White smoke help :/

Msp-Dan

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new here so apologise if is an over used thread just after help as I'm not great with the old internet only my spanners.

I have a S3 8L which has developed white smoke. It only does it on idle when warm but when it's warm it's smells and is like mist behind the car when driven.

I have checked a few things, the oil breather pipe and tip were split so changed these and also noticed rocker cover is leaking.

The car has been sat three months before I got it as it failed it's mot on fast idle 2 emissions.

Anyway just after some help as to whether it's going be serious or the above issues would cause the problem?

I'm thinking possibly turbo seal or valve stem seals.

If anyone has similar issue or could help please let me know

Many thanks

Is it using coolant? My S3 had a cracked head and was using coolant and would smoke like a steam train when warming up.
When we whipped the old head off it was cracked and the piston crowns were black and tarred up due to failed stem seals.
Bearing in mind I had the head off 6 months earlier or so to fit Rods and the crowns were squeaky clean prior.
Compression test confirmed something was up, which was what lead us to remove the head.

Also worth a note, all 1.8T are a nightmare for condensation and white smoke when its cold, my fresh built engine is "steamy" in the cold

White smoke can also be unburnt oil from the turbo seals...

<tuffty/>

Reactions: scotty_24
Head gasket would be my first thought, check the oil cap for mayonnaise type white sludge, which would point to this.

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. The car is not using water and has no mayonnaise on the oil cap.

I did think it could be the turbo oil seal or stem seals so will have inspect as the smoke is too much for condensation.

I just wondered if anyone had similar issue I know my mate did in his 1.8t a3 and turned out was turbo seals when we inspected it.

I just don't want run the car till it is sorted

Thanks

Is the oil level dropping? how often have you had to top up?

<tuffty/>

It was low when I got it but it's not on the road as needs an mot. I did find the oil breather split and a leaking rocker cover gasket so presumed that was the fact of the low oil but do have my doubts on the turbo

Turbo seals would normally be blue smoke rather than white, as you would be burning oil, white smoke is water based, steam in other words.

Thanks for the replies the car is definitely burning oil I had it up for the headlight aim this morning and I need a headlight and the garage have confirmed its burning oil.

It also is hesitant on boost and drops off at 3.5k then comes back on and dies off at 4.5k again.

Hope people can help see this be a very expensive repair :/