Short pressed plates

MA3TDIQ

Reaction score
Got a 5 digit reg number so want to get a short pressed plate which will look nice with the audi grill.

I thought dubmeister did pressed plates but they are all just the standard size - 520 x 110.

Does anyone know where I can get a short pressed plate made (330 x 110) - UK legal spec?

Thanks!

Reactions: LukeJS3
A short number plate would probably not be long enough to give the correct sized digits or spaces. If that's what you want them you would have to buy from a source outside the UK, 'Showplates' for instance

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure with my Reg number only having 5 digits it can be legally spaced to UK spec with a length of 330!

Probably will but a UK plate supplier can and will only supply the full sized plate however many digits you have on it. You need a dodgy (according to the DVLA) plate supplier such as Showplates.

Oh, this old chestnut :) I have a fully-legal, short, pressed plate on the front:
20160312 163812

On a trip to Scotland over the New Year I got stopped for having an 'illegal' front plate (metal, pressed, reflective with proper size/spacing and font) and heard many arguments from the officer in question as to why he was right, but in the end he could argue and setted on only one point - no post code of plate manufacturer on the plate. He even had to get some sort of rule guide book out to confirm the details.

Anyway, here is what the UK government has to say on this matter (https://www.gov.uk/displaying-number-plates/rules-number-plates):

Your number plates should:
  • be made from a reflective material
  • display black characters on a white background (front plate)
  • display black characters on a yellow background (rear plate)
  • not have a background pattern
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vehicle-registration-numbers-and-number-plates
  • Characters must be 79mm tall
  • Characters (except the number 1 or letter I) must be 50mm wide
  • The character stroke (the thickness of the black print) must be 14mm
  • The space between characters must be 11mm
  • The space between the age identifier and the random letters must be 33mm
  • The margins at the top, bottom and side of the plate must be 11mm
  • Vertical space between the age identifier and the random numbers must be 19mm
Armed with that, I spoke to unit67 from ebay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/unit67) and called them to get my specific size (~400mm x ~110mm) done for the front with correct spacing, font, letter size, spacing, BS and post code stamps. I'd really like to see me get bothered for my plate again :rtfm:

As far as going to less than 400mm, would depend on whether you have a '1' in the plate itself and if the text can be 11mm or more from the side.

Reactions: Sherv
I really want short pressed plates but don't like the border on them. Can't seem to find anywhere that does them without.
So I'm considering either 3D gel or ultratek short 400mm plates

Have you tried calling the guys I posted above? They can be pretty flexible.

Have you tried calling the guys I posted above? They can be pretty flexible.

I have a 5 digit reg too, are yours 400mm x 110mm? Because I like the look of yours and the lettering (size wise) will be similar on mine to yours

I have a 5 digit reg too, are yours 400mm x 110mm? Because I like the look of yours and the lettering (size wise) will be similar on mine to yours
Yes, my front plate is 400x110mm. I didn't want to make it shorter as I wasn't a fan of how the really short ones looked, plus this one fills the grill and hides the cross member that sits behind the bumper.

Last edited:
Reactions: LukeJS3
I was under the impression that pressed plates weren't legal at all in the UK unless it's an old enough car. That's some good knowledge you inferred onto me leshkin!

Indeed, metal plates can be fully legal as long as they follow the same font, letter size and spacing principles as their plastic counterparts and are strong/reflective enough to satisfy the BS AU 145d standard.

Much more detailed response from the organisation that is involved in actually defining this standard - http://www.bnma.org/faqs.html

The current standard is a performance standard and the panel is keen that it remains non-prescriptive ie the standard does not require the plates to be made of any particular materials as long as they meet the performance requirements - this is designed to encourage innovation by industry. This means for example that in effect that either plastic or metal plates can be used, and this principle will be carried forward into the new standard.

So I got my plates delivered today. I have a 5 digit plate with a 1 in it so my plate is UK legally spaced and only 340mmx110mm.

I have to say it does look the part with honeycomb grill! My question is - what is the best way to fix the number plate to the grill?

I have a 57 plate a3 and would really like to have a chrome grey grill - but so far I have not found any. There seems to be many more choices if you have the 09 a3 onwards :(

Anyone know where I can get grey honeycomb grill with chrome surround for 57 plate (pre-facelift) a3?

Here, or you trawl eBay.

http://www.xenonz.co.uk/audi-a3-2004---2008-to-rs3.html

I doubt you will get a grey one though, black or black seems to be it.

@leshkin, how did you do that....? There are no tyre marks in that photo, very clever.

:blink:

I'm tempted by the xenonz ones but only thing putting me off is the fact they don't offer it with a chrome surround. Also I'm not a big fan of how the rings have been put on with a solid bit of plastic behind the rings.

I really like leshkins grill above! Is that oem?

Anyone else have any pictures of the 04-08 xenonz grill on their car?