Please help

SamHendry

Reaction score
hello all. Drove my 2000 S3 onto my driveway and allowed to idle for 20 minutes. Whilst it was idling there was steam coming from the bonnet catch area?? Then the two cooling fans would kick in for no more than 5 seconds. And the steam would disappear. And the same process would repeat.

Can't scan the car due to my laptop being goosed.

Any help would be great.

Another thing when I turn my AC on the fans don't come on? Is this right?

Sounds like you have a leak... looks for signs of pink coolant (assuming you are using G12)

Fans should run at slow speed all the time when the AC is on... they turn off if in ECON mode until the coolant temp gets to around 96 degrees...

Its plausible that the low speed circuit of the fans is not working, its also possible that the AC is not working at the moment as the ambient temp is 5deg or lower (AC doesn't operate when the 'snow' symbol is visible on the DIS) or it could be the fuse on top of the battery thats corroded

<tuffty/>

Thanks bud. I'm gonna get the bumper off after work tomorrow. I hope it's not the rad but the steam is quite central so possibly is. Oh ********. Mot on Wednesday and trackday 2 weeks today!