Thule bars - black or chrome??

gregparkbmx

Reaction score
Hey guys, new to here and am in need! As title says, which do people prefer?
Just can't decide which set I want to keep on the new S3!

Cheers

chrome goes with the mirror caps but I'd go black myself, and then get carbon mirror caps

black, seeing as you have the BSP!

Reactions: Rob2k68
Silver to compliment your mirrors, if you go black to compliment your black pack, then your mirrors are the odd thing out! :)

Cheers chaps, think I'm edging towards the black, bit more aggressive looking. I kinda like the wing mirrors in chrome on their own, bit of a stand out S3 feature.

Does it matter? It's a roof rack. It's like asking what colour spanner is best.

It's a tool you use occasionally then remove and throw in the shed until next time. I wouldn't worry about it, but i'll leave you with the knowledge that the black scratches very easily, while the silver looks very dull after a few uses.

It does indeed matter when they will be on there for the vast majority of the year in my case, thanks none the less

Reactions: Martinbanshee
In that case, I'd suggest getting a silver pair and having them powder coated. The black ones I had scratched really easily, and the silver ones on my current car look like they've been at the bottom of a lake after only 4 months. If you'd like them to look nice from a cosmetic point of view (presumably the reason you asked) then I think a robust powder coat is probably the best option.

I've used Maldon shot blasting a few times for delicate things like bicycle frames, so they will be able to apply something that looks good and lasts, whether it be silver, gloss black or even a pseudo chrome effect you're after.

http://ctc-powder-coating.co.uk

Black. Compliments the BSP and as you say, allow the mirrors to stand out.

:D

Also, get some 3M protection tape to go under the mounts. After 3 months my Clio looked like it had been sandpapered under the front mounting points.

Thanks that's not a bad shout, just gota pluck up the courage to put he bike up there now!

Do you have Thule bike carriers? If so, then you needn't worry.

If you've got aluminium or steel frames, then I can recommend the Thule 591's. They manage to hang on to my lardy electric home built Franken-bike without issue, even when I have forgotten it's up there and thrown the car down a twisty B road without thinking.

Use the fork mount ones for carbon frames, since the clamps on the other mounts can squeeze a bit to hard.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    801.8 KB · Views: 217
That's quite an impressive machine there! Thule bike carriers so I have every faith in them, just not quite as much faith in myself aha! Now to find some of this 3M protective tape!