can i just disconnect the stupid xenon adjusters?

jediknight

Reaction score
Website
www.nathanwillits.com
there driving me nuts. the car is booked in for friday to have the lights looked at...but id love nothing more than to just disconnect them and be able to adjust the lights myself without them wandering up and down again!

ta

Me too! The nearside light has a mind of it's own, pointing down randomly and not resetting until switched off and on again.

Legally all Xenon lights should be self adjusting and have a wash facility.

If anyone can point out the part to disconnect or advise of the replacement part number required, that would be helpful.

Thanks.

I don't think you can adjust them manually though.

So if you disconnected them and had a heavy load, they would be pointing upwards and dazzling oncoming traffic.

I've had mine adjusted twice so far ... pain.

If you look under the rear nearside wheel there will be a multi plug attached to a sensor on the suspension close to the wheel. This is the one to disconnect, there is one also on the front wheel but its the rear that normally goes!

jediknight said:
there driving me nuts. the car is booked in for friday to have the lights looked at...but id love nothing more than to just disconnect them and be able to adjust the lights myself without them wandering up and down again!

ta

i'm pretty sure it'd be an MOT fail if you did.

the motors are there for other peoples safety and are required by law.

wether or not they will be detected at MOT is irrelevant.

Im sure they would find them if your involved in an accident and someone blamed your lights dazzeling them.

even if they are smashed up, its pretty obvious if they both unplugged.

JamS3 said:
If you look under the rear nearside wheel there will be a multi plug attached to a sensor on the suspension close to the wheel. This is the one to disconnect, there is one also on the front wheel but its the rear that normally goes!

I'm totally sick of mine, it's been to Audi twice and they say there's nothing wrong yet whenever I drive at night the driver's side light has a mind of it's own and either lights up the trees or tries to melt the tarmac four feet in front of the car, can't wait for winter when they get more use.

It's the rear sensor causes the problem is it, if that's the case would it not affect both lights at the same time or do they get seperate signals? Any advice appreciated so I can advise the dealer how to fix it!

Take it into the dealers and ask for a reset on their version of vagcom this may solve the problem...if not disconnect the sensors go for a drive and see if they improve.

Or disconnect the sensors one by one and park on level ground a few feet from your garage door or wall and watch them rise to the correct level as you disconnect the sensor, here you should be able to rule out which one is at fault as when you disconnect one it manually re-sets to "level".

Sometimes the plugs on the sensors themselves just need a clean as you can imagine they get all sorts of crap over them being near the wheels!

Oh the lights...... Also had issues with mine, the dealer swapped the motors and all was well for ages, then one of them went back to it's old tricks. As the car was out of warranty the dealer wanted £140 to replace the motor. Bought one from the parts department for £40 and changed it myself. Didn't even have to use VAG com to realign it, perhaps I was lucky.

Regards, John.

Still trying to fix the stupid headlights!

Is the link rod for the front level sensor supposed to be bent as it just doesn't look right?

Both front and back work OK, move the sensors and the lights go up and down together etc. Then you take the car out for a drive and end up with both lights aiming at the floor, the driver's side about 12 feet in front of the car yet Audi keep telling me there's nothing wrong with it. :motz:

I've got a similar problem where my drivers light keeps shining at the road. If I turn off the lights & the ignition, and then re-start I find that the light re-sets to the correct level.

Any ideas for the cause? The dealers already changed the motor

any one know part number for this sensor for the zenon lights.. and have a picture of what it looks like as mine is missing.

Why not change to the setup used on the non zenon lamp A3's, using the manual adjuster on the dash, not sure if the wiring is already there or you would need the loom, might be worth some investigation, I would have thaught that if the motors were at fault, the lights would just stay still and not go up and down at all, has any one thaught about just unplugging the motors themselves instead of the sensors, at least it would appear that the sensors were still connected.

I just unplugged the cables to the motors and adjusted mine in the engine bay. Didnt have a problem at last mot

Just like speedy Steve - had some crazy issues with mine. In the end simply unplugged the motors and got the garage to align them up manually on there machine... Never had any problems since and it's been a year. Also had an MOT since, as long as the beam is set correctly it'll be fine. Happy days!

Are the motors on the back of the headlight? My nearside one occasionally points down.

any one got any pictures of these sensors as my is not there on front shock been taken off before i got car by the looks of it. the is a plug by passanger shock but nothing to plug it in to.

If i remember right the front sensor is on the nearside in the arch liner with a bar going down to the arm

And yes the motors are on the back of the lights

I've noticed in the last month or so that both my headlights are pointing towards the ground, reading through this post somebody mentions about a sensor on or near the rear suspension, it wasn't long ago that I had 2 new rear springs put on the car at Audi dealer, does anybody know if they would of had to touch this sensor when changing the springs over ?

Cheers...

I've noticed in the last month or so that both my headlights are pointing towards the ground, reading through this post somebody mentions about a sensor on or near the rear suspension, it wasn't long ago that I had 2 new rear springs put on the car at Audi dealer, does anybody know if they would of had to touch this sensor when changing the springs over ?

Cheers...
Yes there is a sensor on the rear tie bar, and if they did their job properly they should have disconnected it to get your springs in, otherwise it can strain the electric box or snap the connections... (there is one on the front too)

Yes there is a sensor on the rear tie bar, and if they did their job properly they should have disconnected it to get your springs in, otherwise it can strain the electric box or snap the connections... (there is one on the front too)

Cheers Dave, I'll have a look in a bit, see what's going on...