Anyone tried Terraclean ?

Ray.81

Reaction score
Seen this advertised recently as fuel system cleaner. Has anyone tried it ? Was quoted £120 for the service

i honestly think its a waste of money ,would love to see a before and after of the inside of an engine which has had it done . doubt it can make that much difference

I had it done but i cant tell you if it did anything on its own as it was part of a remap package.

i read very mixed reviews online before having it added on, 50% say complete waste of cash the other 50% say its real good.

Think I paid £99 as i said it was included with a map package so was a bit cheaper but i thought it cant do the car any harm

Ok, terraclean, its a placebo, its marketed by a firm called Randstad, Randstad started out selling mega cheap bulb mail order to the trade, and then branched out to workshop sundry items, there is no proof it does what it claims to do for any length of time, the £120 would be better spent on oil change and a tank full of V Power

Reactions: hollows wife
I've seen mixed reviews myself. Also seen it on wheeler dealers , but not come across anyone that's been able to say "yeah it works and this why" . I did read that Suburu have added to their service schedule for Impreza's

I've seen mixed reviews myself. Also seen it on wheeler dealers , but not come across anyone that's been able to say "yeah it works and this why" . I did read that Suburu have added to their service schedule for Impreza's

If it was that good id expect more of the 'big' companies would have taken it on

I had it done on a Megane sport I had a few years ago as the injectors suffer bad with clogging up and you have to get them cleaned in a ultrasonic bath and heard this done the same so got it done and lasted about a day before the problem was back got them out and done properly and it never returned so in my eye not worth it

Try looking at something called engine carbon cleaning, it pops up on my Facebook alot and has nothing but good reviews. Apparently it cleans all the engine when they do it without using chemicals as apparently a terraclean uses chemicals. I've been looking at getting it done but I'm in Yorkshire and the one I have seen operates in Yorkshire/Lancashire but I'm sure there must be one near your area

Reactions: martinivw
On the TFSi engines,carbon deposits collect on the intake valves and can limit power.

On the diesels with variable geometry,it can collect on and clog up the vanes.

Depending on which you have,it can be worth having the parts cleaned.....I've had the inlet valves on mine cleaned out a couple of times,but only using walnut blasting rather than any of the chemical methods,which aren't as effective.

Reactions: martinivw
On the TFSi engines,carbon deposits collect on the intake valves and can limit power.

On the diesels with variable geometry,it can collect on and clog up the vanes.

Depending on which you have,it can be worth having the parts cleaned.....I've had the inlet valves on mine cleaned out a couple of times,but only using walnut blasting rather than any of the chemical methods,which aren't as effective.
do you clean your valves yourself

do you clean your valves yourself

God no....I can put oil in the car myself and find interesting new bits...that's all.

Before walnut blasting...

After....

Mine was done by AMDTUNING.

Id never heard of it until today, and ive just seen someone on FB talking about this aswell, im gonna look in to this a bit more, sounds interesting

Id never heard of it until today, and ive just seen someone on FB talking about this aswell, im gonna look in to this a bit more, sounds interesting

It really applies mostly to direct injection petrol engines,with a lot of the breathers recirculating into the inlet to reduce emissions.

I think the issue seems less troublesome with DI diesels,or at least reported less often.

Did it make any difference.

Definitely.

On the RS4 V8,this sort of cleaning can produce a good few horses hidden under the muck.
On mine,less easy to quantify as each time has been combined with big engine mods,but the last one before another round of engine mods left the car feeling better at the top end,as you might expect.

Dealing with this is one thing(and walnut blasting isn't very costly) but curing it is another altogether.

Reactions: s5joe
My neighbour was down 100bhp on his V8 RS4 before the clean. He had his walnut blasted at MRC Tunning. Media blasting is the best way of cleaning this stuff out, but as a quick fix, Engine Carbon Clean seemed to work for me at VAG Tunning show last year. Sorted out hints of rough idle and made the engine sound a little less 'tapetty'. It's meant to be much better than Terraclean, which is only able to touch areas where fuel is present. Carbon clean works in a different way and seemed to chuck a fair bit of black residue out of the exhaust when my car was being done.

Reactions: alex23, Sherv and S3Alex
Got mine carbon cleaned on Saturday before my remap. It cleans the turbo, injector, injector tips and inlet manifold. Not sure about the EGR.