Audi S3 8p - not the normal exhaust questions!

tonydata

Reaction score
Hi people, anyone know what this part of the standard exhaust is, what it does, why it's there and if it can be cut out and replaced if it's got a big hole in it?

2016-03-14%2019.24.26_zps4howkzj4.png

The "what" is just cos' I'm clueless about exhausts, the "if" is cos' someone I know said they think it can be done!

Cheers :blink:

It's a flexi section, it allows for some movement in the exhaust as obviously it expands and contracts with heat and this allows for that without the exhaust cracking as far as I understand :)

Reactions: tonydata
Thanks @Carlos85 and @S3dave1990 I wondered if it did something with sound or emissions, who knows... Audi put it there for a reason... Thought maybe more than just movement...? Could be a simple fix/chop and replace...?

Mine is going into get the very same bit fixed on friday, been quoted 120 to do the job

I'm pretty certain it's just for the movement in the exhaust as I said earlier it expands and contracts but also the engine moves under load so with a solid exhaust you would end up with cabin vibration etc and snapping welds on the exhaust...

Just cut the two y out each end and put a straight piece of pipe to join it back together You have still got a flexi in the downpipe that will take up any movement it will be no different than any other aftermarket exhaust set up none of them have a flex in the centre just in the downpipe

Just cut the two y out each end and put a straight piece of pipe to join it back together You have still got a flexi in the downpipe that will take up any movement it will be no different than any other aftermarket exhaust set up none of them have a flex in the centre just in the downpipe

Really? So cut as per below and stick a straight piece in?!

2016-03-15%2011.21.58-01_zpsxaco2hqu.jpeg

So one bit is for movement, what's the bigger section for? Sound?

Reactions: Carlos85
Mine is going into get the very same bit fixed on friday, been quoted 120 to do the job

Are they doing it in situ do you know? Or... taking it off to do? replacing the piece or fixing? I thought flexi was tricky to fix...?

Are they doing it in situ do you know? Or... taking it off to do? replacing the piece or fixing? I thought flexi was tricky to fix...?
They are doing it on the car, just cut the old one off and fit a new flexi

Really? So cut as per below and stick a straight piece in?!

2016-03-15%2011.21.58-01_zpsxaco2hqu.jpeg

So one bit is for movement, what's the bigger section for? Sound?
Yes mate it will be fine