300 Bhp from a 184 Diesel?

Dan Rae

Reaction score
Going to be fitting my DTUK Stage 2 tuning box soon when I get a few more miles on the car which will take the car up to 250 bhp and 500nm of torque.

Is there any other mods I can do to make it reach the 300 bhp mark?

Probably injectors , fmic and turbo etc .

Or buy a A4 3.0 tdi and just a simple remap.

300hp, from a 2.0 diesel? Wow. I'd like to see a power/torque curve for that. It sounds impressive, but if it's got a power curve that looks like the shard, what will the drivability be like? And how long will a standard transmission last before 500Nm reduces it to its component parts?

Reactions: pburv, Demari46 and Dan Rae
Probably injectors , fmic and turbo etc .

Or buy a A4 3.0 tdi and just a simple remap.
Is it possible to use the S3 intercooler.

Not sure on what turbo to use?

500nm should be fine for the standard transmission, am I silly in saying the S3 will use same transmission?

Last edited:
Even if the S3 transmission is the same, it's still 30% more torque than an S3 produces. The RS3 transmission could probably manage it, but it's unlikely a gearbox with that level of brawn would filter down to a more humble 184 diesel variant.

300bhp from a 2L diesel. Wow makes us wonder why some of here bought S3's. Should have bought a diesel then.

But on a serious note. You'll probably be pushing 230bhp max just from a tuning box any more power and you will be spending a decent amount of money.

Even if the S3 transmission is the same, it's still 30% more torque than an S3 produces. The RS3 transmission could probably manage it, but it's unlikely a gearbox with that level of brawn would filter down to a more humble 184 diesel variant.
Very good point.

300bhp from a 2L diesel. Wow makes us wonder why some of here bought S3's. Should have bought a diesel then.

But on a serious note. You'll probably be pushing 230bhp max just from a tuning box any more power and you will be spending a decent amount of money.

250bhp as previously mentioned and 500nm with DTUK stage 2 tuning box, after talking about the transmission I might just keep it at 250bhp.

250bhp as previously mentioned and 500nm with DTUK stage 2 tuning box, after talking about the transmission I might just keep it at 250bhp.

So you telling me just by adding a tuning box your going to gain almost 70bhp. Wow not too bad. Would love too see some power/torque graphs before and after fitting a tuning box.

It's ******** never gonna hit 250bhp.
210ish best case unless you change the turbo.

Diesels don't make good bhp easily.

Focus on adding smooth ftlb ! That's what they're good for.
Chasing bhp from the fuel of Satan is purely **** measuring imo.

Diesel
4 pots
Na
Boosted
V

Are all better at one thing over the other. Not just bhp...

Reactions: Dan Rae
It doesn't matter if it can handle 300 plus bhp if it can't handle torque.

Hp doesn't bend stuff.

Reactions: S3Alex and Dan Rae
Usually as a rule of thumb with diesels you can get 25% extra power with a tuning box, maybe a little more if you are lucky. You will always get more from a map as long as the person doing it knows what they are doing. There are so many more things you can tweak to get to where you want. However at the end of the day you are working within the confines of the existing hardware.
JD Engineering do a remap for the 184 that goes to just under 240 bhp and and 500Nm .
http://www.jdengineering.nl/2-0-tdi-cr-184pk/
Usually the limitation is with the turbo, I suspect in this case it looks like that turbo needs an upgrade. If it was made into a hybrid with a larger compressor and maybe a modified turbine wheel you would possibly see 270 bhp as a guess. Just depends on how much reserve is in the fuelling set up. At the end of the day 300bhp would probably be achievable but at a cost. And most likely with a different turbo and uprated injectors.
You would also have to go more than 500Nm . As at 4100 RPM 500Nm of torque would give you 288 hp.
http://www.wentec.com/unipower/calculators/power_torque.asp
Of course you would need to upgrade the intercooler as well as well as other hardware such as removal of DPF's and cats.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan Rae
Just buy an S3.

Your car plus the cost to mod to whatever HP you can get will probably take you into S3 anyway.

The modified insurance will likely be more than for a std S3.

My tuned TDI golf I had a few years ago cost double what my S3 did when I changed.

Reactions: S3Alex

This..../\ /\ /\

And on the subject of transmissions....put it this way....

The manual S3 gearbox is good for over 500lbs( I know,mine runs 550lbs),but neither the box nor the driveshafts are good for that sort of torque if you go in for drag starts regularly,or if the engine's torque delivery is very spiky.

The DSG boxes are generally good for around 440lbs before needing serious work on the clutch packs.

But...as has already been said above,there's going to be a lot of engine work needed to get to that point in any case.