Audi A4 Avant 1.8T Issues (B6/2004)

aa89

Reaction score
Evening all,

I recently bought a A4 Avant 1.8t S Line (Auto), after driving it for a short while, the traction control light came on and the cruise control was not functional, gave it into the garage and it was a brake light sensor that needed replacing - so that got replaced.

When the garage replaced that, it then bought up the tration control and ABS light and the fault code was G201 - Brake Pressure Sensor. The garage switched a sensor over from another car but the light was still on, I then spoke to a few garages and it appears to be a common fault on these and it means getting the ABS control unit rebuilt, so I send the part to ECU Testing to test and repair the ABS control unit, however, they come back to me saying they couldn't find any issues with it all - at this point i'm scratching my head.

Luckily, I found another ABS Control Uni which was identical - all part numbers etc matched up etc. I coded that upto the car and hey presto, it worked fine BUT when in traffic and constantly on/off the brakes, it triggers something and the ABS and Traction Control light come on, if you turn the car off, it goes away until you keep pressing the brakes to imitate you're in traffic all the whilst the car is moving slightly forward.

The garage I gave the car to have no idea what to do next, we can buy a switch from Audi for £200, but that seems expensive considering if that doesn't cure the problem i'm not able to return the switch. The car is parked up now till I find some answers.

I suspect it might have something to do with the brake light switch because before we replaced it, the onl fault code it was showing was the brake light switch, as soon as we changed it for a new one, the fault code G201 - Brake Pressure Sensor came up and ECU testing said the ABS Control Unit was fine. I took the car for a drive (15 miles) yesterday and all was behaving as expected, only when I got caught behind a couple cars at a junction (braking, edging forward, braking, edging forward - repeat process) the lights come back on!!
zx11.gif

Anyone experienced this before or able to shed light to the issue?

Thanks in advance

G201 is the sensor not the actual fault code. Post the actual DTC fault code & that should help members to assist.

I can ask the garage when i visit them tomorrow, all i know is that it came up with brake pressure sensor, but let me get the correct code tomorrow. Thanks.

Hi, just spoken to the garage who used a VAGCOM machine - the code that appeared was G201 - Brake Pressure Sensor.

Problem fixed, brake light switch was not installed correctly, is now and all is working fine.