Voice regognition

cappers

Reaction score
Picked up my first Audi last week, sooooo happy A3, 1.6 tdi sportback sport. Been wanting one for some time, now living the dream.

However I am struggling with voice recognition. Is it me, am I missing something, or is it not very good at recognizing speech? When using it I get some very random responses particularly with the phone dialing out. I have an iPhone 6+ if that make any difference. Is there a way to 'train' it to make life easier, or any tips?
Many thanks for any advice

Picked up my first Audi last week, sooooo happy A3, 1.6 tdi sportback sport. Been wanting one for some time, now living the dream.

However I am struggling with voice recognition. Is it me, am I missing something, or is it not very good at recognizing speech? When using it I get some very random responses particularly with the phone dialing out. I have an iPhone 6+ if that make any difference. Is there a way to 'train' it to make life easier, or any tips?
Many thanks for any advice

I find my life is a lot better not touching that button :) Was rubbish in the 8P and now the 8V

Reactions: Ignition1
There's already a discussion going on on this http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/speech-dialogue-system-help.264554/#post-2683013

I've found that with a little patience and "playing" its actually quite good. At times it can get tedious, and sometimes the recognition can be a little "interesting" but stick with it and its better than most on other marques. A useful command when trying selecting from the contacts is "correction" (rather than cancel) as it doesn't always get it right. I've found accentuating the words and it mostly gets it right.

Rather than read the manual (how many pages of commands? LOL), I've sometimes just said "Help" and it talks you through the options. Amazing the ones you can pick up that are useful.

I can understand why some find it annoying - I'd say more frustrating at first, but given I'm often stuck in traffic jams on the M25, its been hours of fun learning what it can do to whittle the hours sitting in the queue away!!

Thanks for your views just wondered if I was missing anything. Tried it on the way home tonight again, but still not great at names you want to call

Yep, names can take a while - mine has problems with "home", get all sorts of funny names appear - so what I have found is rather than say "Cancel", you say "Correction", then (after it has repeated it back to you) you say the name you want again and 99 times out of a 100 you get the one you want.

Reactions: pburv
There is a learn feature somewhere - it'll ask you to say certain words and hence theoretically improve..

I need to try this out... I gave up using voice after the first day

I need to try this out... I gave up using voice after the first day

.....don't do it to yourself!! lol

This guy had voice recognition in his car and look what happened.................

nerd-raging-imgur.gif

Reactions: Jassyo06
There is a learn feature somewhere - it'll ask you to say certain words and hence theoretically improve..
Any idea where the 'learn' feature is? May do it for my most commonly used phrases.
Anyone?

I think it's in car setup --> setup --> voice recognition --> individual training

I think it's in car setup --> setup --> voice recognition --> individual training
Ah thanks for that didn't realise that was there. I have now done the training, but seems to be more for 'system' commands rather than specific ad-hoc (contacts?)
I was hoping that you could put some voice tags on contacts , as the one I use most (my missus) it just does not recognise the voice command for her

tried the voice training, it's not impressed by the Aussie accent...:laughing:

Reactions: Simon L and Jassyo06
I did the "individual training" the other day and found the recognition has improved significantly. Enough so that I may...MAY...start using it.

Problem is I'm so used to Siri / Cortana / Google Now - which let you talk naturally - that using specific phrases is difficult. It would be great if, via Bluetooth, you could use Siri to control car functions like Sat Nav etc.

I think Audi are doing that soon though...

I hate it and often knock the button by mistake........stupid thing!

On a separate note - one button I really like is the configurable button (one with the * ). I have mine set to switch voice navigation on or off. I'd rather have another configurable button than voice control!

One Tip that may be useful and works well id that if I do want to call my missus, it does not recognize her specific name, but if I say 'Call <my surname> it brings up all my family members in my phone and, I just select the appropriate one. Seems work much better than just saying her name which does not recognise at all