Which coilovers?

JamesMadog

Reaction score
Hi all, im guessing this has been discussed before but id like some opinion's on what coilovers are best, preferably i dnt wanna spend over £700-£800, i have H&R lowering springs on atm with standard shocks and im getting more and more annoyed with the crashy bouncy ride the standard shock's give, its spoiling the car and im not enjoying the drive at all, its a 59 plate 3 door 8p2, i dont wanna go low preferably the same sort of height as im at atm about 30mm, arch is just above the tyre, any help would be great,

Regards

I experienced exactly the same as you with H&R's, great at first but slowly settled too much and was awful over speed bumps.
I have KW coilovers now and am more than happy.
Get the best you can afford kw or bilstein is my recommendation

I have just put a se of st xta on mine what are kw internals with a different shell and that have settled in very nice now.

I experienced exactly the same as you with H&R's, great at first but slowly settled too much and was awful over speed bumps.
I have KW coilovers now and am more than happy.
Get the best you can afford kw or bilstein is my recommendation
Hi mate have you got a link to the exact ones you bought??

I have just put a se of st xta on mine what are kw internals with a different shell and that have settled in very nice now.
Where did you get them from? You got any pics?

I do wanna go slightly lower however im not sure if im gonna catch as i have 12.5mm spacers on the front and 20mm on the back, they catch now but only because of the bouncyness from the shocks, do you reckon the coilovers will solve this or should i get my arches rolled?

I've had a ST X kit for well over a year now and it feels great. Seems to have lived through a winter without any issues, suits the UK roads very well and gives a sure-footed feel. Not one for frequent track use as it would be a little on the soft side imho

Combine this with H&R ARBs and an anti-lift kit, and you'll have one fine-handling machine.

I've had a ST X kit for well over a year now and it feels great. Seems to have lived through a winter without any issues, suits the UK roads very well and gives a sure-footed feel. Not one for frequent track use as it would be a little on the soft side imho

Combine this with H&R ARBs and an anti-lift kit, and you'll have one fine-handling machine.
Does it make it any stiffer.

The coilover kit itself is stiffer than stock S3 gear, but more comfortable. It sounds like a contradiction, but it's the big improvement in damping that makes it more comfortable while making the car handle much better. I found the S3 suspension very jarring on anything other than perfect road surface and it would wallow in corners. I raised this in this thread before, so if you want to read that for a much more in-depth description of the differences with ST X and stock: http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/is-s3-standard-suspension-really-that-bad.230061/

Then this was after the ARBs and WALK were done :) - http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/leshkins-sepang-blue-s3-build-thread.256146/#post-2599454

What's are th difference?

And is the mono tube the better ones to have ?

I have ST XTA coilovers on my E46 M3 - they are made by KW and they are very good, I am very happy with them and are still comfortable.

What's are th difference?

And is the mono tube the better ones to have ?

The main difference is that one uses monotube dampers and the other uses twintube dampers. It depends what you want the kit for and what handling characteristics you prefer but put simply I'd say the monotube kit is definitely more handling orientated where as the twintube kit is a little more comfortable.

Bilstein have a great video that explains the differences between the two -

Damian @ DPM Performance

Reactions: Donny_DJ