.

Last edited:
Pretty simple tbh. Few torx screws underneath the bumper that hold the undertray and the bumper together. 4 in each wheel arch for the liner. Fold back the arch liner and theres a torx screw on the edge of the bumper and a 10mm bolt that screws into the bumper right behind the headlight and theres 3 torx screws on the top of the grill, looking at you as you open the bonnet. Remember only to pull the bumper off half way and disconnect your fog lights if you have them. Hope this helps

Cant say ive had any experience with headlight washers but id presume its the same process but toud have to remove another plug and a pipe? Theres only one way to find out! Lol

No need to worry about washers, as they are not connected to bumper. When activated, they just push the flaps out on the bumper.

It's not a tough job and can be done on your own in about 10 minutes... 30 if you are doing it for the first time as its not immediately clear which screws need to come out.

You will need an extension to the 10mm socket for the bolt at the back of the bumper as they sit quite far in there. A mechanics magnet can also useful when placing the same bolt back.

Watch out for the catches on the sides of bumper as these can snap if you are not careful.

To take the arch screws out it would help to turn the wheels to either side for easier access. No need to take the wheels off or lift the car in any way.